Need Advice for a Friend Going Through Eviction - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfranny View Post

If she won't accept your offer, which does give her somewhere to go, sounds like she just wants to drag it out..........good luck.
    Yes, I don't understand this...She will be homeless without you but won't accept your offer?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The situation was that my friend and her ex boyfriend started renting this place together many years ago. A breakup happened the boyfriend moved out. The landlords decided to let the boyfriend out of the lease, leaving my friend on the lease alone. My friend got 2 months behind last year. They offered to turn the back rent amount into a personal loan and my friend accepted. She pays a specified amount towards it monthly. My friend has had several roommates, but the economy has not been kind to them either, causing them to get further behind.

Please believe she is not dragging it out. We have been packing since I posted this thread.

She has large animals and I live in a newer, nice apartment building with strict rules about pets. The dogs should not be in my place, so she does not want to jeopardize my home. She has had the animals for almost a decade, so i understand her looking for a place other than mine. I've personally been homeless with my pet before (lived in a car) so I understand where she is coming from.
    The Enemy of Best isn't Worst. The Enemy of Best is Just Fine.

Me

Cupcake

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here's to hoping she can find a place with the pets....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck with the large pets..................

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Each state has different laws on this. Despite 'supposed' waiting periods that allow a tenant to get their stuff out of the house/apartment, frequently the court date passes without the tenant present due to transportation issues. Before they know it, the sheriff is at the door demanding their stuff be put on the lawn.

Want to help: Offer friend use of your garage for their stuff for a little while and allow them place to crash. If under-employed, suggest a move to another more prosperous area where they have family nearby. Rent them truck and help move them on. If they can stay with a parent while attending school, the govt may help out with under-employed assistance or Pell grant. It would get them into better employment situation if new field is carefully chosen - nursing, law enforcement, trucking, accounting, HVAC, composites/alloy manufacturing...

Try suggesting a garage sale if they want to return to living with a relative. I would mention upholstered furniture left in garage can quickly get rodents. It's best to sell this stuff quickly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12