Major challenge.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made salisbury steak just this week -- it's cheap and very filling. Here's a scaled down version of what I do (I make it 5-10 lbs of meat at a time).

Take 1 lb. ground beef, but you could very easily use ground turkey or ground chicken. Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup quick oats, 1/2 pkg. onion soup mix and about 1/4 cup water and 1 egg (you can leave out if you want). Add whatever other seasonings you want but you won't need much salt, but you can add powdered/minced garlic, black pepper, etc. Mix with hands and shape in patties. Brown in skillet. With the remaining 1/2 pkg of soup combine with 2 cups water in small saucepan. Bring to boil. Thicken with cornstarch/water or flour/water mixture to make gravy and season to taste with black pepper and a small bit of salt (the soup mix tends to be salty though). Serve 'steaks' with gravy and your choice of mashed potatoes, rice or noodles.
    Note: I do these in a large batch, so I brown my patties in oven on sheet pans, mainly because I use ground beef and this gets a lot of the fatty grease out. I then transfer to a 9x13 or larger pan and pour gravy over patties. I cover with foil and bake till patties are done (these can be baked for as long as 1 hour if necessary -- so it makes a nice meal that can be prepped ahead of time and 'kept' in the oven till dinner).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok, I have a couple more ideas - I made pasta con broccolli last night from scratch. I hmade the white sauce - 8 tbls butter, 8tbls flour 4 cups milk, garlic powder,4 tbls red spag sauce(this is optional) 1 box of noodles (I used spaghetti) 1 bag of broccolli. This will be 2 dinners for us. I have a couple heavy eaters, so this may be more for you. Also, you could buy top ramen noodles and add veggies to them. Normally this isnt a great meal, but if money is really tight, It will work.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks everyone! All the ideas have been great and as soon as I'm done work (we have been Slammed this week) I'm going to make up a 21 day menu and see what I need to buy for my $21 (if not more thanks to the savings ideas regarding my containers) and see waht I can cook and freeze on Sunday. Any more ideas.. keep them coming and thank you again! You have no idea how great it feels to have you ladies to turn to in the time of need.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

what we do at my house is make what we call a "pot". its really just soup . we take a big can of tomato sauce and put all kinds of left overs in the pot.,add a can of corn and some pasta..its a great way to use up all the left overs in your fridge and save money at the same time.

we also stock up on big can of tomato sauce all year long.. we make mostof our pasta sauce ... look on line for other soup receips.. esp since it should get cool soon.
    car loan 12/2006 14,687.93

student load : in forbearance

Registered User Lori Biever-Launder's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Omelettes can be filled with pretty much anything. Any bits of leftover meat and veggies along with a bit of cheese make a filling meal.

You can make fried rice with veggies, eggs and a bit of meat. Meat goes a long ways when it's used as a condiment rather than a big part of the meal.

If you have any sage, you can make turkey patties and add sage to season them. Viola--turkey sausage!

If the dollar store has any biscuit mix, buy a box. You can make impossible pies with it and leftover odds and ends. Check out betty crocker.com for recipes!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12