Frugal Village Forums banner

Is this where I sign up for the layoff department? :(

10K views 45 replies 30 participants last post by  kimmy4433 
#1 ·
I checked my phone this morning and I had an email that let me know the alarm at the house was off, so I call DH.

"Where are you?"
"I'm at home."
"But why?"
"I'll tell you when you get home."

So I walk in the front door and ask him what the story was.

It turns out he got laid off as of this morning and he didn't want to call me and ruin my day out with DS13 getting everything set up for him. He went to his parents and came home about 12:15 with some moose burger and a turkey (don't ask) and told me that he hasn't yet signed the papers because well, it's a shock to him.

Count me in.

He has benefits for the next eight weeks and they gave him thirteen weeks of pay.

I just... ugh.

#2 ·
Hate it went we're blindsided like this and am so sorry this has happened to you family. Were there any signs that this might happen? Please keep us updated.

#3 ·
Nah, there weren't any at all. DH had just gone back to work yesterday after having taken a week off (paid vacation).

I'm just beside myself right now and I'm not sure how to deal with it.

#4 ·
Oh no :( Nothing like being blindsided.

One time DH was called while we were on vacation and told he was laid off and to come pick up his things.

Deep breath. A plan will come together. And the 13 weeks of pay will certainly help :hugz:

#5 ·
I'm so sorry- let us know when the silver lining turns up!

#8 ·
so sorry
i know you are in canada but only thing i can offer is to start looking this second .

when my dh found out he and our son we laid off at 4pm on a friday they were given 2 weeks notice no severance etc

before he even got in the car to drive home he was on the phone calling people in the business he use to work for - head hunters that use to contact him re jobs over the years

agents he bonded asking them if they knew of any
my son called people his age he knew from his part of the office that had moved to new jobs in the past 2 years - looked them up on FB if they werent already friends.

i dont think i spoke more than a few words with him from that friday to that monday when he had to go in again he was on the phone the whole time talking with old co workers etc who might know of leads etc

they worked in a specialized area of their industry which was good and bad if there was a job less people were qualified but if there wasnt a job it would have been harder to get one.

dont think of that 13 weeks pay as a okay relax a week and let the shock wear off and then start looking in a week - employers are more impressed if you can show you started looking right away - even if he thinks there's nothing to be found ..

the job my husband got wasnt even created yet - a company that wanted him in the past posted the posistion on their website - gave him the direct link so he could apply -it even in a hiring freeze for that company.

if we went by the want ads - or even by just what the headhunters said was out there he would not have got a job .

best of luck to him !

#9 ·
Oh NO!!! Weren't we just talking about Murphy over on that other thread? I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you that something comes up soon!

#11 ·
I'm so sorry. Does the area you moved to have prospects? Wish there was something more I could say than I'm sorry but my thoughts are with all of you.

#13 ·
I'm so sorry to hear this. It happened to my dh that way too. Went in early for a meeting and was told they were being laid off. That was about 2 years ago, and to this day when I Hear the garage door open earlier than expected, I get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

#14 ·
Oh Gosh :hugz: I'll be praying for your DH to get back to work soon. We were blindsided over 4 years ago, sucks the air right out of your lungs.

#15 ·
I am so sorry!!! Okay after the shock wears off take a deep breath and prepare to put one foot in front of the other you can weather this storm. I have always enjoyed your posts you are very resourceful.

#17 ·
Thanks guys :)

I'm thinking the shock's starting to wear off because I honestly laid on the couch for a few hours and didn't want to do ANYTHING else. But I guess things must keep moving on, huh?

Yeah Libby, we moved here for that very job. When DH got here and thought he was going to do the same job he had in Calgary, he found out wrong. Then since he'd been there, he'd had problem after problem medically and he's been downright miserable. I think that's where he sees this as a blessing.

Murphy's socking us real good in the gut and I had gotten used to it. But this is just, ugh, unreal. :(

We're looking at options and I told him that all secondary spending has to be frozen if we're going to be okay. He thinks that even with thirteen weeks of pay, we'll be fine because we also have the tax return and such. I'm just trying to tighten the belt a whole lot to help us absorb this blow.

He knows that EI benefits do not pay for at least 28 days after he files and he's looking into a lot of things. I told him we should have just went to Vancouver when his old boss offered, but he wanted to be up here.

And you're right, we are near family. But being the prideful woman that I've always been, leaning on family is just as hard for me as this is. I know not a lot of people out there have that and I am thankful for it, but my mother always taught me to stand on my own feet and do what I needed to to survive. :)

The good thing in this is that the grocery budget won't go up. DH's lunch cost can be halved or even more with him being here until he finds another job. I start school March 12th and with this change in situation comes the chance that we may qualify for even more help with that area.

It's just way way too much to absorb and I'm thinking I need to find another way to get my mind off of things. :)

#19 ·
That totally sucks. Something better will come along, I'm sure of it.

#20 ·
That totally bites :( I'm sorry you guys were hit with this now, but you're strong and resourceful, I know you'll figure it out, get through it and come out the otherside in a better position that you started in!

#21 ·
Just checking in to see how you're doing ... Love reading all the positive things that have been written!!

#22 ·
I appreciate all of the positive posts as well! :)

I'm a little better today, I think. The shock is still there, but the reality is setting in. I have a lot more emotionally going on that makes this that much worse, but DH has accepted it and as such, so must I.

We haven't told the kids yet, but his family and my mother knows about it.

He's signing the letter today after having reviewed his contract that he signed back in September 2010 (when he accepted the position). We're taking that letter to his former employer today and getting that taken care of. We're also heading down to DS13's doctor to drop off some other paperwork.

It's just surreal. It's like waking up in someone else's bad dream. But since Murphy has been kicking us in the rear since July, I think we're a bit more able to handle this than if we hadn't.

He cannot file for EI benefits until the money he's being paid by the company is paid out. But, we are going tomorrow to my school and talking to the woman in charge of financial aid about our change in financial situation.

DH's taxes were submitted and we're waiting on that money. I also have a tax credit I'm applying for and we might end up using some of that money, but that might take a while for it to be processed, hence me taking the paperwork to DS13's doctor a week early. :)

#24 ·
so sorry to hear this news.

#25 ·
Yeah we're good with food for a bit. I'm thinking that when taxes do get back, I want to at least add to it a little more. We were actually eating off of the stockpile all of February because things were tight already. I'd rather toss meat and pasta and potatoes and such in the stockpile and try to cut back on the extra stuff. Perhaps I'll pick up a bit more flour and some more sugar and get staples.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.