Frugal Village Forums banner

unemployed and unlikely to return to work? what now

10K views 59 replies 33 participants last post by  Lynn4 
#1 ·
I am 54 and have been unemployed for over two years. I have some money in the bank, enough to last for a year or so. I have tried every possible means to get a job (office work is my field of experience) and had many interviews, redone my resume etc etc etc until I am about crazy. I realize I may be one of those who does not re enter the work force. I am , by the grace of God, debt free. I have no medical insurance. I am looking for "alternative" ways to make money......by that I mean selling something at a local monthly flea market or online...not the usual 9 to 50 job. I have cut out just about everything I can except for my net service, which will go at the end of month! So...any thoughts or ideas? Moving is not one of them, my first (and probably only) grandchild will be born in the fall...:eek:)...I plan to be in his life. Thanks !!

#2 ·
My suggestion is to stop limiting yourself to office jobs. If you are at a desperate point, it is time to start looking at alternatives. How about retail work, which may include gas stations, grocery stores, home improvement stores etc.
What else do you like to do? Gardening? Try a nursery.

Have you posted your resume at the online job sites?
Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com

or

Find Jobs. Build a Better Career. Find Your Calling. | Monster.com

What about re-training? Does your state have educational benefits programs?

Good luck!

#6 ·
I also agree with looking for other type of jobs. It doesn't have to be full time at first if you are unsure if you would like the job, try it, if you are not crazy about that particular job keep it anyhow while you are looking for something else then give a couple of weeks notice so that you have a great reference :). I am 47 and work at an Esso garage part-time, heck, I didn't even know what a gas dip was until I started working there lol. I will have been there for a year this August. Not my dream job but I make the best of it and actually enjoy it :)

#7 ·
You mentioned flea markets, etc. Do you have a marketable skill like sewing or baking/cooking? Can you start a business baking/cooking for busy dual income professionals? Can you produce a product of good enough quality that people would want it?

Usually selling flea markets, etc. is not a good option in your situation. They say it takes 3 years to earn enough money to live on. One lady I talked to said it took 7 before her store took off.

So if you only have one year's savings left, I'd be looking for a job and doing the flea market thing on the weekends/time off.

I know how hard it is to find a job when you're over 50. I tried. My DH, thankfully, was supportive of my alternative...rug hooking for craft sales. But I have his more or less steady income to lean back on. I can afford to wait the 3-7 years for it to turn a profit.

Have you thought about flyer delivery? Or newspaper delivery? How about volunteering someplace for something you believe strongly in, just to keep your skill set up and learn new skills. Maybe contacts can find you a job?

If there are health reasons why you can't work, then all this is problematic of course. Keep up your access to the Net through the public library nearest you. :hugz: Hope you find something soon!

#8 ·
I don't know why everyone always suggests child care??? It's not that easy to simply take children into your home at that age (I'm 53) and I'm not terribly good with other people's children, and it would NOT be a good option for me....I haven't worked for about 15 years, but I'd look at retail or cleaning services or perhops inclusion care.

#9 ·
My dad makes a partial income selling antiques at flea markets, but I wouldn't recommend it for someone with no experience. There's a steep learning curve associated with it (learn values and what your market will bear/buy) and the upfront investment of your time and money establishing an inventory probably won't yield the results you need quickly enough. I think it's something that you have to either come into via a hobby or be brought into through family.

Ok, so this is a little odd, but associated with the flea market line of logic, the place where I've seen a real need in the market in my area is for people who will liquidate low-value estates. There are plenty of estate dealers who will go into profitable estates to sell items, but I don't see a lot of people willing to clear out and liquidate an estate to help out a family (to be compensated by the family). Like go through a house, clean it out, get it ready to be put on the market perhaps. I know many people who have inherited estates from distant family members and they don't have the time or will to go through the house and clean it out. I've helped clean out those houses several times. I actually think that this will be a bigger and bigger issue with my generation, who have often moved to the city and left a lot of small-town real estate and relatives behind (at least in the midwest). Just a thought. I would choose to do this as a career if I hadn't already invested so much time and energy into the career I have.

#10 ·
You say you have about a year's savings. Have you thought about retraining? Like something other than what you normally do. Plumber's helper, Bus Driver, etc. Some of those people make good money. Taking care of other people's kids is just a little too complicated and carries a lot of liability. I wouldn't recommend it, unless it is something you really love. Cashiers and Pharm techs make enough money to pay their bills, usually. Where ever you go, ask if they are hiring. You could even have an AD degree in nursing in a couple of years. There is always a shortage of Nurses. If you don't want to put in the two years, CNAs and LPNs don't take as long as an RN degree. I have seen people at your age go into this field. Mental Health workers and Nurses' Aides don't require college credit. Good Luck, something will turn up.

#11 ·
Like someone else mentioned........I would check with my local employment office and see what sort of programs they are currently offering for a new skill set.

Our state is offering things and many are for the over 50 age group because, as we know, discrimination is alive and well.

In the cleaning line, how about cleaning homes? Don't think, from talking to my neighbor that does it, that I would want to do commercial cleaning........she puts in many 13 hour days........and if you want the clientele you don't pick and chose. But with cleaning homes, you are more of your own boss and word of mouth helps.......have had a couple friends that did this.....worked out great for them. One now has a crew of five working for her.

#12 ·
I appreciate all the ideas. Like stinkbug, I have some health issues (no heavy lifting and standing all day is not a good thing for me either). Of course that limits me. I have really good office skills and have worked with a lot of non profit groups which often catches the eye of potential employers. They just never hire me. My area has seen the close of several major employers over the last few years. I have applied for virtually every type of job. People simply are not hiring my age group.

#13 ·
Have you tried temporary agencies? Jobs are often found by word of mouth. Tell EVERYONE you know you are looking for work, what kind of work (don't be TOO specific). I got my part-time job at an independent motorcycle shop because I had told everyone I was looking for a part-time retail type job. FYI - I am 57.

I am having luck finding petsitting jobs. I am working on a business card, with a catchy name as a personal concierge - petsitting, housesitting, running errands, etc.

I also answer surveys online. I don't make tons of money, but every little bit helps.

Good Luck!

#14 ·
I heard a man, who called in to Dave Ramsey, say that he gets FREE furniture from Craigs List. Then he fixes the furniture and then will SELL it on Craigs List. I think that he stated that last year he made about 23 to 24 thousand dollars doing this. My husband heard it also and said that was something HE could do. I said to him, "Well get on it!" :cheergrl:

Pretty good for not having to buy your product.

#55 ·
I know someone who does this, too. Her stuff always sells right away.

Another thing I heard (which is not a long term fix by any means) is someone who spent all summer collecting free yard sale leftovers and at the end of the summer had a huge yard sale and made $1000!

To the OP, good luck with your job search. I hope you find something! Have you looked into becoming Virtual Assistant? If you have lots of office experience, it may be a good fit for you but could take a while to get started.

#17 ·
Thanks for everyones ideas. All I can do at this point is try to conserve what money i do have, and keep looking. I do try to weed out the waste of time applications or those that take long periods of time (i have applied for many jobs that required a 2 hr online testing period....before any promise of a job). I have done that so many times with no results. The lifting issue is a huge problem, as many jobs, even bookstore clerk! require lifting (I had an interview for bookstore clerk last week......I didnt tell them I couldnt lift but didnt get the job at any rate). Thanks again.

#23 ·
I have a lot of clients in your position. Several of them have patched together 2 or 3 part time jobs in order to survive. One of the good things about having 2 or 3 part time jobs is if you lose one you don't lose everything. Not ideal to be sure but with the new economy a person just has to go with what works today.

Instead of child care go for nanny positions. They sometimes have benefits attached. My dd was a nanny for 2 years in Connecticut and then later 5 years in Virginia. Both were live-in positions but you might be able to find a local job where you did not have to live-in or if you do still have weekends off.

#24 ·
I sell online (been doing it for 10 years), have a part-time job as a clerk at an independent motorcycle shop, and do pet/house sitting. I am worn out by the end of the day when working at the motorcycle shop; but I enjoy it. My knees and feet hurt too. I just make sure to do as much around the house as possible before I go to work, have something in the crockpot for when I get home, take ibuprophen when I get home, eat dinner, and hit the sack. I feel fine the next morning!

Actually getting out of the house and working part-time is keeping me moving and in better shape! Off to pack orders for the mailman, get dressed, and go to work.

#25 ·
Have you looked at caring for the disabled in THEIR home? I used to care for the mentally disabled in their home. It was shift work but I was able to walk out and be at home when I was done, unlike babysitting.
Having a hurt back is a real problem in the workforce. Employers of every stripe don't want you to turn funny while working and have to pay worker's comp. If I knew what the job entailed and that I knew it wouldn't bother my back, I might "gloss" over my previous injuries. I admit that I did so at my current job. I had a car accident 20 years ago that resulted in a back injury. It hasn't bothered me seriously in almost eight years. I know I can do any planned lifting but I can me a little dicey if I do something stupid like twist and grab. So I don't.
My niece has been applying for work at a company she knows well and the policy is "better education always gets the job". It is frustrating because there are more experienced people inside who would love to move up. Instead, they hire fresh college graduates from outside who leave in nine months when they find a better job. And yet a friend was "given" early retirement from an airline and when she was applying for a job through a temp agency, she was told "this isn't your field, you really don't want to work here and you will just leave anyway". She told them "I am here. I want a job" but it didn't work. I thought their point was ridiculous. They are a TEMP agency. Why not give her a job for six months and go from there.

#26 ·
The job situation has gone beyond scary to down right terrifying. Employers can really pick and choose right now so if you're either over or under qualified they won't give you a chance. Health issues and they won't even look at your app.

I have a client with a Masters who has been searching for months. Half the time she's under qualified and the other half over qualified. She has spent 4 to 6 hours per day searching for employment since January or February. She's picked up a couple temp jobs but nothing else. I admire her spirit in keeping up the search day in and day out with no results!! However, what is the option? Sit down and give up???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.