Frugal Village Forums banner

Kale versus collard greens - take the quiz

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Ms Frugal 
#1 ·
I grew up on collard greens and this vegetable is staple in many southern U.S kitchens. My husband has gotten me out of the tradition way I cook collards by making stew with the greens. I usually add tomatoes, onions, carrots, chicken or pork to the collards.

Kale is a new vegetable in my diet and I was introduced to it by one of my friends. My favorite way is to cook it with potatoes, but I do need to find other kale recipes. I will be making kale chips for party I will be attending soon. See the recipe at the end of this article.

Take the kale and collard green nutritional quiz and read the article below to see how many you have gotten correct.

Which vegetable has more fiber per serving?
Does collards have more calories or is it kale?
Which vegetable has 266 mg of calcium and which has 96 mg?
Which vegetable is higher in vitamin C and potassium?
Is kale or collards considered a cruciferous vegetable?

Kale leaves

Collard greens and kale are both cruciferous vegetables, that means they are in the same family as broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts. All of these vegetables contain vitamins, minerals, and glucosinolates which may help to prevent cancer.

Collard greens contain 5.3 grams of fiber per serving (1 cup or 235 ml) and Kale is lower with 2.6 grams per serving. Kale is lower in calories at 36 calories a serving and collards is also low at 49 calories per serving.

Collard greens' mineral content has 220 grams of potassium, 2.2 grams of iron and 266 grams of calcium. Kale's mineral content is slightly lower with 1.17 grams of iron and 94 grams of calcium but it beats collards with its potassium level at 296 mg per serving.

If you have a cold, it is better to eat kale because it offers 53.3 mg of vitamin C and collards only has 34.6 mg of vitamin C. Collards and kale are both high in vitamin A and K and have the same levels of B vitamins.

So how did you do? If you did poorly, so did I. We are all here to learn and remember to add kale or collards to your family's weekly menu. Try these kale and collard frugal recipes below:

Homemade Kale Chips:
Homemade Kale Chips | Traditional Foods

Pasta with greens and tomato sauce
Pasta with Greens & Tomato Sauce Recipe | Eating Well

See less See more
#4 ·
I like all types of greens - collards, turnips, kale. Kale is a relatively new thing for me but like Rona, I add it to all sorts of soups. I have a kale soup recipe. If you're interested, I'll post it. It's pretty good. :)

Reactions: Ms Frugal
#8 ·
Correction in the middle of the post, I meant mg not grams

Collard greens contain 5.3 mg of fiber per serving (1 cup or 235 ml) and Kale is lower with 2.6 mg per serving. Kale is lower in calories at 36 calories a serving and collards is also low at 49 calories per serving.

Collard greens' mineral content has 220 mg of potassium, 2.2 mg of iron and 266 mg of calcium. Kale's mineral content is slightly lower with 1.17 mg of iron and 94 mg of calcium but it beats collards with its potassium level at 296 mg per serving.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.