Fancy a Natter? - Page 10
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast

Thread: Fancy a Natter?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have had about 17 flakes of snow, but it is still very icy. We went to Manchester to the Christmas market yesterday and walking back from the train station was awful - and we had our good grip walking shoes on. I dread to think how people coped just wearing "normal" footwear.

We saw evidence of more snow around Manchester, but still only a few cm, nowhere near as bad as the eastern side of the country. It has been reasonably cold, I think the coldest we've had it about -6 but up in the Highlands temperatures of -20C were recorded!

One of our friends was stranded on the way home from London so decided to take refuge in a small pub and ended up having to spend the night there as the snow hit so hard. There are worse places to be stranded I should think. She seemed to have had a good time at any rate.

What happened with DH's flight? Hope he took off safe and well, it can be such a nightmare this time of year, if it's not the weather it's something else.

Anyway, I'm going to eat a huge breakfast now to soak up some of the mulled wine from yesterday. Speak soon.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well dh arrived at a hotel in Memphis at your time 5 am this morning. His fight finally left at 6 pm from Amsterdam. He called just before take off and said that he was exhausted and he still had a 10 hour flight in front of him.

I was just so grateful to hear his voice this morning (he texted - I was awake and then called).
    Of course he missed his connecting flight by HOURS. So he has a flight to Dallas this morning (US time).

Did you see my post before the one about dh's fight and the weather?
    It's about our St. Nicolaas custom. The celebration at school was on Friday but the day itself is today.
    Worthwhile reading if your are interested.

I think it must be a nightmare to become stranded especially if you are in the middle of nowhere. Your friend was lucky that she was near a pub.

I LOVE mulled wine. Did you make it yourself or buy it ready made?

Thankfully today - as was forecast - it has rained and the temps are above freezing - finally - so about 3/4 of the snow is away THANK GOODNESS. This still leaves a lot lying unfortunately.

However I hope that they get the rest of the forecast wrong and that it just rains the rest of the day. They have said that we should be getting freezing rain which will give us black ice on the road (always a pleasure).

I'm debating whether or not to go to the shops at midday to get some groceries - just in case.
    Or not - I could always just hibernate and eat what I have in the house (enough) and do the chores that I have on my list for today.

The 2 sons that live at home deserted me yesterday evening to go out and then stay with their girlfriends overnight.

I forgot to mention that Fiori has become a little more adventurous. She has been seeing the sights of London. She firstly didn't want to all alone but for one reason or another she has decided to go.
    She has been all over the place but yesterday she finally went to the museum that I had recommended and she LOVED it as I knew she would.
    She LOVES history especially recent history. So I had mentioned that the Imperial War Museum in London is VERY impressive.
    Well she finally went and she LOVED LOVED LOVED it. She was there for HOURS and even called during the time she was there to say how much she was enjoying it.

Have a great and relaxing Sunday.
    Avril

Mom to Laurens (32), Timothy (29), Dimmen (26), Lloyd (25) and Fiori (23).
    Grandma to Charlie, born April 5th 2013 - so he's now 1 year old.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hi,

Yes I did read the page about St Nicolaas, it was interesting and a lovely custom. My first boyfriend was Dutch so knew a little about it before hand.

Glad to hear DH arrived safely in the States - even with a delay. Also good to hear Fiori is exploring a little. The Imperial War Museum is great, there is one in the North West now too - in Salford so it's good to have somewhere close to hand. It's near to The Lowry theatre so we got to see some of the reenactments they do. I didn't know they did them but we were at a concert at the theatre and went out for the interval and weren't allowed out on the balcony as there were people in army uniforms all around. It took a little while to figure out what was going on - when the explosions started it was obvious everyone was acting so we could enjoy the fun. Although it wasn't as much fun for the smokers in the group who weren't allowed outside for a cigarette!

The mulled wine came from the continental market held in the centre of Manchester every winter. It's really nice as it's situated throughout the city centre but is centered in Albert Square near the town hall. There's plenty to eat and drink, mulled wine, various beers plus hot chocolate and soft drinks. Cured meats, cheeses, and pies are for sale to take home but to eat on the hoof there's a hog roast, bratwurst stands, roast chestnuts, waffles, cookies, pancakes and confectionery of all kinds. There are also stands where locals sell their wares - costume jewellery, bags, hats, some beautiful alpaca wool socks and scarves and things like that.

Luckily for me at a small shopping centre up near the cathedral a vintage fair was underway when we arrived. Sadly we'd arrived by train so I couldn't buy too much, even though there was some lovely glassware and crockery of the era of our house. Still, something will show up elsewhere. I ended up with a new purse (from a stall I'd purchased from before), a picture for our spare bedroom and a carved wooden decoration for the Christmas tree.

It was a little busy for me yesterday - we usually go during the week, but it was still fun and we met up with a group of friends which made it even better.

I'm sure whichever choice you make will be the right one - you'll feel good to have ventured out for provisions or you'll enjoy being at home and making the most of the things you already have in. Today we are resting, I was so tired by the time we got home, it's 90 minutes on the train, including waiting time. DH is making some bread and I think we're going to have a nice cooked lunch. Other than that there's some ski jumping on the tv so we'll snuggle in and enjoy that.

Have a good Sunday!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Things have been hectic to say the least - that's why I haven't been on the forum.

Firstly, thank you for your Christmas card. You should have received yours too by now - post and weather permitting.

Talking about weather, I have heard that we are to get terrible weather as from Thurs. Oh Joy!
    Just hope it is all gone and that flights are normal next Friday (great to say that) when Fiori flies home.

We almost lost my father in law last week. He has been having severe pain around his heart and has had a few small strokes as well. He refuses to call a dr since all of his drs have already said that they can do more for him except prescribe morphine to ease the pain. The last time something like this happened my parents in law did call a dr but that one wanted to take him into hospital which he refused saying that if he was going to die then he would do it at home.

Anyhow, he has been worsening since Tuesday last week and had quite a bad stroke on Wed.
    I only heard about it on Sat. when both dh and were there and got quite annoyed at them for not calling even though I had called them and they hadn't mentioned it.

However o Sat. dh and his mother went grocery shopping and left me and our nephew (eldest son of dh's brother - 17) to watch over father in law. He started complaining of terrible pain and asked that I come sit next to him. He grabbed my hand and groaned and then let out a huge sigh and then it seemed that he wasn't breathing.
    We were both convinced that he had passed. However I saw a vein in his neck with a small pulse.
    After about 10 minutes he came too a bit.
    Our nephew was extremely upset as was I.
    I have never experienced anything like it before.

Dh's brother and sister were in London when all this was going on.

However it seems that he has pulled out of it all a bit and has come out of bed a little but he is in continuous chest pain and has a bad headache even with the morphine.

To be quite honest I would be amazed if he lasts till Christmas.
    Someone here did say that they think he is waiting for Fiori to come home so that the entire family will be here but I don't know.

Dh's sister and brother are back thank goodness.
    Avril

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh my goodness, how awful for you. I don't know what to say really other than I hope he is not in too much pain for too long.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by britbunny View Post
    Oh my goodness, how awful for you. I don't know what to say really other than I hope he is not in too much pain for too long.

I agree with you. There is no quality of life for him with this and my mother in law is a wreck. She is putting on a brave face but is having a really tough time of it.
    Avril

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Just to let you know your card arrived this morning! Thank you so much, I love the card, such a beautiful tree. It has put a smile on my face this morning.
    Apologies, my "enter" button is not working properly, I don't know why. We too are expecting the cold weather to return tonight. From the weather report I have seen the south east is to escape the snow for now so hopefully it will stay away for long enough for Fiori to get home safe and sound. DH's step father goes into hospital today and his operation is tomorrow so fingers crossed that will go well. Hope everything is well with you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad your card arrived in time - the post is doing weird and (not so) wonderful things at the moment. Our post is on strike yet our mail is still being delivered.
    However on saying that I have two deliveries supposed to be coming in from the UK from HMV and Amazon and they have been delayed.
    Just hope they arrive in time for Christmas.

My father in law has rallied a bit more but my sister in law (a nurse) is very skeptical about the whole thing, she feels that he could go any time. He is in a huge amount of pain which the morphine is no longer helping.
    I will keep your dh's stepfather in my thoughts.

Regarding the weather we had the weirdest thing. Snow has been forecast - and a LOT of it. It bucketed down this morning. It couldn't have rained any harder if it tried - almost tropical shower. It was over within 15 minutes. Really not expected. I have given up being surprised about the weather.

Going to have to go, I have to get to the garage for my car. I have to get all 4 tyres replaced. We have shopped around but this is the cheapest and best and it is still costing 800 euros - ouch. It is 200 euros cheaper than the dealer though.
    Avril

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ouch, tyres are always an unwelcome expense.

Just to let you know DH's stepdad had his operation yesterday and made it through ok. MIL hadn't been able to speak to anyone when we spoke to her yesterday so we don't know anything about the operation yet. He was still very groggy last night so we're leaving it until Saturday to visit. But he is out of surgical recovery and back on the ward so that's good. We'll know more today when MIL has spoken to the doctor.

The snow has started, we even had some here which was a surprise so we're a little concerned about getting to the hospital for visiting. Luckily MIL lives on the main road the ambulances use to get to the hospital so she knows it will be the first to be gritted and kept clear so her access should be ok. As they don't have a car the taxi firm know her well and she gets great service from them, I have no doubt they'll do all they can to get her there even if the snow gets worse (they live near the Pennines so are prone to snow).

Thinking of you and your father in law at this tough time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My father is law is up, dressed and walking around.
    I should be surprised but if truth be told I'm not.
    We have been there and back so many times but we all honestly thought that this was it. Heck, he thought that this was it.
    This man is a walking miracle.

How is your dh's stepdad? Any more news?

Today I really need any good thoughts that you have.
    Fiori has laryngitis and can hardly talk. She has gone to the office as usual of course.
    Personally I think it is extreme nerves for her coming home and
    normally she would be excited but because of the weather she is losing it.
    We have said to her to go to her boss and ask if she can take the Thursday and maybe even the Wednesday off so that she can try and get home earlier - we would change the flights for her and just hope and pray that the weather will work along with her.
    We have also been having a LOAD of snow and this has also been causing major problems with all transport.

I'll keep you posted.
    Avril

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Please keep your fingers crossed for good weather today at 10.30 and 11.30 your time UK.
    Fiori has been given the last 2 days off because she is as sick as a dog. She can hardly talk and has a really bad cough. Her boss felt really sorry for her also because of the weather conditions and both her and our fears that she would become stranded at Christmas.

So we have changed her flights (don't ask what it cost but it will be worth it) so with a bit of luck, she'll be home - physically in our home - at 13.00 our time.

I'll keep you posted.
    Avril

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hope everything goes well, I was worried for her when I saw the huge queues at the ... well, everywhere in London. I have a few things to fill you in on but not just yet!

If I'm not on before have a great Christmas and hope everyone is home safe and sound.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hello,just wanted to pop in and wish you both a Merry Christmas.
    Hope your holidays go well. I have been in christmas shopping and wrappping fog. Such a busy time of year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

FIORI IS HOME!!!!

Even at the last minute she had a delay but she finally arrived at Rotterdam airport at 2 pm local time and was in the house at 2.45 pm.
    The whole house is like a bomb site with all her things but I don't care.

Just in case I don't get a chance to get on here before then, I would like to take this opportunity to wish you all a wonderful Christmas.
    Avril

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Merry Christmas to everyone who reads this, hope the day went well yesterday.

Right, taking the time now DH isn't sat right next to me to fill you in on what's been going on. His stepdad's operation didn't go according to plan, they couldn't remove the tumour due to its position, so they have just had to bypass it and reconnect his colon further down. So he will have to have a course of chemo/radiotherapy in the new year when he's recovered from the operation enough to be able to cope with it.

He did not make it home in time for Christmas so yesterday was spent with him at the hospital. He was hoping to be eating by this point so he could have a proper meal but he's still on a drip. MIL didn't open any of her gifts so Christmas has been delayed until everyone can attend, whenever that is.

I felt very bad for DH's grandmother yesterday. The weather has been so bad for the past 9 days she has been unable to leave the house. She always spends Christmas with MIL but obviously could not this year so was alone all day. We visited her but didn't get there until teatime so it seemed a little late really. But at least we got to see her. She was feeling sad as she didn't feel up to visiting the hospital as her own husband died there over New Year a few years back so it brings back too many memories for her. We have been doing what we can for everyone but the snow has been so bad we've been housebound too.

At the other end of the spectrum I'll post up some photo's we took of the beach last weekend!

We were meant to be visiting FIL today but (dare I say thankfully) it has been cancelled. I'm sorry to be glad about it but he is making me so cross at the minute I'm finding it very difficult to want to spend time with him. It's all little things but they add up to really annoying me. A fine example was this morning, DH's grandmother phoned us to tell us not to come over today, she said she had to phone as FIL didn't have our phone number. Which is complete ... rubbish. He also got our address wrong when sending our Christmas card. I know it sounds like small stuff but DH is hos only son. FIL goes on and on about family stuff but doesn't even bother to know the details of DH's life. I know he doesn't like me and that's totally fine, but that's a separate issue. It just really really annoys me. Ooooh, did I have a rant there?

Hope everything is well with everyone else. We're going to spend today having a nice relax and maybe watch some football. Speak soon and if no-one's around beforehand have a Happy New Year.

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast