Minimalist Kith

Thread: Minimalist Kith

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Minimalist Kith

hope this one's not already posted - couldn't find it.

But I'm wondering if anyone else lives "minimally"?
    Not the art movement or governmental stuff... just living with basic needs... and not much else.

anyone else live a relatively simple/minimalist lifestyle?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do... I can't tolerate clutter in my home. I have just what I need to run a household.
    If You Find Yourself Dancing In The Rain
    You Have Been Blessed

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I belong here. I do have some "stuff", but as little as possible. And the "stuff" I do keep around has some sort of sentimental value (i.e. my grandma gave it to me and although I would rather not keep it around, I would feel terrible if I gave it away).

I am sure this partly has to do with the fact that I don't own a home yet and have had to move 5-6 times, so I prefer to keep things simple. But I also start to feel claustrophic and stressed if I am surrounded by clutter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's me! In fact on Thanksgiving, DH's grandfather commented that we have "minimal".

I've never understood the need for stuff. If I don't use it, I don't need it or want it. OTOH, DH's parents have 2 storage units full of stuff they can't bring themselves to part with. To me, that's very sad. $500+/month to store stuff they don't want enough to keep in their house. That's not to mention the $15K+ in credit card debt they accumulated to amass that stuff.

MIL is always bringing stuff over because she things we're deprived, but it really just stresses me out. Our lifestyle is not financially motivated, we just prefer to live simply.

100% Debt Free.... home, car & credit cards.
    Blogging the simple life at: www.sageandsimple.com

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm a minimalist wanna be. I just haven't gotten the hang of it yet.

I have so many things that have been gifts or have a use and I can usually remember who gave it to me and when. *sigh*
    The Free Spirit Saver who walks the path with Greebo.

Onboard with a modified Dave Ramsey Plan
    Budget: "Every month! On paper, on purpose!"

Gardening somewhere between Zone 6b and 7a.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

if they're not useful to you & you do recall who gave them to you - is there an option of re-gifting (to another)?
    What about making them donations to a charitable fund?
    if someone asks, just say that you enjoyed it while you had it, but passed it on to someone else who would/could take better/full use of it. I've done that... and usually there's no upset.
    most people understand that some things simply have a limited life - even if it's useless.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can I be considered a semi-minimalist? Is there such a thing? LOL

I do like things around me (I love to decorate) and like the "cozy" feeling. Without decorative items or pictures on the wall, etc. I wouldn't feel comfy in my home.

However, I'm minimalist where it comes to keeping things on hand, storing things, etc. I go through drawers, closets, etc. quite often and purge what's not absolutely necessary. If I haven't used it in 6 mos. I toss.

I like having only a few pairs of jeans and a half dozen tops. One or two dresses or dress pants and jackets and that's it. It keeps laundry simple and storage simple. I have only a small medicine chest filled with only necessities, not multiples of creams, lotions, etc. I don't see the purpose of homes with mega closets. The more space we have, the more we want to buy to fill everything!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Compared to some of our friends we are. One car, one very small tv, no cell phones, no fancy kitchen appliances, limited clothing wardrobe (I have 1 pair of shoes!) ... we manage fine without a lot of stuff. On the other hand, maybe half the house is taken up by books, craft and art supplies, fabric, etc. (and it's not just me) so it can look overly cluttered at times.
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I want to have alot less than what we have now, and I am continually downsizing everything. My kids know that if they get a new toy or piece of clothing they have to get rid of something else. I find it really cluttered in our house even though everyone I know seems to think we are deprived. I find the house really cluttered even though I know it really isn't that bad. We do have 7 people, 5 cats and 1 large dog all living in an 1100 sq ft home with no basement or storage space. I'll just keep slowly getting rid of stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

we are minimilists stuck in 'garage sale ready mode'.... i have decluttered the house and it all went into the garage, attic, shed, basement waiting for the big sale....it's boxed and neatly stacked but its driving me crazy still being on the property....and it seems like there is tons of it....

after the big sale in may....we will 'really' be minimilists.... not one thing is coming back into this house or anywhere near it.....i too am constantly cleaning out-rearranging drawers, closets, cabinets, etc....but it seems like each time i can find 'one' more thing to toss....

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I suppose I have to say "me too." I don't like much stuff around, and when it's too evident I begin to get restless until the clutter is filed away. It seems like I still have way too much stuff. Especially when I move and it's all boxed up, it is mortifying to see how much is there. But the movers always ask increduloulously, "That's ALL?" It usually fits in about a quarter of their truck, and not a huge one at that. Still, it feels like a lot and stuff weighs me down. Even the stockpile is beginning to feel like too much. I'm going to start using it almost exclusively and downsize it.

I guess I'm minimalist in other ways too. No tv, no cell phone, no electronic gadgets beyond a laptop computer, a cd player, a little voice tape recorder, and a radio. I just like it simple - and quiet.
    Donna

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

its funny that you say you like it quiet...that's me exactly.... yesterday i was on the phone with a company and the rep said "hang on-i have to put you on hold and i'm so sorry but our background music is broke " i said "bless you" and he laughed....

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy