Frugal Village Forums banner

Can't Afford Jury Duty

10K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  knotme 
#1 ·
I don't know where to put this, and it seems like a hardship right now lol. My husband got a Jury Duty Summons for the second time this year. The first half of this year(6-7 months) he had very little to absolutely no work. He is self employed in construction. When he got it the first time, he went 3 days in a row, all day, and then didn't get picked. We welcomed the $30 they sent us because he wasn't doing anything then anyway.
Now, he just got 5 big commercial jobs that all have a deadline of Nov. 1st or sooner. He cannot afford to take off 3 days or more. I called the court house and they don't care, they don't even care that he has already done it they said he still has to show up.
I don't know what else to do. I could dress like a man and go for him ;)
Does anyone know what will happen if he just skips it?? Really considering that right now. Someone told me that lots of people do that all the time.

#3 ·
I feel for you, I just served this summer. He absolutely cannot just skip, he would be held in contempt of court. He needs to answer the summons and construct a letter to the judge explaining the hardship that this would place on him and on you as a family. Good luck!

#4 ·
I don't know what the courts are like where you are, but in our area, you are allowed to reschedule (done by phone) once. I would see about that option. Here, there is a form on the back to fill out if you have extenuating circumstances. I am the major caregiver to an elderly family member, so I filled it out stating his information and was excused (and haven't been asked again). I just stated that I needed to be home by noon to prepare his afternoon meal and check on him. I would not, however, ignore that. Depending on your county's resources, they may issue an arrest warrant. They do that here. Good luck. I know it's a pain to deal with and NEVER comes at a good time.

#5 ·
I called and they said that's no excuse. They said he could go to court and explain the situation to the judge. At 10am when he is supposed to be working an hour away?? How is that going to work? He will probably just go and then have to pull a few all nighters. It sucks being self employed sometimes. (MOST of the time, actually)

#7 ·
If you don't mind posting what state your in, someone might be familiar with the rules or be able to find a loophole through an interwebz search.

#9 ·
Texas. Apparently they can arrest you for contempt of court and failing to appear for court order, yikes!

#10 ·
I used to live in MA and get summoned every 3 years like clockwork...and never to one of the 2 or 3 courts within 1/2 an hour of my house, always to the Cambridge (Boston) courthouse 1.5 hours away...even when a single Mom in school full time with a young child, they refused to at least move me to a local courthouse. You just KNOW someone in the cambridge area got summoned to one of 'my' courthouses......the system is rather imperfect, but I found it doubtful someone would have to serve twice in a year....I would look into it.

#11 ·
I found out that in TX it is once every 3 months. He served in March, so it's been over 3 months. I got summoned and returned the form with "caregiver" checked off. I am a foster parent and SAHM. Guess he can't get out of it...Boo

#12 ·
My mom was called. When they did jury selection they asked if she knew the defendant. She said yes he's a distant relative and so is his attorney and she had some connection with the other attorney...she was still selected to serve.

The county I live in usually has about 1 jury trial a year so even tho I've been called I've never had to go for jury selection. Since I've worked for attorneys since the 1980's including a few years with the county attorney, I know a lot of the attorneys in the area and quite a few of the Judges (before they were Judges). I kind of doubt any of them would want me on a jury.

I would think a detail explanation of the financial hardship of serving and asking for a postponement would at least give your dh the chance of being excused. I doubt your calling on his behalf did. Generally circumstances have to be dire to get excused. My dh got excused the last time he was called because he's unable to sit for more than a few minutes.

#13 ·
As far as I know, a late-term pregnancy, life-threatening illness or mental illness (with constant auditory noise and/or crazy delusions and/or bad judgment) can get you out of jury duty.

Psych docs are used to excusing their mental patients from jury duty. I know some OB/gyn docs will get a late-term pregnant lady out of duty for a while.

In your husband's case, I would try to schedule the job that is possible to do during the evening while he is working on jury duty. If there is any part of the job 'you' could complete during the day, help out.

#14 ·
When I lived in Ohio I received papers to fill out for jury duty, I put that I was prejudiced against blacks, child molesters, drug dealers, and murders and that i was also on probation I sent the paperwork in and never heard from them again. The only truth was about being on probation this was 7 1/2 years ago and hating child molesters.

In West Virginia they are really tough they tell you in a letter that you need to be available for say this week, then they give you a number to call each night to see if you have to do jury duty or not. I know this because my co-worker went thru this several times.

#15 ·
Yeow.....sorry for you............this does suck.

I have heard of people getting off here for "hardship'.....you don't say where you are at.........maybe we have more people for 'the pool' to draw from.

Sounds like they are strict and picky where you are......

The one time I was called I had just had shoulder surgery......so that got me out of it........my Dr. even signed an RX slip and I sent it in.

#16 ·
That's rough for jury duty. I always get off, because of my current job. They don't want Correctional Officers being on a jury. Can't imagine why? I did get a summons for a county that I don't live in however. My MIL happens to work for the Sherrif's office there so she said she would take care of it. The forms I have gotten in the past have always had a paragraph or so explaining why one might be able to get off of a jury. My mom got off, because of my sister's wedding. I would think if she got off for that your husband could get off for having served twice in one year.

Good luck

#17 ·
You should be good if you go in wearing your OJ shirt ;)

I agree about the bad timing..ive been selected once and it was less than two weeks after giving birth. I got an exemption.

#18 ·
We have had 2 summons for jury duty here. First time it was me who got the summons. I filled out the paperwork and was excused. ( not a citizen) 2nd one was for a son who was currently living in another state for a while but was still considered a resident here. Also excused. My husband would love to serve on a jury, has never been summoned

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.