Frugal Village Forums banner

Whoaaaaaa Nelly! boy oh boy am I glad I didn't pay off those braces!!!

Tags
braces pay
3K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  LuvMyHubby 
#1 ·
boy oh boy am I glad I didn't pay off those braces!!

sooooo, if you recall, it was just this past week I was debating on whether or not we should spend our EF on paying off the $4600 braces in full, or just keep the payments (no interest)

so today, approx 2:30 pm, hubby calls to tell me that his driver side front tire BROKE off.

Seriously, the metal rod broke off.

I have pics that I'll share when I get home -

so the tire breaks off the rod thingy, bounces back into his driver door, truck hits the ground with enough force to bend the whatchamadosey, and the driver side door won't open.

Estimate $2500 to repair. :puke:

soooooo - boy oh boy am I glad we didn't pay for those braces!!!!

#3 ·
Thank you Debbie ~ after a brief spaz attack, we realized that he very well (and normally would have been) could have been driving 80 mph on the expressway from job to job - instead, he was on his way home early, and was in the right hand lane of a not as busy road.

He did say that the truck jerked into the left lane but he was able to pull back into the right - he was going maybe 35mph

#5 ·
I am so glad to hear he is okay!! The way your post read, I was thinking he got hurt!! Thank God!!!
So......I am glad that you didn't pay off the braces....yet. I am hoping you will still get to pay it off sooner than expected!
Take care!

Reactions: bumplett
#7 ·
Even though it sucks - and it really really sucks - THIS is what an EF is for!!

And the MOST important thing is that noone was hurt.

It's just a truck.
A stupid, ugly, broken truck with 3 wheels, but hey - IT'S PAID FOR!

Reactions: mamamia
#10 ·
How good does that ef feel right now?! Glad to hear its just a small financial bump in the road (ha-ha) and he's ok!

#11 ·
Holy Cow! Now that is super scary! Thank God he wasn't on the expressway! I think I'd snuggle extra close to him tonight. Whew!

Wow, super awesome you had an EF!

#12 ·
Glad he is okay!

Silly questions: Is it anything insurance will pick up? Is it a recall? Hoping one of those two things happen AND you get to pay off the braces!

#13 ·
Nope, collission guys said it was just a fluke that the rod thingie actually broke - it was due to the age and wear & tear on the vehicle....

It's an 8 year old, paid for pick up truck with over 150,000 miles - so I dropped full coverage about 9 months ago because I'm a dipstick.

:thunk:

so.... nope. Due to no fault of our insurance company - we're on our own.

#15 ·
Amazing all things considered - that's not an accident waiting to happen - that's a disaster!! So glad he's not hurt!!

#16 ·
OMG!!!!!
While I was reading your account of what happened, my heart jumped in my throat, your hubby must have been shaking afterwards - HOW SCARY IS THIS!!!!!

In situations like this I always think that there was an angel sitting on his shoulder.

I am so glad that you can have have everything repaired from your EF.

(((HUGS))))

#21 ·
Truck is at the body shop waiting.... they can't begin to order parts until Monday -

we're looking at about 2 weeks -

he can use my car (even though his tools won't all fit) until school starts - so we just have to keep our fingers crossed that his truck is finished by then.

we are going to try to get salvage parts when available.

he's bummed out, but otherwise alright.

thanks for asking :)

#20 ·
Money aside...so glad he wasn't on the freeway. I shutter just to think of it. So happy he's ok and just shaken beyond belief.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.