Frugal Village Forums banner

small wedding, big anniversary party

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  mek42 
#1 ·
We had just a small family only JP wedding to save money. At the time we decided to throw a big 10th anniversary party, figuring that we'd be better able to afford it and that while any two yahoos can get married, staying together for 10 years has more meaning.

Since we have only recently started on a financial plan we may be pushing the party out to the 15 or 20 year anniversary.

Anyhow, has anyone else either done such a thing or is planning to do such a thing?

#2 ·
Awww, this is such a cute idea. I'll definitely have to remember this for when BF and I finally tie the knot.

#3 ·
My inlaws did a whole 25th anniversary to do, I've been told. It was about 10 years before I came into the picture. The overdid it from what I heard. Then again, there motto is "Go Big or Go Home". I think that a party to celebrate you marriage is a wonderful idea. I'd go low key and have a BBQ. Something you could enjoy not a big stressful to do.

#4 ·
We got married with the JP and no one else. In Sept. it will be our 20th anniversary. We are renewing our vows on the beach at sunset, renting a couple rooms, going to dinner with our kids and parents. Oh and we're having a cake made (small one) since we never had one. :) I am very excited!!

#7 ·

Oh and we're having a cake made (small one) since we never had one. ...
A little splurge we attempted to indulge in was for the top layer of our small cake to be cheesecake. The bakery screwed up hard - we think they used salt instead of sugar. lol

#5 ·
Friends of ours did the JP wedding thing. . . so for their 25th - we did up the wedding. . . her kids took a dress that fit her, and we bought the white wedding dress and had it altered to fit the other dress :D Ditto with tux for her hubby -- had the cake, catered dinner, etc. . . . all for church on a Sunday morning! The preacher told everyone that the sermon was going to be special - then their kids took them out to get dressed. . . their re-creation of their vows was the sermon that Sunday.

#6 ·
Since we're on 2nd marriages here, I plan for our 18th wedding anniversary--a celebration. Pictures taken, cake, friends, family, & a nice trip. We're not getting younger & I see too many 50+yr olds, in the obit's. So~~ have a 15th, 16th...& enjoy. Life is too short.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.