Frugal Village Forums banner

Freezer/pantry challenge

8K views 55 replies 28 participants last post by  peanut 
#1 ·
I know some of us still had quite a bit to use up so here is the thread:cowboy:. Tonight I'm making chicken poppy seed casserole, and using a box of rice a roni whole grain rice.

#2 ·
I'll join! Today I made chicken soup (homemade broth). I had kohlrabi and carrots, so in they went. I didn't have noodles, but I had barley. Then I made vegetable curry, using up some veggies from my CSA. Meals for the weekend (I work) without going to the store--woot! Next week is the last week I'll receive a CSA share, and it'll be a big one. My goal is to use up loads of veggies, eggs, and the chicken and fish I have in the freezer before buying anything else significant.

#5 ·
I'm sort of in ....need to clean up what I have, but also want to make a bunch of Christmas gifts for teachers & friends, make holiday cookies, am hosting Thanksgiving. I need flour, sugar, milk, produce, but will try not to buy meat, rice/ pasta, etc.

Tonight we are enjoying eating out.... a new restaunt in town sent us a coupon in the mail for BOGO Free adult buffet ($5.95) + kids 8 and under eat for $.99, so our family of 5 will eat for $9....and I don't have to cook!

#6 ·
I am totally in! My grocery budget for November is $100 so I need to use up freezer/pantry items.

Yesterday I made last frozen pizza and used up some leftover cold veggies to put on top.

Today I made a batch of chili with can of beans from pantry and meftover ground turkey and 3/4 can i had leftover crushed tomatoes, adn half box of veggie stock. Turned out good!

#7 ·
Okay, I'll bite. I have 18 one pound packages of pureed pumpkin in my freezer. I just found out about a recipe for Pumpkin Bread Pudding. I'm going to try it and see if I can turn it into a low fat, low sugar delight. It's a crockpot recipe.

Other than that...I'm stocked for the month at least. Tonight is a vegetarian night. I think it will be Swiss Chard Pie (a crustless quiche). I've had a couple packages of Swiss Chard hiding out in my freezer for entirely too long.

Jean

#11 · (Edited)
Sure, it's from "Guideposts" magazine this month. I'll have my work cut out for me turning this into a low fat low sugar version!

Simon's Pumpkin Bread Pudding

8 slices bread, cubed
2 c. whole milk (I'm going to use evaporated skim)
4 eggs
1/4 c. sugar (I'm going to try stevia)
1/4 c. butter, melted (I might omit this totally)
1/4 c. raisins
1 can pumpkin pie filling (I'll use my frozen stuff, and maybe add some pumpkin pie spice)
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

Sauce:
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. flour
1 c. water
3/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Place bread in greased crock-pot. Beat together milk and eggs. Stir in sugar, butter, raisins, pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour over bread and stir. Cover; cook on high 1 hour. Reduce heat to low; cook 3-4 hours or until temperature is 160F.

Make sauce just before pudding is done. Begin by melting butter in saucepan. Stir in flour till smooth. Gradually add water, sugar and vanilla. Bring to boil. Cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over hot bread pudding.

#12 ·
By the way, the crustless Swiss Chard quiche was a hit! It was from Recipezaar and was called Swiss Chard Pie. I changed the method a bit to accommodate the frozen nature of the chard. I also used half yogurt and half skim milk, rather than the whole milk they called for. It worked great. Served with homemade garlic toast. Yum!

Jean

#14 ·
I didn't do so well in October. I used up quite a bit, but continued to buy the great sales. So I haven't made a lot of progress. With more great baking and holiday sales coming, I am not sure if I can do it again. I did use all my frozen meals last month and now am feeling the need to get more made and in the freezer. I really like having frozen homemade meals ready to pull out. Good luck everyone!

#16 ·
I'm in this month. DH has no jobs lined up and we've got 2 big expenses with DS's wedding and DD's cheer off in Orlando. Today I'm making up a Pasta Fagioli Soup with items a)in the deep freezer I cleaned out on a job b) items from the pantry on the same job
c)leftovers from a veggie tray at a luau we had 2 weeks ago.

Laurie in Bradenton

#17 ·
I'm cooking up 1 1/2 lbs of ground beef (freezer) with a few cans of tomatoes (pantry) and some onion and garlic (fridge) into some pasta sauce. I'll have 4 dinners "made" in one afternoon. Now if I just had some fresh bread for garlic toast! I guess store bought bread will have to do...not as yummy though.

#18 ·
I'm gonna flop tonight. We're having some kids haul furniture for us, so we're springing for pizza as a thank-you.

However, I found my pantry/freezer inventory from mid-October and will be using that to plan meals for this month. Time to use up some of the weird stuff in my cupboards.

#19 ·
Count me in! We've gotten stocked up as of today! & we are sitting pretty! Altho... we may need to get more hamb. meat, but I think I just may be able to stretch it! we have plenty of those weird things in the cabinet that need to be used up!

Kim

#23 ·
Made a Low Fat Pumpkin Pudding for dessert using some pureed pumpkin I made last year and froze. Made my own pumpkin pie spice rather than buy some. That will be dessert tonight. Need to find a pork chop recipe next.

This is a good challenge. It's getting me thinking.

Jean

#25 ·
I cleaned out the pantry today. It is looking pretty bare. I have enough for this month then not much after that. I found some more cornbread mix ( forgot we had thought used up last yesterday and we are loving cornbread lately!) and am making some mini corn bread muffins. I have can of cream of mushroom soup that I will serve tonight with a chicken breasts ( pounded thin) and mashed potatoes and corn. Kids love this dish!

#26 ·
Doing great here. Have been making all meals from pantry and freezer. Waffles for breakfast have been a nice treat for everyone. ANd the pot of soup has been good for lunches. Supper have all come the freezer. Lots of cleaned out tupperwares finding there way back to the cabinet.

Laurie in Bradenton

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.