Harder and Harder to Pay the Bills
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Harder and Harder to Pay the Bills

I know I am not alone when I say that with each month I am finding it more difficult to pay our everyday bills. We do have a fixed rate mortgage that we are happy for.

Hubby's overtime was cut drastically and I am picking up more hours at work. Everything that we purchase has gone up significantly with no cost of living increases to match. This has been adding a lot of un-needed stress to our lives.

Hubby was thinking about getting a part time job but that wouldnt really work because he needs to make himself available for the overtime if and when it is available.

Sorry for venting but it is just sooo hard to stay afloat these days I think we are worse off now than we were 5 years ago.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

just curious, but what part of the country do you live in?
    marie/andrea dh

We had a baby! 10/04/11

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It'a hard for a lot of folks these days. I'm noticing higher prices at the grocery store and we all know gas has soared in recent days. I try my best to cut down on expenses by couponing when I can. Do you have anything you can sell, ebay, yardsale?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

AMEN! I agree with all of you! My husband has been laid off for 5 weeks now with no end in sight due to a strike in Detroit. I have already had to get into our EF for some things that we did know about, but were not expecting this lay-off. I already work two jobs and he does draw unemployment. He would like to get another job, but there are none to be had around here. And even if he did, they would not even pay what his unemp pays as of right now!
    I do work for the schools and as soon as school is out for the summer I plan to work more at my second job. That will help. But it's things like the Flood insurance that we are required to pay. (Even though we don't even get a puddle in the street around here. ) And the balance on our Electric budget. The fun just keeps coming. But, we will survive! I know it could be a lot worse.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We live in PA.

I do use coupons faithfully and shop for bargins. I do try to cut costs but its still a struggle.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I made less money last year, I still managed to pay our bills last year and have a little leftover to splurge on my kids.

This year i've made more money and struggled badly. My natural gas and electric rates went up a lot and i'm paying more for groceries.

Is there a possibility to see if you can make any of your bills cheaper like telephone,, etc?

I'm sorry this is causing stress in your lives.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You're right it is getting harder and harder to stay afloat. Everything keeps going up but our wages. It is frustrating when we are working just to pay the bills. There is no room in the budget for any extras right now.

We even cancelled a trip go to visit dd at college next week. We just can't afford the extra gas (200 mile trip each way) or a motel room for the night. Plus we since we would both have to take two days off from work no income those days.

momishem - I can't imagine how hard it must be for you right now. I hope the strike ends soon and your dh can get back to work. Hang in there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by prairiewife View Post
    I can't imagine how hard it must be for you right now. I hope the strike ends soon and your dh can get back to work. Hang in there.
    I also hope things start looking better for you soon.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

momishen - I hope the strike ends soon

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's true inflation is up and our paychecks are worth less and less.
    We make more money than ever here and have less left over after living expenses.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am finding the same thing. The company that my dh works for contracts their work out to another company. That contract has been up since March and we are on pins and needles waiting to see if the other company renews it or not.
    Gas is 3.49 here now and my dh drives 50 miles one way to work.
    Prices on all grocery items have gone up and I've taken a summer job in a state park to bring in some extra money!
    Sending you some hugs and I hope things look up for you soon!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I live in Nova Scotia, and it's definitly getting harder. We can't affor a house in the city, but if we move outside the city (we both work in the city) we won't be able to afford the gas OR 2 cars that we'd need. Our groceries are really expensive here too. IE chicken goes ON SALE for 4.99/lb. for boneless skinless. I am always AMAZED when I see the sale prices in the states. However, I work at an emergency shelter, so I know how bad it can REALLY be for some. *SIGH* Hopefully things will pick up...until then it's creativity time

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, ladies. I hope it ends soon, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have found myself tightening the budget. I have decided not to go on vacation this summer due to the cost of gas. I have found that all of my bills have increased (food, electric). I have really had to aggressively investigate and utilize the frugal tips which I have found on this board and also thru other frugal websites. I am using public transportation alot more. I am not going to far out of my neighborhood for other activities (church, groceries etc.). I am eating alot less meat. I am curtailing my book buying and utilizing the library alot more.
    Unexpected life drama bill owe April 2014 11K/current balance 11K.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am feeling the pinch from groceries and clothing, having a preteen boy who is eating my out of house and home and outgrowing clothing every month or so recently.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast