Any "sometimes single" Moms?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Any "sometimes single" Moms?

Pilot wives, military wives, doctor wives, firefighters, etc....Ya know, those of us that are on our own with the kids 24/7 more often then we aren't? I'd love to get to know ya better!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My dh travels about 2 weeks or so out of every month. China, Canada and various US states. It gets old sometimes. Thankfully my kids are older and mostly self-sufficient.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Me too....my DH is an OTR Truck Driver. He left the 11th of this month and won't be home until Chtistmas. My DS is 17 so he's more self-sufficient than a little one. It's still lonely.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I fit in here. Kids are grown but I am always busy!

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm here. My husband is deployed to Iraq right now. So it's just me and little Mr. Wesley
    McD
    -wife to Z
    -mommy to Dubya & Moo Cow

Blog: http://familystylemayhem.com/

My Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/nicd...view=thumbnail

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I consider myself a "married single mom" many times. My DH is a cop, and often works six or seven days a week, usually 10-12 hour shifts. We are like ships passing in the night most of the week.

His days off are the days that I work, which is great for not needing a babysitter, but not great for having any time together at all. We don't even sleep on the same shifts most of the time!
    Last edited by AmyMCGS; 11-20-2007 at 03:59 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great to meet you all! As my siggy says, my DH is a commercial airline pilot - he's usually gone about 4-5 days and then home for 3-4. Since the kids are so small, it works out well because they get to see daddy a lot. That'll change once they get into school, as he rarely has weekends/holidays off.

We're working on becoming a little more "independant" as in not needing to rely so much on his salary - through rental property, eventally moving onto a farm and becoming more self sufficient. That way he'll hopefully be able to start flying for a small sea-plane operation locally and he'll be home for dinner every night - Oh to dream!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

my husband has such a crazy sched. i feel like that sometimes. i have to keep a calander on the desk so i know when he'll actually be here. it wasn't so bad when coop was little, but now that hes in school sometimes he wont see his daddy for a week. coop is in bed when he comes home from work and stan is gone back to work before he gets home from school.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I guess I'll be fitting in here for awhile. Dh accepted a new job that has him away from us for job training....leaving me to hold down the fort I hate being apart from him & can't wait to be on the other side of all of it.
    All of the houseapes still live at home, so it makes it a little easier to bear....but its just not the same without dh here, picking on everyone

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Jamauk View Post
    Great to meet you all! As my siggy says, my DH is a commercial airline pilot - he's usually gone about 4-5 days and then home for 3-4. Since the kids are so small, it works out well because they get to see daddy a lot. That'll change once they get into school, as he rarely has weekends/holidays off.

We're working on becoming a little more "independant" as in not needing to rely so much on his salary - through rental property, eventally moving onto a farm and becoming more self sufficient. That way he'll hopefully be able to start flying for a small sea-plane operation locally and he'll be home for dinner every night - Oh to dream!!!

Good luck with all that! Sounds great.

DH left for his job in the middle east right after I found I was pregnant. So DS1 and I made it on our own for the pregnancy and the year and a half after that. He was home for the twins' births but left when they were 2 1/2 weeks old. He saw them at 6 months when we spent a month in Lebanon with him for their baptism. Then he was home for their first Christmas and the next May to put a new roof on the house (that's a whole other thread!). After we moved to Lebanon to be nearer (he was in Kuwait) he visited us 3 times and we visited him here twice. So until the twins were almost 2 1/2 they only saw him for visits. For the last year we've lived together (except this summer when we traveled home for a month and then Lebanon for a year and a half) and it's been great. There are still times when he gets busy and gone during our evenings but when that happens he usually has time home during the day with the twins.

"You have to invite Jesus into your heart."

"Why? Is He a vampire?"

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well as for me, my DH works and I am a SAHM, my DD goes to school during the day (when DH is home) and I pick her up from school at 3pm when DH is at work, so more often than not I am with her more than he is, I repremand, punish, etc. her since they hardly see each other.

I see DH in the mornings until about 1pm then not again till 10pm but mornings go by fast so it feels like we never see each other and his only day off is Sunday and Holidays.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I used to be a member of this 'club'. Gripey was a farmer for years so we saw very little of him during those years (about the first 1/2 of our marriage). Now he's home a lot more which is great but I do know just how you all feel. It's not easy but you get used to it (sort of) after a while. You have to just go on and do your own thing, make the best of it, don't you?

~48 yr. old sahw, livin' it up in our empty nest, smack dab in the middle of everywhere.~

*We're debt freeeeeeeee! (including the house)*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

BTW, I meant to say we were in Lebanon for a MONTH and a half this summer. LOL

"You have to invite Jesus into your heart."

"Why? Is He a vampire?"

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I belong to this group! My DH is a fire fighter and works 24 hour shifts. He also has a part-time job so our time together is limited. It's one of the reasons we decided to homeschool (not the only reason). The kids get to see daddy more often and we get to schedule family things on his days off. If they were in a traditional school setting, we would have to wait until holiday breaks or summer vacation.

I've been a "sometimes single mom" for so long now that it really doesn't bother me. In fact, I think I've grown up alot and become more self-sufficient.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I fit in here. My husband is a helicopter pilot for the state police/homeland security. He works 12 hour shifts and is on nights right now. I get lonely alot and overwhelmed sometimes with the responsibilities of two kids and running the house, but I'm not complaining at all. After 18 years, it's such a way of life. Me and the kids really miss him on weekends and holidays when he's working, though. That we'll never get used to.

One nice thing about his schedule, though, is he often has a few days off during the middle of the week. While the kids are in school, we go out for breakfast or lunch sometimes, or just spend the day together at home or out somewhere. I live for those days!
    Last edited by changed4life; 11-25-2007 at 10:50 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast