Frugal Village Forums banner

Need Advice for a Friend Going Through Eviction

11K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  miss_cas 
#1 ·
I have a good friend who is being evicted from their home. I've never been through the process but I want to be able to offer them some advice or help, so I figured I would ask here. I'm basically looking for a timeline on how the eviction will go. They plan to respond to the notice with the court, then follow the necessary procedures. They are also going to start packing this weekend.

When should they expect to be out typically? Do landlords ever settle before the eviction process is over, or is it really a toss up? What is the best way to go about this process to make it as quick and painless as possible.

Also, their landlord set up past due amounts of rent as a loan. In the pay or quit notice, they added this loan amount to the amount of back rent. I was thinking maybe it should not have been in the pay or quit notice, but in a separate civil suit since it was a personal loan, but I'm not sure. Any advice, tips, or personal stories would help me to help my good friend. I really want to help see her through this.

#2 ·
I'd need more info. What state? Every place is different. The best advice i can give is for them to learn their rights as renters. Often times, the law is on the renter's side if they know how to play the game. They can potentially drag the eviction process out for months. Also, they need to make sure they take pics on their way out so that the landlord can't sue them for damage they didn't cause. I know this from experience. Luckily, I am now a homeowner. I will never go back to dealing with landlords. Not worth it.

Hope that helps.

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply. The person is in Georgia. I have limited knowledge on tenants rights in this state, so i will look at it. I will also tell them to make a time stamped video recording of their last day (my father always did this when I was a kid).

#7 ·
Please be advised that I am not asking to drag it out, nor am I trying to have them stiff the owners. I just want my friend to go about this in the best way for them. The owners are already covered by the law and know how to go about this. I am looking for advice for my friend, the tenant.

#9 ·
The eviction process does vary widely from state to state and county to county. In general, if they can get current on the rent, and that's the only cause for eviction, they can stop the process.

You need to research your state and local landlord/tenant laws in order to get a more specific answer than that.

Reactions: HeatSeeker
#14 ·
Don't worry about them? Really? The renters have violated their contract.
And as I said, if the contract has been violated, they can take the renters to court and be compensated accordingly.

It is not the landlord's responsibility to provide free housing regardless of someone's situation. Sad but true. I feel for them but they cannot expect to live rent free in someone else's home. They need assistance elsewhere no doubt.
Strawman. I'm not arguing that the landlord should do anything of the sort. I am merely showing concern for the family with the actual hardships. The homeowner is most likely in a better position in life. All he needs to do is take the renters to court. It's also likely that the renters will be forced to pay the court costs if that's in the lease. The renter will have yet even more hardships to deal with as a result. TS, I guess. Such is life.

#15 ·
I have a good friend who is being evicted from their home..
Just curious here................before all the arguments REALLY get going................WHAT IS THE REASON THEY ARE BEING EVICTED????????

Anything MORE than not paying the rent????????? HOW LATE ARE THEY????????? HOW MUCH??????????

#16 ·
They are 1 month behind for the month of July. They were previously behind about 8 months ago but the landlord decided to give them a personal loan for the amount owed. I believe this was done because there was a bit of negligence on the landlords part, as the landlord decided to let the second person on the lease out while there was back rent owed. (I hope that was clear). I don't think this should have been done as the ability to rent the home was based on the two incomes, and in letting a person out of the lease, the one insufficient income was left. It also left my friend holding the bag for the entire amount of rent, which wasn't right. Of course, this is just my opinion.

In the papers that they were served the landlord is asking for rent for the month of July as well as for the personal loan amount. My friend is honestly not sure where to go, as job loss has left them with literally no money. I have offered my place, but they wont accept. My friend and I have been looking for some agencies that may offer help to the at risk homeless, however, so far no luck. Not sure what advice to give them at this point and I hate it.

#18 ·
They are 1 month behind for the month of July. They were previously behind about 8 months ago but the landlord decided to give them a personal loan for the amount owed. .
So...........how far did they get behind BEFORE?........and how much is already owed? She already owes July.....plus...........think rather than try to 'ride out the mess' she best see if she can just get somewhere to live..............UNLESS she would be able to catch up........and stay up to date on the rent..........which doesn't sound likely.

And if there is a 'chance' most landlords will try to work with you...........unless this has been 'habitual'.......or other things have transpired that you haven't mentioned.

You also mention..........the "roommate" moved............then say "they"..............so how many people are we actually talking about?

Like mobaymom said............it will be tough getting a 'decent' place with an eviction...........not good for references. But the more they 'fight' it the more money they 'potentially' will be spending in the end.

If she won't accept your offer, which does give her somewhere to go, sounds like she just wants to drag it out..........good luck.

#17 ·
The best thing your friend can do is to NOT ignore any court summons. This eviction will stay on their credit report for years and unless they set up a payment plan with the landlord, they will also have a judgement on them as well for the monies owed. Your friend is going to have a really hard time finding a place a to rent (a decent place that is) with an eviction on her record.

Normally, when there are two ppl on the lease and one leaves, the person left has to 'prove' that they can pay the rent on their income only.And normally, the landlord will reissue a new lease in the one tenants name. Your friend should've moved or got another roommate when the other person moved out and left her "holding the bag" as you put it.

I feel for your friend, I really do, but the being a landlord isn't easy and it is a business. She can go to legal aid, she can contact some local shelters and food banks and apply for emergency food and cash assistance.

#21 ·
The situation was that my friend and her ex boyfriend started renting this place together many years ago. A breakup happened the boyfriend moved out. The landlords decided to let the boyfriend out of the lease, leaving my friend on the lease alone. My friend got 2 months behind last year. They offered to turn the back rent amount into a personal loan and my friend accepted. She pays a specified amount towards it monthly. My friend has had several roommates, but the economy has not been kind to them either, causing them to get further behind.

Please believe she is not dragging it out. We have been packing since I posted this thread.

She has large animals and I live in a newer, nice apartment building with strict rules about pets. The dogs should not be in my place, so she does not want to jeopardize my home. She has had the animals for almost a decade, so i understand her looking for a place other than mine. I've personally been homeless with my pet before (lived in a car) so I understand where she is coming from.

#25 ·
Each state has different laws on this. Despite 'supposed' waiting periods that allow a tenant to get their stuff out of the house/apartment, frequently the court date passes without the tenant present due to transportation issues. Before they know it, the sheriff is at the door demanding their stuff be put on the lawn.

Want to help: Offer friend use of your garage for their stuff for a little while and allow them place to crash. If under-employed, suggest a move to another more prosperous area where they have family nearby. Rent them truck and help move them on. If they can stay with a parent while attending school, the govt may help out with under-employed assistance or Pell grant. It would get them into better employment situation if new field is carefully chosen - nursing, law enforcement, trucking, accounting, HVAC, composites/alloy manufacturing...

Try suggesting a garage sale if they want to return to living with a relative. I would mention upholstered furniture left in garage can quickly get rodents. It's best to sell this stuff quickly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.