Frugal Village Forums banner

How do you keep from getting bored with your frugal lifestyle?

5K views 42 replies 21 participants last post by  Kaos Kitty 
#1 ·
I guess I'm having one of those days. What do you do?

Reactions: QM
#4 ·
Play with the budget! :)

Bake. Play with my kids. Go for a walk. Cook. Craft. Clean. Browse this forum.

None of which cost me money....well not every time.

You have to find stuff you like that doesn't rely on money, and make that your life. So no shopping for fun. No eating out without planning for it in the budget. Etc.

It's hard at the start...I know....take this as a good time to find out what else might interest you. Maybe take up a new hobby?

#6 ·
I have a variety of interests, many of which can be enjoyed free or cheap, and for a good many of them I have so much 'stuff' stockpiled I don't need to buy anything.

When I am feeling truly apathetic about them I get on the internet and surf for new ideas.

#7 ·
Honestly, I'm never bored. Never. Never. I may be boring.... but that's entirely different question!

#10 ·
I've never connected bored to money. Is it that your use to shopping for entertainment or were your social venues outings that cost?

I can generally always find something to do on my own that doesn't cost anything. I love to read, or surf the net, or go on a run, or find my weights, or clean something out, or bake. I generally don't get bored if I'm not craving company. Now when it comes to that I am craving company outside the people I live with I've found I have to get creative and offer up the ideas. Rather than go out to dinner I may invite people over. It's A LOT cheaper to double the meal than to go out to eat, or for a larger group suggest a pot luck and games after. I do a lot of "stop by for coffee" invites as well. In good weather I suggest the park or meeting somewhere to walk. If my friends were more active I wouldn't hesitate to suggest meeting for frisbe or, football, or soccer.

I hope you figure out what works for you.

#11 ·
Haha yes I just got back to my frugal ways.

What I find boring about it is that I feel stuck in the house saving on gas.

As for planning the budget i've been putting all my energy into that for about 4 days straight. I also haven't seen much new activity on Frugal village. I check ALOT.

I called a cousin yesterday to ask if I could go for coffee in the afternoon today and left a message since she didn't answer the phone. Well she hasn't called back.

I will probably waste the day cleaning and reading today.

#15 ·
Haha yes I just got back to my frugal ways.

What I find boring about it is that I feel stuck in the house saving on gas.
Hi Emilie, I can totally get that one & nearly all hobbies cost some amount of money.
Here is what I have done:)
Rotated a bimonthly day out with my cousin to the city for our groceries (and we have a laugh and get out and about).
Library - Read....I'm a major bookworm
Suduko - Online, print off or if I'm saving on ink do online (Free).
Window shop - I have only started to do this with the idea of getting to finish my home (I've a wish list for each room & I'm pricing what I need). Plan on asking for items instead of Presents (paint etc.).
I have gone for coffee by myself - In my local forest with a flask of tea & homemade buns & had a me picnic ;)
Started swapping films with a friend.
I'm currently at college (part time) but other than what I'm learning there I've decided to start learning something online that I can research free, picked Physics.
Was given a book on Tai Chi and I've started trying to teach myself!
Signed up to local galleries & Theaters sometimes they showcase artist etc for free and I'll work a vist in with my trips out.

#12 ·
What hobbies do you enjoy? How can you do them on the cheap? If there are activities you'd like to do but don't have the budget for right now, ask for suggestions here on the Village. I'm sure some of us would have ideas that could help you find ways to cut the cost of at least some of your hobbies.

If you just need to get out of the house and away from your four walls, go for a walk. If you have a doggy, I'm sure he or she would be thrilled to accompany you.

#13 ·
What hobbies do you enjoy? How can you do them on the cheap? If there are activities you'd like to do but don't have the budget for right now, ask for suggestions here on the Village. I'm sure some of us would have ideas that could help you find ways to cut the cost of at least some of your hobbies.

I have many cheap hobbies but they're hard to work on with the kids around. I will probably brings the kiddos to the park as soon as the weather warms up a lil.

I probably just need to stop thinking about money for a day. Too many numbers can make someone coocoo. haha

#14 ·
OK. I understand where you're coming from a bit better. The gas thing...I sometimes feel the same way and especially with current gas prices. I don't go anywhere unless I have to and then I combine all trips. Sorry. Don't have an answer to that one. I have to walk my dog everyday - usually 1-2 miles - that helps. If I'm feeling real antsy, I'll just take him out for another walk (which he loves). One of the pet stores is within walking distance so we go there. We go to a nearby dog park. He plays, I get to talk to others.
I've pulled out a few "projects" that were left incomplete, some from a few years ago, and started working on those. I like that since of completion.
On the days I do have errands, I make it a point to stop in at a few places to sort of "kill" time and give me that "shopping fix" without spending money.
I give myself wonderful pedi and manicures.
Most days, although I'm not leaving the house, I try to put on a little make-up and do my hair. That makes me feel better in general.
More than anything, I've had to approach this with a determined mind set... as in I'm doing this for a particular outcome sort of thought. I do my best to let any boredom and the occasional "poor me's" be replaced by challenging myself on what I can cut back on or save. I enjoy the challenge. On another thread, there was talk of how tough nursing school was. When I was in school, I had to give up almost everything but school...friends, socialization, money, clothes...you name it, I gave it up. I got through that by keeping my eye on the prize - graduation. That's my current mindset. I'll never go back to my spend thrift ways, but there will come a time when I'm not focused on every penny.
Wish I could offer more. :)

#18 ·
Thanks for the ideas I'll put together a list of things to do that way when I get a bad day I can find something that will change my mood.

-Have a pampering party with my daughter.
-Get out my painting supply. Might be tricky with the kiddos. haha

#17 ·
Your kids must be little if you can't do hobbies with them around. Are they old enough to do activities with? There's a wealth of info and ideas for inexpensive hobbies and activities with kids. Do they have a nap time when you could do your own thing?

#22 ·
The kiddos are 3 and 5 so no more naps.:weeping: My daughter is a real mess maker and is rough with my things. Therefore I rather hide my things. Also my son is hipper active, border line add so it's hard to find a quite moment.

#21 ·
"Thanks for the ideas I'll put together a list of things to do that way when I get a bad day I can find something that will change my mood."

You know? That is actually an EXCELLENT idea. I know for me, when I get in one of those funky moods, I can't think of a single, solitary thing to do. It's like my brain shuts down.

I'm going to start my own list. (Take a nap will be at the top of my list. :) ) Thanks for that idea. :)

#24 ·
Also I live in such a small town that our library is only opened on wednesday and friday for about 3 hours. So I have to plan library time. I can't just drop by when in a funk. Thank god I have a good book selection right here at home. But it doesn't take me out of the house.

#25 ·
It sounds like being active is a must with your kids. I can see your problems with pursuing your own hobbies.

Our library has a good selection of e books which can be downloaded and read on a computer. If your library has the same option, that might help you if you're stuck for a new read when you have time.

#26 ·
Know that part of the problem is that your children are 3 and 5 years old. The upside is that those are the ages to take shopping so staying home is a plus.

Consider having theme days and theme months (October ... Halloween, for instance) to center the activities you do with your children. For instance, closer to Christmas, create a count-down calendar out of objects you find around the house. In the fall, go on a scavenger hunt to collect items you can use to make fairy houses or fall decor. Consider these project sort of an introduction to homeschooling.

To pick up your mood, have music pre-loaded in your CD player or ipod. Announce it is "dance minute" to the kids and turn on the music. Sing and dance for one minute then shut it off again. To calm a hyper child, I would play classical music (quietly) throughout the day.

If all else fails, there is always Pinterest. ;)

#27 ·
I know what you mean about being stuck at home. We were a one car household for about 8 years while we were getting out of debt. I was home all day all week long... Saturday was my day to get out of the house with the car. I would go window shop the craft and fabric stores and maybe pick up thread or something small (my hobby buying is part of what got us into debt, so I was mostly working off my stash -- still am actually). I would do the grocery shopping, run errands and just generally enjoy being OUT.

It sounds like your kids need to be outside too, IMO. Take them to the park and let them run till they drop. Maybe you could organize a "day out" with other moms where the kids can play together and the moms can socialize.

#28 ·
Once my son outgrew nap time, we implemented quiet/relax time. He didn't have to sleep or even lay down, but he needed to spend at least an hour in his room doing something quiet. Sometimes it was watching a dvd on the mini dvd player. Sometimes, it was puzzles, books, etc.

That was very helpful for me, especially once Moo came along with her high maintenance colic craziness. I get very squirrelly when I feel that I have been housebound too long. I like your idea of making a list of things to lift your funk. I might need to do that.

#29 ·
I get where you are coming from over the past 2-3 months I have found myself terribly bored at times staying at home trying to save money on gas. Right now we are stuck in the house most of the time because it is still horribly hot and humid here in FL. I am hoping for a cool down in a couple of weeks then I start doing some outside projects and getting the kids to help. Right now when you walk outside you walk into a wall of humidity and are sweating within 2 minutes. No fun at all. But for now I am going through toys and clothes seperating what needs to go out to yardsale in November and looking for things I can donate to clear out some clutter. And when all else fails I run payoff calculator scenarios. All to keep my mind off not spending money.

#30 ·
I don't have kids, so take with a grain of salt but I would imagine being cooped up all day every day with two kids that age could be extremely trying. From the little I know about those ages, you really can't take your eyes off of them for a second. Taking them on walks/picnics/kiddie activities and all that sort of stuff is great but you probably need "me" time more than anything.
Any other moms nearby that would be willing to swap out occasional days of kiddo keeping? Any church groups offer Mom's Day Out type of things?
I know this sounds stupid, but when my dog was real young, he was so wild and rambunctious I could hardly stand it. Every second he was in my face demanding attention. If he was out of my sight in this small apartment and quiet, I knew he was into something - and usually not something good. I started taking him to doggie day care once a week just so I could get things done. And the heck with the expense! It was my sanity we were talking about. And probably his life, too! :)

#34 ·
haha my daughter is just like you dog if she's quiet and says she ain't doing anything then she's deff. doing something bad. My son goes to school during the week but I don't have anyone to watch my daughter for 1 hour. That's why we had a gym membership so that I could drop her at playcare and have myself a good 2 hours of peace. But we can't afford that anymore.

#31 ·
You said you are planning on taking the kids to the park when it warms up. Are you in the southern hemisphere, warming up from a season of chill? If so then your bordeom maybe season related not just frugal related. Cabin fever

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.