Food Battles with kids - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is a really touchy subject for me, too. Having my middle child diagnosed with a form of autism has changed my views on eating. We tried the whole "take a few bites thing" but that didn't work. We have tried it all. But those with Aspies know that they are, for the most part, VERY stubborn. He lost 15 pounds when we tried to get him away from the mac and cheese, pizza, chicken nuggets, etc.

So here we are, still serving him the same items. Every once in awhile he will try a new food. But RARELY likes it. He eats fruits, no vegetables. We drink lots of V8 fruit juices to try and sneak in vegetables. lol Maybe someday, sigh.

-Vanessa

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

we do the same "here's dinner - eat it or not....... no snacking. here's breakfast - eat it or not ........ no snacking, here's lunch - eat it or not...... no snacking" thing that many others do.

We also have special needs in our house. He has some serious food texture sensory issues. While I keep them in mind, I do not cater every bit of every meal to him. My philosophy on that is that my son is living in a "normal" world, and he needs to learn to function in as best as possible, not have the world cater to him - so I have sort of forced the "eat what is served" rule for him. Sometimes he eats, sometimes he doesn't. But it's his choice when he doesn't, and then he is hungry untill the next meal opportunity.

It's what works for us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You have recieved a lot of good advice but let me add 1 final observation. I was an incredibly picky eater because food was a power struggle in my house. My Dmom had anxiety about me getting enough nutrition based on her childhood. i could feel it. It led to battles.
    W/ a young child (toddler) give them choices. This or that. only. So they're not overwhelmed. Take them to the fruit market and buy what you need and let them choose 1 fruit/veg to try w/ no obligation to finish. They can safely build their food likes.
    Take the sugar out of the equation. Sugar calls more sugar. It is addictive.
    Veiw you childs nutrition over a week. Did they get enough protien this week,veg,fruit. Bear in mind they have hungry days and low eating days too. Give your kids vitamin supp. to bridge the gap.
    Keep this to yourself. Keep your likes and dislikes to yourself. If you don't lima beans etc. let them try 'em anyway.
    I never asked my kids what they wanted. Or said let see if they like this. I just gave it to them. If they didn't o.k. Sometimes I would drop it on the high chair and go. Also,never allow kids to walk all over w/ food. In the kitchen and outside at the picnic table. In a restaurant the same thing. JMHO. Mine both are teens and are healthy. Not fat,not skinny.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Once my kids were old enough to understand the concept. . . they were required to eat 2 bites of everything we served. One bite to thank God for providing the food, one bite to thank the one who prepared it. . . .

I only put the 2 bites of each food on their plate to start. Once that was gone, they were welcome to help them selves to more of anything served. . . with the stipulation, that once it was on their plate. . . they had to eat it. They could have a small serving of potatoes and have 3rds if they wanted. . . but if they took a large helping. . they had to eat it all.

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

nessarowdy, I sure understand what you're talking about. My DS1 had no appetite at all while growing up (it's changed now) His teacher called me from school to let me know that he had been throwing away his lunch everyday. He was rail thin, and slim fits just swam on him. His doctor said keeping him from starving himself to death was more important than what he would eat. He suggested I pack his lunch with foods that he really liked so we could get something, anything in him. Which is just what I did, yes it was junky, but at least he was eating something even if it was just nibbles. He did, by the way eventually eat just about everything, but it was really hard to get him to even take a bite of something just because he was not ever hungry.

I have a GREAT chocolate cupcake recipe that is made with vegetables (can not tell at all!) if you'd like it. It was his favorite and I made it all the time. He still asks for them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pollypurebred39 View Post
    I have a GREAT chocolate cupcake recipe that is made with vegetables (can not tell at all!) if you'd like it. It was his favorite and I made it all the time. He still asks for them.
    I'll speak for all of us when I say "YES, WE'D LOVE TO HAVE THE RECIPE~ WILL YOU PLEASE SHARE IT??"

