Frugal Village Forums banner

Am I forgetting anything?

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Anna43 
#1 ·
Dh is getting a small raise this month and I get one in September but money is going to be very tight. We do get quarterly bonus checks as long as ours stores make a profit but it varies from 10.00-500.00 each check if we get them. We're just getting buy on the regular monthly bills so I'm trying to make a list of the ones that only pop up once or twice a year to make sure we have the money when they come due. Here's what I've come up with so far.
car registration$100
truck registration$130
oil (used mostly for hot water and only one delivery a year)$1200
4 cords of wood $920
furnace cleaning (every other year needs it this year)$100
chimney cleaning(need to see how much this is)
Almost forgot my FIL doesn't do birthdays, christmass etc he just sends us a check for $1000 every new year which has been paying for most of our oil.

#2 ·
You have your car insurance as a once a month bill? And as you American people go crazy around christmass (never understood why, we go to the church and have a nice meal, thats it), maybe putting money aside for that would be a good idea also?

#3 ·
Yes insurance for the cars is monthly. We try not to go to crazy for christmass but should still set a little a side. We do a bunch of homemade baked goods for the extended family and just a few presents for out dd.

#4 ·
car registration$100
truck registration$130
4 cords of wood $920
Almost forgot my FIL doesn't do birthdays, christmass etc he just sends us a check for $1000 every new year which has been paying for most of our oil.
Get a new quote on your vehicle insurance. I just saved us over $ 300 for the year. I did go ahead and pay it as a lump sum for the new year. Plus, I saved $ 6 each month for the billing payments, if I had chose to do monthly payments. Also there is a $ 10 penelty if the payment is late. My plan is to one lump sum, next year also. So I need to set money aside for it.

Fire insurance. Get a new quote. If you don't have any insurance, get some.
Ours went up $ 70 but I finally got us updated with better coverage. And it was with same company, so it was a bundle deal. I chose to do this quarterly. Next year, hope to do it in one lump sum for the year.

Oil and wood...call around and see if you can get any better pricing. Also the same for chimney and furnace.

Not sure if you own your own or rent.
If you own, you would have property and school taxes to set aside.

Tires ? If you will be needing them, start setting money aside for them.

Kitchen stove ? Our's is propane and we use 2 tanks a year. One is hooked up and one is in storage filled and waiting. Sometimes the empty one does not get filled right away, until I find a propane sale.

Do a list and then a total of all the bills outside of the monthly ones. Maybe a separate account for them.

I keep ours in same account, but keep a separate total of money for the property and school taxes. I try to look ahead every month and see what is coming up I need to set aside for. I have a monthly log that I can look back on last year to see what came due which month. We bought our wood for the next couple of years, this spring, with our tax refund.
I try to stay ahead on the food stockpile, so if month gets tight, then the groceries are still covered.
So basically if there is extra left each month after bills, then it remains in the account.

Reactions: NikoSan999
#6 ·
Get a new quote on your vehicle insurance. I just saved us over $ 300 for the year. I did go ahead and pay it as a lump sum for the new year. Plus, I saved $ 6 each month for the billing payments, if I had chose to do monthly payments. Also there is a $ 10 penelty if the payment is late. My plan is to one lump sum, next year also. So I need to set money aside for it.

Fire insurance. Get a new quote. If you don't have any insurance, get some.
Ours went up $ 70 but I finally got us updated with better coverage. And it was with same company, so it was a bundle deal. I chose to do this quarterly. Next year, hope to do it in one lump sum for the year. rite now i wouldn't be able to get the money together even if the rate went down to [ months at once but want to in the future/COLOR]

Oil and wood...call around and see if you can get any better pricing. Also the same for chimney and furnace. very few delever wood around here but i do call around every year

Not sure if you own your own or rent.
If you own, you would have property and school taxes to set aside.
we do own but taxes are part of the mortage payment
Tires ? If you will be needing them, start setting money aside for them. good for at least a year

