Frugal Village Forums banner

August Freezer/Pantry Challenge

2K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  qsaver704 
#1 ·
It is the beginning of a new month. Who is eating items already in your house to save money, not waste, organize, make room for gardening or whatever?

#2 ·
I am eating out of my pantry and freezer again this month to save as much money as I can at the grocery store. I sat down and made menus. I should have 17 meals with only needing milk, bread, produce, etc. I also will need to pick up diapers, baby formula and baby food.

So far...

hot dogs, chicken patties, buns, mayo gone

#3 ·
I am in on this. I went through my pantry last weekend. My freezer is not too full, I'll double check that tonight, but I should be good for the next 2 weeks with just buying milk, bread and some produce. I have a bunch of canned veggies, but since veggies are so cheap and yummy now I would prefer fresh.

#4 ·
Now that I'm retired,I can post here more often. Now that I'm home and have plenty of time to cook ,I'm better at re-purposing leftovers.
We've had lots of fresh veggies from our neighbors on both sides. We've also had take home plates from some weekend events we attended and contributed foodstuffs. So we are doing OK on the grocery front right now.

#6 ·
eaten lately:
-green beans
-last of the fresh garden squash
-2 chicken breasts (one into a chicken noodle dinner, 1/2 into a chicken pot pie for tomorrow, 1/2 shredded for later and back into the freezer)
-noodle box meal
-mixed veggies
-cream of soup
-sandwich thins
-cheese
-sausage

Today's lunch was mini pizzas made with sandwich thins I got with a free coupon, home canned pizza sauce from last year, sausage that we had leftover from a breakfast meal, and some Aldi cheese, very cheap!

#7 ·
Organized my freezer last night. Threw out a few things, but now I know what I have in there. I got some stew meat out that needs to be used up, I'll probably put some stew in the crockpot tomorrow, then will have that during the week.

Finished up
A bag of chocolate chips
a jar of salad dressing
a can of protein powder
a jar of salsa

It's a start...

#8 ·
Since we are using up what we have here,I have a question. What do you do with leftover salad? I have almost a 2gallon zip bag left from a party yesterday. I thought I read once about putting in the blender with some type of liquid(broth?) and making a cold soup. Of course I can't find any recipe like that now. Any suggestions before I venture into my own concoctions?
Thanks in advance.

#11 ·
I need to work on my kitchen freezer more, seems I can't get ahead. It is usually stuffed with bits and pieces that I need to use up.

partial bag of egg noodles
partial bag of broccoli
hot dog chili
4 hot dogs
hot dog buns
1 cup pineapple juice
4 sandwich buns
frozen strawberry jam
spaghetti sauce
2 bags mixed veggies

from the pantry I just need to use up
4 cans bean sprouts
can stewed tomatoes
2 cans sliced mushrooms

#14 ·
So far that I can remember
3 chicken breasts...1 shredded for chicken salad and 2 cooked in sesame ginger and shredded for pizza, spanish rice or salad
1 bag salad
1 box ziplocs
1 box muffin mix
finished off 1 jar pizza sauce
1 red pepper out of fridge
1 box shake & bake
1 pkg hot dogs
1 pkg buns
1 jar spaghetti sauce
1 box spaghetti
1 box cheesy bread
1 container hamburger from fridge
2 jars pickles
1 cannister coffee mate
1 bag Splenda
1 lg container reg coffee
1 bag shrimp scampi
1 jar mushrooms
2 cans soup

#15 ·
Tonight...
Used up last of the cooked hamburger in container in fridge
Made spaghetti...opened up new sauce so have partial jar left...used most of another box noodles

#16 ·
I did make stew on Monday, used...
Stew meat from the freezer
1/2 can diced tomatoes
can of cream of mushroom soup
last of an onion
last of the carrots
last of the beef broth

Made a peach cobbler as well. Used up 3 peaches that were just about to spoil.

I did throw out 3 bananas today. They got buried under all of the tomatoes from my garden and were way past the point of being usable or freezeable.

#18 ·
Tonight

One box Rice Roni
1 can flavored crushed tomatoes
1 red pepper
1 green pepper

#19 ·
The inside freezer is looking more empty than I can remember EVER! I am aiming for not buying much until we get back from the beach. We are going Aug 28-Sept 2, so I am eating what is here the rest of the month and grocery shopping when I get back. We don't have quite enough meals to make it all the way, so I am stretching and getting creative.

We have used up:

Pantry-
potatoes
mac n cheese bake
tortilla shells
canned chili beans

Freezer/fridge-
LO frozen buns (made toast from 1 hamburger and 2 hot dog buns)
corn
chicken strips
fudge
cheddar cheese block
shredded Mexican cheese
salad
LO sides
carrots
pizza
spinach dip
roast

#20 ·
Need to clean out and inventory freezers. Getting low, haven't been any good meat sales, except chicken, this summer. :dis:

#21 ·
My freezer is also the emptiest it has been in a long time. I cooked a half of a pork loin I had in there. I also took some chicken breasts out to grill for dinner and a couple of lunches for the week. Haven't done much in my pantry, been eating all of the fresh fruits and veggies lately.

#22 ·
getting rough around our house, running out of food, but only 7 more days until vacation, so I think we can make it. All the "fun" food is gone, for sure!

rice
chili beans in a can
mexican ricex2
tortilla shells
refried beans
marshmallows
2 soups
pudding

hamburger meat
shredded chicken
cheese
sandwich thin bread

#23 ·
almost the end of the month and vacation starts Sunday morning

used the last few days:
tuna
chips
noodles (2)
rice
cheese
pizza sauce
cream of chicken soups (4)
shrimp
mixed veggies
chicken breasts (4)
bread

For next month's budget, I paid all the bills and expected expenses first and then used the left over for food budget. We have $30 for a family of 4. Guess I will be seeing if I can stretch the pantry and freezer challenge a little longer!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.