Frugal Village Forums banner

Hard times..

Tags
hard times
24K views 103 replies 48 participants last post by  GenericGen 
#1 ·
So we have no income at this time totally unprepared

we are selling what we have and looking for work and ways to make money or get money

rent is paid for december

what do you pay first when you money is inconsistent?

Bills are as follows:
Comcast (past due and current) $382
geico (cancellation 17th) $80
vet (automatic w/d) $100
electric y $600 (can probably get away with $150-200)
bankruptcy $342
loan $29 wkly
att (phone) $319 dec 28th
jan rent $885 (awesome landlord would prob work with us)
water not do till jan
dr owed $30
my rx $8 (this week)
kids school $10 (this week)

comcast is $192 past due cable and internet in contract but i think there is no contract termination fees..have a couple of weeks before interruption called today about options : Payment arrangements and/or extension

vet wont cancel payment or change it

geico will work with partial payment extends time by a couple of weeks

electricity is high from the summer months been paying it down total due in dec $600 can probably be ok with $150-200 payment, can do payment arrange where i make a deposit and the remaining is split in 6 payments added to each monthly bill plus the new bill must pay in full on time every month..which im a bit scared will be impossible to manage at this time.

Att - i can probably get a payment arrangement but it might just be cut off for the first time ever in 10 yrs

bankruptcy - due by the end of the month - no options
loan - refinanced small loan last night for an additional $235 deposited in acct tomorrow at $29 a week..we were already paying it, didnt see to much harm in getting a little cash back to help out

i owe my family physican $30 by the end of december but they will work with me

sons school needs $10 this week for breakfast with santa and pic i figured this is the most frugal way to get there pics done this year at $3 ea plus breakfast

rx $8 this week

checking balance
$28

incoming
$235 loan
$200 warranty refund
$300 from parents for xmas for kids
$24 refund

remaining food stamps
$133

-$100 on kids xmas gift already spent
-$100 expected on kids xmas

listed many items on cl
several different video games systems
xmas gifts i bought for other peopple - luckily i spent very little because i shop the deals
my iphone

my iphone has lots of interested might be sold tomorrow for
$135

which then i can lower my plan a lot!

Thanks for any insite!!

See less See more
#3 ·
First of all, hugs to you and your family :hug2: And I will just offer what I might do if faced with the difficulty...

what do you pay first when you money is inconsistent? Shelter and food first So you have $787, you still need $100 for January and have to figure out a way to get at least that much within a few weeks. Sounds like you need to go apply for assistance from whomever and wherever you can get it, start looking to health and human services agencies and call/apply for everything you can get.

jan rent $885 - arrange to pay 1/2 and 1/2 if necessary but I wouldn't let it go past 1/15

electric y $600 (can probably get away with $150-200) - Can you just send them $25? And be vigilant about policing your usage so you don't get more buried.
water not do till jan - Pay a minimum, perhaps $25 to keep them at bay? Again, be completely careful about your usage so you don't get further buried.

my rx $8 (this week) - Go get it.

geico (cancellation 17th) $80 - can you do without driving? Any other options for transportation?

Comcast (past due and current) $382 - CANCEL and they can wait
vet (automatic w/d) $100 - Call your bank and cancel it.
dr owed $30 - THEY CAN WAIT
bankruptcy $342 - I don't know how this works so I can't offer advice
att (phone) $319 dec 28th - CANCEL and get ONE prepaid phone with only minimum usage for calling school or your parents, then let ATT wait for payment, or see if you can go on your parents plan for cheap? That is who I would ask first, I would ask for it as a Christmas present.

loan $29 wkly - I don't know what this is so can't offer advice but sounds like it can WAIT

kids school $10 (this week) - I think you can buy breakfast cereal for cheaper and pictures are completely unnecessary. It hurts but you are in a dire emergency, every dollar counts. Otherwise call the school and ask what they can do to make this happen for $0.00, usually they have free lunches to families who qualify, see if this falls under that umbrella since it's breakfast. I know some kids get everything for free because of their financial status. Also, be sure to apply for FREE lunches if you don't already get them.

-$100 on kids xmas gift already spent
-$100 expected on kids xmas

Does this actually mean you think you are going to spend more money on Christmas?? If so, absolutely don't do it! If you can find a place (Salv. Army) where you can apply to be a recipient family, you are NEEDY and qualify for help. You can't afford to spend ANYTHING on Christmas. You need to return every single gift you bought in order to get your cash back for SHELTER and FOOD. I pray you recognize that Christmas is only one day. It sounds like you have school-age kids so I understand wanting to do presents for Christmas but you are in dire need of help.

I hope all works out and I pray that your family can make ends meet especially for your kids' sake. Again, look for assistance, you are in need of help. Prayers to your family during this time. :santasm2:

#4 ·
Getting ready for work so without saying any more at this point I will say this and I'm sure you are already aware of it.

You have a bankruptcy payment there so apparently you filed a Chapter 13. If you default on it the bankruptcy is thrown out and all creditors can then come after you again. The Trustee/Court alerts all creditors that it is not in bankruptcy anymore. You can't file again for another 6 months.

I'm in no way saying pay the Trustee before eating please understand that. Just wanted you to know this in making your decisions. Not all lawyers tell all the details before filing.

Hugs and will follow thread later. I'm so sorry.

#5 ·
~As I see it, you need to make more money fast. Selling everything you can is a great start!
If your kids are in school then you can work. How about printing up a flyer to clean houses for or after the holidays? Can you bake anything? Fresh goodies and candy trays sell really well this time of the year. Can you provide childcare or pet sitting? Call your friends and ask if you can work for or make things for them. Visit local churches and talk to the pastors about your situation. Ask the church to pray for your family and you may be surprised how many people want to help you. Yes it's humiliating but being homeless would be a lot worse.~

#6 ·
I hate ironing....and for the very first time, I took dh's shirts to the cleaners so I can have a break during the holidays.....can you iron?? I would gladly pay someone what I am paying the cleaners, if I knew they needed help! Look under *Gigs* on Craigslist for temp/one time jobs. I once earned 40.00 by folding someone's huge pile of laundry!!!! (4 hours worth!)

#7 ·
Went through the same situation in the 80's.
I was about 8 months pregnant, ex laid off without warning and we were already broke in the first place. We packed up everything we could fit in our old caprice classic, plus one toddler and a cat and moved to Mississippi from N.C. We moved in a small trailer ( a dump in a dicey area) for 50 a week utilities included and yes you can still find dumps like that. My ex went to work with his Dad for 6.50 an hour, was used to making 12. I applied for food stamps and medicaid. Paid what I could on the old electric bill etc. and lived on a shoe string budget until we could do better. It was hard, ate a lot of beans and we made the best of it, cleaned up the dump and made it a home. Actually kind of cute once I was through, had a lot if moral support from my ex's family, but we were all poor.

Really no advice, but thought you might get something out of my experience. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

#13 ·
Did you they actually say no and explain why? The reason I ask is I have 1 tattoo and a piercing . Dh has 9 tattoos. We both were eligible to donate. The only rule was it had to be 1 year since your last tattoo and of course your tests had to come back hep and aids free. I'm just wondering if you got someone who didnt feel like answering ?'s.

How far is downtown?

#16 ·
Are you crafty? Maybe you could make some items to sell?

I would be taking a hard look around my house and selling whatever I could.

I agree with alot of what sacramoni said. You can't afford to spend another cent on Christmas. Cancel cable. Only the necessities for now.

**hugs**

Reactions: sahm2boys
#17 ·
House phone AND cell phone?
Agree, cancel cable...we did without it over a year and half. Library or borrow DVD's.

Reactions: Lindsey
#18 ·
Darn I was hoping you just got someone that gave you a short answer cuz they were busy or something.

I hope some of your items sell quickly for you.

This wont get you any $ but is there somewhere close you can volunteer? It will make you feel good and take your mind off things. Who knows what doors could open.

Nikko is right on no cable. You need the cash for necessities. They can threaten you all they want if you cut it off and are behind but they can't take if you have no income

#19 ·
I agree with what others have said- I'd just do basic utilities, food, and your bankruptcy. Cancel cable, phone, vet bill, put off doctor bill, etc. Then I'd sell everything I can and look for even temporary work. Put out an ad saying you'll wrap presents, run errands, clean houses, work 3rd shift at Walmart- whatever. It is the holidays and people might need extra helpers. I'm so sorry you are going through this. We've been there and had to prioritize several times. It's challenging.

#21 ·
Wishing you all the luck in the world!

#24 ·
First I am sorry you are having to go through this; it's tough and worse at this time of year.

Not sure what the vet bill is for, but you have control over YOUR checking account. Tell bank to cancel it and shame on vet for not working with you; sorry but food and shelter for you is MOST important.

Don't mean to sound mean, but why didn't you turn off air when your bill was getting higher and higher and not being paid in full? Why do you even have an iphone when other bills are not getting paid?

I do not have an I phone; don't have cable and turn off air when bills are getting too high to afford. Only telling you this because I do what I have to do to keep bills affordable.

#27 ·
we had enough income to pay the bills
until now...i got the ipone free with my contract renewal which i have had for 10 years.
summer months are always high and i never pay it in full during those months..lived here for 7 years

#25 ·
Please, as soon as you can, go to the Salvation Army in your area. They provide emergency utility assistance, grocery vouchers, and at Christmas, they provide presents for the children. You will probably have to fill out some type of application, but, if you have no income, I am sure you will qualify for assistance. At this time of year, they receive a lot of requests for help, so please don't wait. Hugs to you !!

#26 ·
Best of luck to you tomorrow at your job interview. Just thinking along the lines of taking in ironing, if you can do alterations especially hemming pants and skirts that would bring in $10 per item I would think. I can't sew, but I know someone who has to have all of the hems shortened and they pay $10 for each item.

A2M

#31 ·
you said that you hubby had his own equipment when talking about tattos, why isn't he lineing up people to give tats to for $$. If he is any good at his craft, he should be able to make quite a bit doing this. Tats are NOT cheap.

and I have to agree... why were the bills not paid in full. Budget after 7 years would/should have long been established to reflect the higher months so that they were well covered.

other ideas, include baking, homemade soap (as long as you do bars and powder it is very easy to ship.)

You said that you don't have an EF, do you at least have a stockpile?

#33 ·
he is trying to line people up did 2 last night

i didnt pay electric bill in full because its the only bill with wiggle room and i have always done it that way.

sorry if some disagree..electric bill doesnt make or brake my situration

job interview went well

thanks!!

#32 ·
Just a thought...when this is over ... on the electric...if you set up a budget plan with them it would be the same every month with only one with a guess work...the last one where they owe you or you owe them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.