Kitchen stove ? Our's is propane and we use 2 tanks a year. One is hooked up and one is in storage filled and waiting. Sometimes the empty one does not get filled right away, until I find a propane sale. kithen stove is electric and i'm able to keep the electric bill to $50.00 or less a month/COLOR]

Do a list and then a total of all the bills outside of the monthly ones. Maybe a separate account for them. i'm goung to list them all out and put the money into a inkine savings account so its a littel harder to get to

I keep ours in same account, but keep a separate total of money for the property and school taxes. I try to look ahead every month and see what is coming up I need to set aside for. I have a monthly log that I can look back on last year to see what came due which month. We bought our wood for the next couple of years, this spring, with our tax refund.
I try to stay ahead on the food stockpile, so if month gets tight, then the groceries are still covered.
So basically if there is extra left each month after bills, then it remains in the account.

i do try to stockpile and need to build it back up after this last year we went threw a lot of it

#7 ·
Our vehicle insurance for 2 trucks and everything on them, was just over $ 90 a month. Got the renewal and it was $ 1060 for the year. No way, was I going to pay that. So the new policy would have been just under $ 700 for the year if it was the same exact coverage as old policy, but she tweaked it and got us better coverage. We have a 03 extended cab and a 06 full 4 door Fords. F150s, both paid in full. New policy is $ 750 for the year if paid in lump sum. I was happy with the new numbers :)

Our mortage is paid for. Working on a equity loan to finish off. Our taxes have been separate for quite some time now. We pay school in September and property comes due end of December.

Also try to maintain a EF. You never know when something else will come along to raise havoc.

#8 ·
Our vehicle insurance for 2 trucks and everything on them, was just over $ 90 a month. Got the renewal and it was $ 1060 for the year. No way, was I going to pay that. So the new policy would have been just under $ 700 for the year if it was the same exact coverage as old policy, but she tweaked it and got us better coverage. We have a 03 extended cab and a 06 full 4 door Fords. F150s, both paid in full. New policy is $ 750 for the year if paid in lump sum. I was happy with the new numbers :)
Dang...is that full coverage or liability?

#10 ·
I'd have to compare house and car insurance as right now they are both through the same company so we are getting discounts on both. And we've had such good service with State farm it would take a pretty big savings to get us to switch.

#11 ·
I think you should get a new quote. And go with a DIFFERENT agency also. That is how we came up with our new deal. And both vehicle and fire are now with same company so we got a discount because of that.
We were with the last agency 19 years and we changed. Things just got stale and customer service was lacking. Like none. Just send us the bill. We paid. And they never looked at our policies to suggest better coverage. And I had asked several times for a better quote. Best quote they found, would have saved us about $ 100. The new agency found us the best deal.

#12 ·
We're just getting buy on the regular monthly bills so I'm trying to make a list of the ones that only pop up once or twice a year to make sure we have the money when they come due. Here's what I've come up with so far.
car registration$100
truck registration$130
4 cords of wood $920
See you live in Maine............so probably no AC.........but if so, ???maintenance for the AC unit??? Also, don't see any $ for vehicle maintenance........oil changes, etc. Think tires were mentioned somewhere...........and hopefully, they aren't a yearly thing.....but they do wear out.

Do you have any major 'outside the home' type of maintenance things............thinking of the lawn or trees or ???

Can you go on the weekends and get your own wood? Have you checked into it? Saves some money if you can.... (with permits, the FS allows it here, in certain areas)

#15 ·
Shouldn't be that bad............your ins. co that you pick should let the bank know......or you might tell your bank when you have made the choice.......just be aware that you HAVE THE RIGHT TO DO THIS...............doesn't matter what sort of crap your bank might give you (couple of friends went through this)...........and if it will save you money......then stick by your choice............your bank might have to adj. the payment if savings is enough..............ASK THEM what they have been doing $ wise for your prop. taxes...........AND INS...........they could have been holding out more than necessary.

Could be some 'minor hoops' to jump through.........but think of the savings!

#17 ·
car inspection
yearly termite inspection
hoa fees
property taxes
school startup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.