tia

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

All three of my boys have eating issues despite my dh and I trying everything to get them to eat healthy foods. They're all very picky, but I can't blame them 'cause I was a picky eater also as a child. Oldest ds is a pasta eater, but will eat a couple of veggies sometimes. He does eat meat. Middle ds is my biggest nightmare! Junk food is his favorite. I can't think of a single vegetable that he will eat. He likes meatloaf usually and chicken, tiny bits of steak sometimes. He's been anemic in the past. He won't eat leftovers or things reheated in the microwave. Only eats certain brands of mac-n-cheese and will only eat it if it's hot. Won't eat cheese much anymore...rarely eats fruit. He likes bean burritoes and chicken enchiladas. He will drink a glass of milk during breakfast...will not drink fruit juice. Youngest ds was our veggie eater, but over the last year or so he has cut way back. He likes brussel sprouts, olives, avocadoes, dill pickles. Used to like salad, but now not so much. He likes fruit usually, but has cut back on them also. He likes meat, doesn't eat potatoes not even fries usually, doesn't eat rice, etc. None of them will eat corn-on-the-cob. My kids don't even like pb and j much and oldest won't eat it at all! They don't like cookies particularly except for Oreos and homemade chocolate chip. They don't usually eat cake or cupcakes just bits of them. I'm probably the only mother in the world that can make cupcakes and then have to throw them out. My kids like salty snacks the most like tortilla chips and pretzels (oldest ds doesn't like them) and boiled peanuts. Middle ds likes oatmeal, but won't eat eggs. Youngest ds likes eggs, but won't eat oatmeal. Ugh! They drive me nuts!

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Chocolate surprise cupcakes

1 large egg
    whites of 2 large eggs
    1 square (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate,melted
    2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    3/4 cup flour
    1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 1/2 cups shredded raw carrots, beets, zucchini or combination (8 ounces total)

1) heat oven to 350'. Coat 12 regular size muffin cups with non-stick spray

2) beat eggs and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer about 1 minute. Beat in chocolate, oil, vanilla, and baking soda. Stir in flour and cocoa, then shredded vegetables. Spoon into prepared cups.

3) Bake 30 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. cool completely in pan on wire rack. Turn out and decorate.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Like another poster mentioned, it could just be a particular product, not the entire category of food. I hated canned peas and corn growing up, but loved the frozen variety. My mother had stockpiled on the canned versions, and it took forever to get through all the cans. Once we hit the frozen veggies, I ate them all the time.

My mother made one meal for the family, and that's what we ate. I recall sitting at the table for great lengths some nights, picking at a cold dinner, which was worse than the hot dinner. At the time, I hated it, but I appreciate it now. I am a healthy eater now, and will try new things fairly often.

Try to find out why your child doesn't want to eat something, if you can. It will probably come down to "I don't like it", but you might be able to find a compromise. If not, I would suggest doing what you, as a mother, thinks is best. If it's making him eat the dinner you cooked, or if it's making something else, just so he'll eat.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I guess all I'm gonna add is don't buy the kids yogurt...they're a way too overpriced... buy large vanilla or plain yogurts and add your own fruit...don't buy sweetened applesauce, buy unsweetened or better yet, make your own. Make the fruit rollups for a special treat only.
    If the stuff isn't there, he/she will have to eat what's at the table at mealtime. Offer one thing for snack (i.e. peanut butter and crackers or fresh fruit with/or without milk). Sooner or later habits will change.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Don't battle with food. Put the food on the table, if they don't want it then they aren't hungry. Don't give in and give them something else. Remember you are in charge.

Registered User cocoasensations's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As parents, we have to understand our kids but not to the extent that we give all they want. I personally choose my daughter's diet; sometimes she doesn't like it but I always tell her it's good for her. Well, I'm happy that she understands..My daughter is 3 years old.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My youngest was the only one of my kids that was a picky eater. Most kids love mac n' cheese. Not mine. Wouldn't touch it. No vegetables - especially after a babysitter (licensed by the state, mind you, and supposedly "reputable") grabbed him by the face and force-fed him corn when he refused to eat it. Hasn't touched corn since.
    And I was one of those "you're going to eat what I serve" moms for a while too - we had a 2-hour battle over 5 green beans one night. I told him he had to eat them, and he refused, so we sat there for 2 hours while he cried over having to eat them. He ate them - and then promptly threw them back up. That was the LAST time I did that.

Now that picky eater eats everything and anything, at age 12. Including mac n' cheese and green beans. Still won't touch corn, though.

Registered User cocoasensations's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrangler71 View Post
    I sat at the table every night until bedtime and all I learned was how to starve myself. I don't feel hunger, frequently go days without remembering to eat and have the worst nutritional habits of any adult I know.

This is really me...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12