Frugal Village Forums banner

I guess it's our turn!

Tags
guess turn
3K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  miss_cas 
#1 ·
DH was informed on Monday that there will be cuts made at work. He is one of those being cut, but at least they are giving him a severance package. After 21 years with the company, he is leaving. I just can't believe it and neither can he. We are thankful for the package they are giving him because it will be used to eliminate all our debt. Then he can take time to decide what he wants to do in the next chapter of his life. He has talked about going back to college and finishing his degree or attending a technical school and learning a new trade. My job will be enough to get us through, but there will be no extras like vacations, etc. We can make it thankfully, but it sure will be different. We will have to learn to live a different lifestyle. We will be losing $60,000 + bonuses a year so you can understand when I say there will be a lifestyle change what I mean. We already use coupons, shop sales, hang out laundry, etc...... BUT now is the time to really kick it up a notch and get on the frugal bandwagon even more - time to get serious with it! Wish us luck in the next chapter of our lives! We are trying to stay positive.

#2 ·
So sorry to hear this! Good luck with the new chapter n your life. You will do fine. Hugs

Reactions: Mom23boys
#4 ·
Shocking news - and after such a long time of employment. You have the attitude to succeed and that means so much now and in the future!! sending prayers, hugs and aloha your way. Please keep us updated as life takes another direction for you.

#11 ·
This has to be a huge shock to both of you after 21 years. You are so much wiser than so many people facing this situation. Debt free. Immediately cutting expenses. Thinking carefully about future plans instead of rushing willy nilly around wasting time and money.

So many use credit cards to keep living as they have been thinking they will find a comparable job right away which really isn't realistic today. They then end up with huge debt problems.

#12 ·
Good luck to you both. I wish him a speedy job recovery :) I think he'd feel great if he can go back to school!

Remember, just breathe.

#14 ·
Years ago, when the spotted owl was put on the endangered list, many loggers in our town were out of a job. It was a dark time in our area. But as they say...when one door closes another one opens, I saw wonderful things happen for people after that. Men went back to college and learned new trades. One of my clients who was "all around logger" in the many logging shows around the state (considered one of the best) returned to school. He became a guidance counselor for a native Indian tribe in the area. He went from a job that tore up his body on a daily basis, to one that fulfilled him in a way he never thought possible. Good things happen from events that shake our world. You and your husband have the right frame of mind, someday you will look back on this and thank this company that it happened. In the meantime use your already acquired frugal skills and remember to enjoy the little things in life. We will be looking forward to hearing how you are doing...

#15 ·
If DH picked up a part-time job while going thru school, it would be a little easier for you. Can he pick up a part-time job within his old profession? This would pay more than a service/retail job surely.

The govt has a reemployment plan that will pay for a 2 year program in school or finishing a degree while paying you unemployment during that time. Check with the unemployment office on this one.

#16 ·
Just wanted to give an update on our situation. DH left the company on July 22nd. He has put out many resumes and applications at a variety of places. So far this week, he has had 4 interviews. Hopefully, something will pan out soon. If he has to work part-time instead of full-time, we know we will survive --- thankfully! We have been luckier than some who have had to face similar circumstances and did not have any monetary funds to fall back on to relieve the stress. I want to thank everyone for the well wishes and encouraging words. I believe that in this chapter of our lives that things will be better than before. We are staying positive!

#18 ·
DH searches on Indeed daily and we have only looked on Craigslist once. We keep forgetting to check it each day for updates. Thanks for the reminder, Russ.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.