Frugal Village Forums banner

My job is feeling very uncertain right now :(

3K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Lovemybliss 
#1 ·
I'm not sure what's changed but my manager has met with me several times regarding my "performance". I feel as if I'm being railroaded right now. Yesterday she gave me a list of requirements I must meet. Some of them are my fault. I've been dealing with issues in my home life and I'd been sloppy in my work. Some Ridiculous things such as

letting her know when I'm attending educational programs. Even though they are offered at my place of work and during my lunch hour! I took a phlebotomy class for a new skill set and even though it was after work she said that I never told her I was taking it when I had indeed!
letting her know when I plan on leaving campus during my lunch.
if I have an problem or an issue I'm to come to her with the issue and two resolutions.

There's been some new hirings in my small dept and I don't quite fit in anymore. Its quite sad as I've been there 5 years and I truly enjoy it. I'm going to try to jump through the hoops that have been set before, but I def need to come up with a Plan B. :(

btw - I'm 37 and the new team is umm....late 20's, early 30's. I keep hearing comments about "not hiring someone who is 40" and of course I'm thinking, thse guys are no spring chickens seriously?

See less See more
#3 ·
It sounds like they are starting the process to move you out if they decide to. You need to start documenting everything. Make sure you have past performance reviews in hand to show that you have been a good performer in the past. You will need to fight this as long as possible - but start looking for another job now. Do everything by the book from now on. If they write you up - don't sign it and challenge it with HR - anything to delay the process - anything to give you more time to look for jobs. Also - you need to start sucking up to your co-workers and possibly try to buy them lunch once a week - give them reasons to like you - not hate you. Make them feel like you really care about them - so if one of them is actually instigating the situation you can turn the staff on them and away from you. Can you get socially involved with your co-workers after work? Possbily organize a dutch happy hour after work once a week - You want to make yourself the most likable co-worker. Don't talk about the performance issues with anyone besides your leader and people above him. Your co-workers do not need to know anything about it - and if they ask just say you have had some meetings with your leader about ways to improve the company - put a good spin on it - don't make it sound bad or reply with a response that is bad tact.

I have seen this happen to so many co-workers. I know how the process goes. I have been there to help get rid of people and help save people that I didn't want to get fired or laidoff.

#4 ·
Ditto the above. Make sure there is an email trail, or a paper trail. Print out everything. Keep a log. It works wonders when you are dealing with job issues, landlord issues, whatever. If you have the documents proving something, it helps.

At the same time, be looking. My husband was hired at a company. He lasted 4 months. My theory is they needed to tighten their belt but they also wanted a "valid" reason to let someone go. Rather than just say, hey, we need to let you go because we're having financing issues, they decided to go the performance and evaluation route. He, too, was having personal issues that were taking his mind off of things and meant he had to take time off of work. They still used his "not performing to standard and taking too much time off" as an excuse to let him go. Didn't matter that he had just had a baby die and the funeral to arrange, etc.

The thing is, he still kept everybody informed about what was happening with us. Immediate co-workers and supervisors sent condolences but the bosses, who had known me because I had worked for that company when there were only 5 people there, didn't. I think they were too embarrassed about what they did. That is what leads me to believe my theory as to why they let him go.

#6 ·
Sorry you are going through this; I've had similar issues at a job once, and it was horrible. The anxiety of coming into a job like that every day was unbearable.

I actually had a coworker recording how many times I left my desk and reporting to the boss! If I asked for time off for a dr's appointment, my boss would ask me specifically what it was for. My boss used to criticize my clothes. We had weekly meetings where our boss would scream and berate people for doing something wrong - and would threaten our jobs all the time. The boss was clearly doing shady things with sales numbers and would do anything possible to look good to his bosses and increase his revenue. The last time I was written up for something stupid, I got up the nerve to asked to be let go - I think they were thrilled and they gave me severance and I was able to collect. I had been there for several years and it took me a long time to recover from all of that. I have since finished my degree and have changed careers, and although I work in an office, I will never go back to a corporate environment.

#7 ·
Great advice all, I so appreciate it. I'm fortunate that my DH has a good job. I just wish I were farther along on the road to being debt free. I've hardly made a dent and if my income were to drop.... **gulp.

#8 ·
Great advice all, I so appreciate it. I'm fortunate that my DH has a good job. I just wish I were farther along on the road to being debt free. I've hardly made a dent and if my income were to drop.... **gulp.

#9 ·
I also have been thru this...it is so hard...I got so depressed as I liked the job...I agree with the other posters in that you should look seriously for another job and document EVERYTHING!!!

#10 ·
a few years ago I got a new boss, who was extremely different than the previous boss who I had worked for for 8 years. New boss was "gung ho", had extremly high expectations and low tolerance for under performers. He actually wrote on my review that I had 6 months to get it together or I was out of a job. I had been with the company for 20 years at that point and was devistated.

but after I recovered from the shock of it, I put my big girl panties on and sat down with him and had the most open and honest and nerve racking conversation of my life. One thing that helped is that he was very specific in what he wanted from me. So, I sucked it up and did everything he wanted, or at least tried my very best.

Guess what? three years later i'm still here, we have a great working relationship and he just told me this week that if I keep up my performance I'm in line for a bonus.

I think my circumstance is a little different than yours but there is the success story behind it. If I could do it, so could you.

Good luck!

#11 ·
Can you make a lateral move to another department where you already know the boss? It could save your arse.

Take a short vacation for an attitude adjustment before you start new job. If whatever you are dealing with that is affecting your work performance can be ditched, take the stepts to make this happen. There is no one you can count on for a living except yourself...if you are having problems with your spouse, your best asset for survival is your employment in good standing.

I once let a personal problem affect my work. I was sexually harassed by a coworker who was favorite of my boss which didn't help me. I was eventually asked to leave due to the male coworker's conduct for which I got blamed. I let the situation upset me so much I had a nervous breakdown. Now I'm on SSDI and have worked 8 short jobs in 8 years. Problem started to stalk me and vandalize stuff. It left me in major debt...I'm leaving the area to deal with this.

#12 ·
I've been dealing with issues in my home life and I'd been sloppy in my work. Some Ridiculous things such as

letting her know when I'm attending educational programs. Even though they are offered at my place of work and during my lunch hour! I took a phlebotomy class for a new skill set and even though it was after work she said that I never told her I was taking it when I had indeed!
letting her know when I plan on leaving campus during my lunch.
if I have an problem or an issue I'm to come to her with the issue and two resolutions.
Just from reading through it it seems as if two of the things were meant to find out if you were planning on leaving yourself. The other one is just odd.

One by one:

Letting her know when you're attending educational programs: This sounds to me like she is either interested in those skill sets to see whether they can be used in your current position, or maybe even as leverage to get you into the next position "higher up". Alternatively, she may want to see if the skills seem to indicate that you are planning on leaving.

When having problems going to her and presenting two resolutions: That is pretty normal in my experience and, in fact, a sign that a boss really cares and is willing to help resolve problems. However, some work has to come from your side, too (the two resolutions), just so you take some time to reflect on the real origin of the problem yourself.
Obviously, she has noticed your sloppiness (as you have put it) and it seems as if she might be genuinely interested in helping you to get back to normal - or even better.

Letting her know when you are off campus for lunch: Now that just is odd. I'd be surprised if this was legal to begin with.
I can see two semi-reasonable interpretations: Either she is indeed trying to make you feel uncomfortable and hence trying to get you out, or, just as likely from my perspective, that she is VERY worried that you are trying to jump ship. Many interviews of people holding a job with other potential employers is done during lunch breaks, after all.

It's been a while since you posted, so I am curious to hear if there have been any new insights on this from your side? Have you even tried to ask your boss about the recent changes?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.