Frugal Village Forums banner

Disputing Credit Report - Credit Lines Opened As Minor

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  alotofgooddeals 
#1 ·
I have a friend who has an abysmal credit score. One reason is because she has lines opened by her father under her SSN that were opened when she was a minor. They are not on speaking terms (hopefully that's obvious), but I was under the impression that all she has to do is file a written dispute with each rating agency, providing a certified copy of her birth certificate and stating that these lines of credit must be removed from her report as they were opened when she was a minor and since minors can't enter into legal contracts they are invalid.

Now, is this possible? Considering the legality of the situation, it seems like that's all she would need to do.

The next question is, if the above is not possible, can she file the same dispute but including a police report for credit fraud on the same credit lines to get them expunged?

I guess I want to know first off if it's possible to do without filing a fraud report, and second if it's possible to do with filing one, if necessary. I contacted Transunion but they just told me to have her call them (which I'm going to do, but wanted to get an answer to this question first!).

A second issue, if her parents put her on as a secondary signer when she was a minor, and the card charged off, is she responsible for it? I am not sure the legality of this but it seems unfair for her to be responsible for a charged off card her parents opened up because they put her on as a secondary before she was even old enough to comprehend such a thing. Is there a way to get out of this?

Her grandfather is a lawyer and has recommended bankruptcy but I think it is possible to get out of all this without doing so, and want to encourage her to do so at all costs if possible. I'm going to ask her to meet with a debt counselor or attorney that deals specifically with this matter, too.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well it sounds like a good place to start.

I heard Dave Ramsey talking about a situation like this, and he seemed to indicate that you _can_ do something about it so I'd say it is definitely worth looking into further.

Using someone else's SSN IS fraud, but the longer your friend lets it slide *knowing* that fraud was committed, the harder it might be to avoid responsibility for it.

#3 ·
Disputing it with the credit agency is usually enough to get it removed. DH's dad opened some cards in his name when he was a minor. We disputed saying he was 10 at the time so it was not possible and they were immediately removed. We didn't have to submit any proof, birth certificate or anything. DH is also a junior, so periodically his dad's stuff pops up on his report and we have to dispute it. It is usually removed pretty quickly once we dispute it.

#5 ·
I have a client whose father began taking credit in his name when he was 4 months old. Its continued for 30 years and now the son is filing bankruptcy simply because he cannot get anything corrected. I don't know if he filed charges against his father or even if its possible. I just know there's a credit card his father took when the client was 4 months old and has continued using ever since and it has a large balance none of which my client charged. He wasn't aware of the card until he got his credit report. There may be others but client only mentioned the one.

I have a huge fear of identity theft. I've seen a lot of people forced into bankruptcy because of it. Credit card companies just will not believe clients didn't take and use the cards themselves.

#6 ·
How can someone use a minor for credit....don't they check the social security number? Wouldnt they realize they are minors? Wow that is very sad that a parent would be irresponsible with their credit and then destroy their childs...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.