Any Anglophiles on board here?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Any Anglophiles on board here?

For several years now I've had an increasing interest in all things English, and I'm always on the look-out for any British production (movie or mini-series) that I might not be aware of.

DH and I find less and less of interest on American television and rent from Netflix. I'd love to travel to Britain, but have to be practical about the unlikelihood of that happening.

Any websites or info to share? Surely I'm not the only one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love that show "Keeping Up Appearances". Does that count?
    ~Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.~

~The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

anglophile here. i was lucky to live there for a year in 2001 - 2002 (thanks to halliburton) and got to spend last july in the north of england.

it takes about 5000 US dollars for three weeks to a month if you are very careful, may be doable!

yesterday, i was planning next summer's trip, looking at $2000 for two weeks (not including food, internal travel, and entrance fees) . If i plan and book now it will be all "paid for" when it's time to go.

northern england is much cheaper. and the people are nicer.

i love BBC videos and BBC america, but i don't have cable anymore... can't afford it. do you get the bbc video catalog?

some of my favorite shows are anything by simon schauma, "Time Team", father ted, monarch of the glen, anything tudor, medieval, roman, or elizabethan.
    baby step 2- see blog for actual amounts

"stop being a victim, you are a perpetrator, taking things without paying for them is stealing, you are not a victim, you are a perpetrator. PAY THE PEOPLE YOU OWE, pray for the people you owe, and make it right. " hard nosed AA person, thumping his big book, addressed to me in AA meeting 7/30/2013

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am right there with you , although my interests are more Irish, then English, and Scottish...... I also love BBC america, although it has been pretty crappy lately..... I love all of the british things on Masterpiece Theater on PBS also..... I love all things Irish, so much so I found myself an Irish penpal here on FV! Would love to someday travel there!!!!!!!!
    Sheri

GO COLTS!!!!!

Wife to Dale
    Mom to Paige and Abbie
    dogmom to Casey and Callie

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Nishu View Post
    I love that show "Keeping Up Appearances". Does that count?
    Of course! "The 'Bookay' residence; lady of the house speaking!" But what I really want to know is, do you have someone in your life who reminds you of Onslow?

ladykemma2, I can't imagine DH ever being willing to spend that kind of money, so I'll just have to live vicariously. If I could visit, I'd want to go to Thirsk, the home of the James Herriot museum.

I like a lot of the Scottish and Irish things, too.

We no longer get BBC America, but my mother had mentioned that it had gone downhill. I've heard that BBC Gold is good, which supposedly shows older productions, but it's not available here.

We bought a region-free DVD player because there are quite a few things not available on Netflix or in Region 1 format and, believe it or not, we have found some things to be less expensive on Amazon UK. Right now we're watching Dr. Finlay, which is pretty good, about a doctor returning to his Scottish village after WWII. It's difficult to know if something will be good or not.

Has anyone seen any of these?:

Emmerdale Farm
    The District Nurse
    Penmarric
    Doc Martin
    Kingdom
    Rosemary and Thyme
    Lark Rise to Candleford
    Nanny (BBC)
    Where the Heart Is
    Born and Bred
    Family at War
    When the Boat Comes In
    A Very Peculiar Practice

I've seen some of the Doc Martin, and it's pretty good, but definitely a bit quirky. We've seen all of Rosemary and Thyme, and enjoyed it a great deal, even the plots are sometimes thin. A few of the Catherine Cookson movies are available on Netflix, which I have enjoyed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like English bikes, Simplex kettles, Brown Betty teapots, and English gardens. I travel to the UK for work several times a year.
    Last edited by The Muse; 08-04-2008 at 09:59 PM.

100% Debt Free.... home, car & credit cards.
    Blogging the simple life at: www.sageandsimple.com

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ladykemma2 View Post

northern england is much cheaper. and the people are nicer.
    Oh so very true! (no prizes for guessing where I live, lol)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love Rosemary and Thyme..... are these sort of shows available on Netflix???? My guilty pleasure was Footballer's Wives, and thought Little Britain was hilarious!!!!!!! The programming on BBC america is horrible right now, tho........
    Sheri

GO COLTS!!!!!

Wife to Dale
    Mom to Paige and Abbie
    dogmom to Casey and Callie

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I love England....my mum and grandparents are from there, and they still go back to the UK 2-3 times a year. My family is from Gillingham, Kent, but only a few still live there.Most of the cousins that are close to my age all live around London. My dad's ancestry is Scottish, but they have lived here in Nova Scotia for multiple generations. There's a very very strong british influence in my life.

I love Cornation Street, even tho it's gone downhill a bit, I still love and watch it frequently. There's nothing like tea and toast in bed while watching Corrie on a Sunday Morning!! Jimmy's Farm is a brit show I absolutly ADORED, although BBC Canada isn't showing it anymore. At Christmas, I decorate a small tree that's my "English Tree" with a collection of decorations from Harrod's, little English flags, and on Christmas Day we all gather around the tv with my Grandparents ect. to watch the Queen's message. I also love going to Chapters to read Hello Magazine, although now we've got Hello Canada I haven't been doing it as much.

None of my family in Englad was able to come for the wedding, but I received a lovely embroidered heart which I carried with my bouquet. I can't WAIT to take DH to England His ancestry is English/Irish, but his relatives came here so long ago they're completely disconnected. My family only arrived 40 years ago, so it's a little stonger with us!

And for the younger Brit tv lovers......MTV's new "Living on The Edge" is like a Brit version of The Hills...and I'm the only one of my friends who can watch and understand without the subtitles!!

The only thing I DON'T like about England is the price :S It's as though everything is the same price, but in pounds :S I DEFINITLY don't shop a lot when I'm there!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Berryshaker, Most of the programs I listed are not available on Netflix, except Rosemary & Thyme and Doc Martin. The others are available for purchase on Amazon UK. I am not a fan of Footballer's Wives or Little Britain, but they are probably available on Netflix also.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like Are You Being Served. I have checked out every series from BBC that my library has.

I also love to watch As Time Goes By.
    Last edited by ktsmama; 08-06-2008 at 01:20 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by britbunny View Post
    Yeah, me too!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DH and I LOVE British shows and we have a huge collection of them (of course, that was before we started getting them through Netflix--MUCH cheaper). We watch some of the current ones on BBC America (which I agree HAS gone downhill), but mostly like those shows from the 1960's through the 80's...things like Butterflies, To the Manor Born, Monty Python's Flying Circus, Good Neighbors (I think it was called The Good Life in Britain), Allo Allo, Are you Being Served, Dad's Army, Black Adder, Father Ted, Bottom, A Fine Romance, Fools and Horses, As time goes by, Red Dwarf, etc. There are more, but I cannot think of them right now. We have seen the broadway musical Spamalot twice (once here in Detroit when they came to town and once in Las Vegas on vacation because we won free show tickets at the Wynn).

One day we want to go to England for a nice vacation. I didn't realize how expensive it was though! We'll definitely have to save up for that!

Andrea

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am an Anglophile. I have always loved the Great Britain, even when I was a child and had never been there. Now I have, at least 15 times, but the last trip was several years ago. We have been there twice with our kids and they too, love it. Of course they have only been to London, but to 15 and 17 year olds London is THE place to visit.

I love English cities and English countryside. I love the way they speak from working class English to oxford English and all the possible accents. I love how young people say "wicked!!!"
    I love English literature, English music, English gardens, English everything. British TV is great. I watch BBC Prime all the time. We also see a lot of British tv on our own channels.

I am as Anglophile as you can be. I have always said that if I believed in several lifes, I was an English rabbit in my former life. There is something about England and rabbits I just canīt explain, but it feels like magic. Or maybe I am crazy.
    Last edited by iida; 08-06-2008 at 04:53 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by britbunny View Post

Hey I'm nice too , even if i live in the south lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast