Frugal Village Forums banner

Fancy a Natter?

Tags
fancy natter
19K views 328 replies 11 participants last post by  britbunny 
#1 ·
Hi everyone and anyone,

How are things in your world at the minute?

Things are generally good with me, there is still some uncertainty about DH's job - but his boss has been discussing some long term projects with him so it points to his job being safe but you never know. I'm also looking for a job, but at the minute I'm looking for something I want to do rather than just any old job, but obviously there's not all that much about just now.

But other than work everything is brilliant. We all love the new house and the new area, getting out and about lots. Plus we have the bonus of quince and blackberry bushes in the garden *yum yum*

#59 ·
Well, we had a big scare yesterday! DH got up in the morning, went downstairs to see the bunnies and one of them was seriously ill. When a bunny stops eating it's never a good thing! So we called the vet, the receptionist told us to get her in as soon as we could (well trained staff!) we saw the vet who is a rabbit expert and they took her in.

It was such a long day without her, the other rabbit was freting and pining for her. BUT THEN we received a call from the vet who said she had picked up really well and although they wanted to keep her in overnight she was hopeful she would be fine - and she wanted to keep her for herself as she was so beautiful!

So, long and horrible night without her - we picked her up this morning and she has done nothing but eat ever since. I was very nervous at how much the bill would be, with the overnight stay and everything. We paid £39.03. I couldn't believe it, I thought we'd be up around the £100 mark for a full 24 hours including all the medication and everything.

I love my vet.

#60 ·
Just to check in.
Once again a rotten week - I suppose things can only get better - I live in hope LOL.

I'll start with dh and myself.
The final part of the root canal treatment got done and I am SO relieved.
Dh is ok but we are starting to reel with the stress of everything that is being thrown at us.

Once again I am SO VERY GRATEFUL for this forum because I can vent on here in reasonable anonimity (sp?).

Oldest son is taking his time thinking about what he will be doing about his wife. His wife has changed the locks on their apartment and has gone to France for 2 weeks so he is like a bull in a china ship regarding his mood - he is furious.

However, I have heard from a very reliable source that he has started seeing someone else.

I am NOT amused. I hope that you can understand this.
It also seems that he was seeing someone before he and his wife split up. I am SO p...... at this you cannot imagine.
Whether she is an alcoholic or not, this is not right. I feel like we have been used.

As I already mentioned our second son was thrown out of his appartment by oldest son (the owner). In the meantime he has been staying with his girlfriend in the house that she shares with 3 other girls while he looks for something else.
They have given him an ultimatum, in that he has to leave within 1 week since it was never the idea that the boyfriends stayed indefinitely in the house.

So he was here this week and it was agreed that as soon as oldest son moved out either to another appartment because his own one was sold or to something else, 2nd son would move in and occupy the room that oldest son now has. However now there has been the ultimatum from his girlfriend's flatmates.

2nd son said (and he's right) that it is ridiculous that he has in prinicpal nowhere to stay while oldest son HAS an appartment but won't move into to it. So he asked if he could come and stay here even though oldest son was still here.

I refused because these two would kill each other in an unguarded moment if they got the chance and their tempers flared - which happens every 2 minutes and there's no way that I'm bringing that kind of stress into the house.

Oldest son has said that he will be out within the week IF we lend him the money to get the appartment into order for him - around$3000.
(It seems that his wife has been plundering the joint accounts. He refuses to see a lawyer because he still wants to get back with her (TOO STUPID FOR WORDS when you consider the circumstances now!!!!!).
I personally wouldn't have done it but dh has a very soft heart where his kids are concerned.

3rd son is on vacation and because of a mistake in his salary, he has had to borrow money from us AND he will defintely be moving in as soon as our dd moves to London.

4th son is also on vacation and has had his head shaved so that he doesn't have any more problems with the lice.

Our dd is now officially in denial about moving to London for 6 months. She has decided that she doesn't want to go but she has to of course because of her college degree.

We will be going to London tomorrow morning VERY early - first flight out at 7 am - for a few things. Fristly to find her accommodation, to meet her colleagues and to generally get a feel for the place.
She has never been in London before.

So I'm on this evening for a few minutes but things are starting to become a bit much. I hope to come back on here regularly asap.
(((HUGS))))

#61 ·
Brit Bunny am sorry you had a bunny scare as i know they are like family to you. Decrepit Dog was wheezing last night for 1/2 an hr. DD finally made her stand up and did something like heimlich manuver and banged her on the back and lungs. She finally made a grrump hacking noise and was ok. The whole thing reminded me of starting a rusty engine. I told her I cannot afford another $500. vet visit.

Dutchie-sorry there's so much chaos. i often feel like a referee at my own home too. At some point they must lay in the MUCK of their own making but as mom's it is so hard.
Your DD is just nervous. She will settle.
As for the other monky's put them all in a room w/ 2 bananas and close the door so they can fight it out. I know they don't know how lucky they are having such gracious parents.
Sorry about the head lice ordeal. thats about the only one we skipped. It could and does happen to everyone.
Have yourself a glas of wine and stop by for a vent anyday. Cheers?

My DD was dumped by her BF and is giving me a hard time. Plus she is shut down a bit. She still hasn't tested for her license and her permit is expired even though I have paid for 6 mo. ins. she has not driven. I am still driving her to college. She is 20.
She hasn't checked out her books at the bookstore for Sept. and we need to find them on line. She has only saved $150. for 3 classes yet insists she can take 1/2 her paycheck for play. I made her get a checking acct. and ATM card and had to insist we go pick up her checks. She won't clean her room and is spreading junk all over several rooms of my house. I wish she was away at college but I know her grades aren't good enough. Sometimes,I wish she would just leave and find out the hard way. I am just frustrated.
Took DS out driving and he informed me not to give him instruction and laughed at me and ingnored all I said-like using turn signals! He said he didn't want to drive w/me again. I said that was a given.
Glad I only have 2. DH will have to teach the driving. I quit.

#62 ·
So, a fun week all round then.

Wow wow and wow!

Dutchie - I'm sure DD will settle down once she's seen London for herself and things are a bit more certain. It's only natural her confidence would be knocked a little after the bike accident. Hope you have an enjoyable and productive time while you're over here and that it gives you a little break from all the other stuff. Your head must be spinning at the minute, goodness.

My bunnies are like part of the family, thankfully Bundy is back to normal now and all is well. In fact I am being glared at as we speak... I think it must be the smell of my smoothie, lol.

#63 ·
Just a quickie from London.
We had to buy temporary internet because of the accommodation problem and it IS becoming a problem.
We had brought a laptop with us.

The first place we went to see, well I wouldn't have put my chickens in it - honestly, it was filthy and it was a flat-share with 1 middle eastern guy. AND it was 500 pounds a month. RIDICULOUS!!!!!
NEVER EVER would she be staying there. Nothing against the guy, he was extremely nice.

I had asked for something NICE, clean, safe and reasonably near her work with the possibility of sharing with a FEMALE or maybe two.
How the hell did they translate that into something filthy and sharing with a guy?

The second place where we had to go, at Shadwell tube, the guy who was to show us didn't turn up. We called and called and his phone constantly went to voice mail. URG!!!!!!! After 45 minutes we went back to the hotel.

I will be calling the agents (of todays viewings) tomorrow morning - you will probably hear me across the world.

However tomorrow we have 2 appointments, one with another agent and one that I found myself and have arranged with the landlady personally. She sounded nice but I'm getting jaded regarding how someone sounds on the phone.
This second agent will be meeting us at a subway and taking us to a couple of viewings. The few that I saw of hers on internet were beautiful but they are all gone (she says - again I am becoming jaded).

A couple of good things that have happened by coming here is that Fiori has decided that she LOVES London so that problem is probably solved, now just to find somewhere suitable for her to live but the clock is ticking. She is a little nervous about meeting her supervisor tomorrow morning for the first time.
However the gamble that I took regarding booking the hotel next to her office so that she could get a feel for the area really paid off. It is a beautiful part of London and the view from our hotel is to die for. Our room literally looks out onto the Tower Bridge.
Fiori loves it.

We have been getting a few text messages from our oldest son, he has been to IKEA to get the stuff for his appartment. He texted - NEVER go to IKEA on a Sunday LOL.

The other good thing is that I am away from the stress at home. As my mum always says, a change is a good as a rest and even though I am certainly a few inches shorter because of all the walking that we did today, it was worth it.
Fiori's face when she saw the size of the Primark store on Oxford Street was priceless.
'Hey Mum, they have Zara, Mango and Gap here too, (plus 100's of other high street names of course) - this is a great city.'
She also liked the fact that the stores were huge.

Have to sign off - hope to talk soon and catch up with everyone.
(((HUGS))))

Reactions: pollypurebred39
#64 ·
Hi Dutchie,

Glad Fiori likes London (each to their own, lol). I think if she didn't like the look of the shops on Oxford St then she wouldn't be impressed with shops anywhere! Sadly I am not surprised in the slightest at the experiences you've had with flathunting, some landlords are awful and some estate agents just apply a scattergun approach and hope you'll accept what you're offered. Hope today is more fruitful.

Sounds like your son has learned a very valuable lesson as far as Ikea is concerned too, it's a mistake you only make once!

#65 ·
Well we found a room for Fiori but of course it had nothing to do with the appointments already planned.

I applied the old rule - tell everyone who is willing to hear it what you are looking for and sooner or later you will get an idea fr the people who listen.
Because we had to rely partly on taxis, I kept talking with the taxi drivers and telling them what we had been experiencing.

One thing they all had in common - it is VERY VERY difficult to find something suitable.
One thing that I also learned is that - if something comes on the market - you have to go RIGHT AWAY.
Also they told me that the one room that I had seen that was so filthy was in a neighborhood that was quite dangerous and was near a homeless/junkie refuge (within 100 yards).

The address that we had been given for Tuesday was in a very dodgy part of town and Fiori would be sharing with a Polish couple and a young polish girl. It was OK - but that is the best that I can say.
The next appointment at 2 pm didn't show up - what a shocker.

By now I was getting depressed and desperate. Fiori was getting quieter and quieter.

One of the things that I kept hearing from the taxi drivers was to have a look south of the river in Greenwich because there is a large student population there and there was maybe more chance of getting something reasonable in a safe area.
Well after we got back to the hotel I looked on 'gumtree' and typed in Greenwich.
To cut a VERY long story short, an accommodation from a couple of hours before came up - it looked OK - I emailed - we made an appointment - we met the landlord/owner - we looked - it was good (VERY EXPENSIVE but good) and we took it then and there.

After this we went out for dinner to celebrate.
We were SOOOOO relieved.
There is one HUGE advantage to this room. It is within walking distance of dh's office in Greenwich so if there's any problem she can always go to the office and someone can help her.

Today we went to Harrod's to show Fiori around before we went to the airport. She loved it but did realise that it was out of her price range (thank goodness).

We are now back home (THANK GOODNESS), VERY tired and at least a couple of inches shorter because of all the walking we did but very relieved that things worked out OK.

Now we have to get the rest sorted out - Oyster card/GP/dentist plus a few other things and book our journey there for the end of the month when she goes for 6 months.

OMG I am tired - not only in body but in mind.

It's starting to hit me that she will be gone in a couple of weeks.

#67 ·
Yes, it is.
She is literally across the road from the uni and she can even see the Thames and the Trafalgar pub from her window (the pub is on the river and is within crawling distance from her front door).

We are so relieved that we have the room here especially since Greenwich has a small town atmosphere about it.
Yes we really hit gold with this one.
Even her landlord is really nice.

Now to get the finances sorted out and the trip planned when she leaves for 6 months. URG!!!.
She will be leaving on Aug. 27th or 28th :)sigh:)

#68 ·
It is a perfect mix really isn't it. Has the feel and facilities of a nice town but is within easy reach of anything she might need. I hope she enjoys it. It's so close now, exciting, scary and sad all at the same time for you I would guess. Really good news about the proximity to DH's London office too, what a stroke of luck.

Maybe after all the excitement you can have a couple of nice normal weeks with no dentistry or domestic stuff - fingers crossed!

I am currently hiding from a salesman. Bundy was ill again yesterday and a guy came to the door, he was very pushy and normally I would just ask them to leave but he wouldn't take no for an answer. I was in the middle of trying to syringe feed Bund so I just said for him to come today in order to get rid of him. Of course after the fact DH suggested that I just tell everyone that the house is rented and they'll leave me alone!

Ah well, if that's all I have to worry about I'm a lucky girl indeed.

#69 · (Edited)
Just checking in to say HI!

I hope that everyone is doing well and is leading a less chaotic life than we are.

Friday is D-DAY! On Friday morning (Aug. 27th) Fiori and I will be leaving for London with I think as much luggage as someone else would need for a year long trip around the world. We have already warned her that anything above 2 x 20 kgs is not going (AAAGH!!!) firstly because I refuse to pay excess baggage and secondly, her room in Greenwich isn't all that big and she still has to be able to move and sleep in it LOL.

We had a send-off party on Sat. for her with a lot of her friends, some neighbors and some of our family (don't get me started on the family - no really, I am still reeling from some of the stuff that happened and was said - thankfully Fiori only experienced/heard a little of it).

In all, about 40 folks were there. We had one of only 2 dry and warm days in the entire week for the party/BBQ so we were delighted and relieved.
It was a really great day in spite of everything and was only supposed to last 3 hours (on the invite 3 - 6) but lasted till 11 pm when I finally told the last 10 guests (all friends of Fiori) that it was time to leave. Dh and I were like 2 zombies on the chairs inside and desperately needed to go to bed.

The situation between our 2 oldest sons is getting worse and both dh and I have just about had it with them both. It is really starting to take it's toll on us.
2nd son is still living with us at the moment but as per Sept. 1st he will get the key to a new appartment.

The only things after that are that I have to go to a conference with dh from Sept. 12 till 16th and that I start teaching again as per Sept. 20th. So around that time our lives should start to quieten down (or is that asking for trouble by saying it).

A some point after the 3rd week in Sept. I hope to come back to the forums on a more regular basis.

On top of everything else Aug. is a complete amd utter washout regarding our budget.
Our finances are in crisis because of the trips to London which are turning out to be much more expensive than bugetted.
Of course Murphy decided to turn up. Our washing machine broke down on Friday evening.
The guy comes tomorrow to hopefully fix it - another load of €'s gone of course.
I also therefore now have a HUGE backlog of laundry to get done before Friday.
Also of course her room in London is more expensive than ever imagined and budgetted.
Hope to get things written down and sorted out begin Sept.
Please wish me luck.

(((HUGS))))
Avril

#70 ·
So much family stuff going on still, poor you. don't you just wish some people would close their mouths and just keep things to themselves? It sounds like you host a mean party though if people stayed for an additional 5 hours and then you had to kick them out!

Hopefully things will start to settle down next month and you'll just be full of stories of how wonderful London is (fingers crossed).

Things here are ok, I must confess I am not my normal cheerful self, but I'm not quite sure why. I just feel a bit unsettled and it has thrown my whole routine out. I haven't exercised for weeks, my eating is all over the place, the house isn't quite as beautiful as usual and I have no desire to do anything about any of it. Oh the drama :)

#71 ·
Things here are ok, I must confess I am not my normal cheerful self, but I'm not quite sure why. I just feel a bit unsettled and it has thrown my whole routine out. I haven't exercised for weeks, my eating is all over the place, the house isn't quite as beautiful as usual and I have no desire to do anything about any of it. Oh the drama :)
You know you have described exactly how I feel and I must add, a lot of people around me too. Nothing you can put your finger on, just BLEHHH!! I thought that it had to do with Fiori leaving on Friday but a lot of folks who I have been speaking to are saying the same thing.
Maybe it's the weather.
Even our 3rd son came in this evening and complained and he NEVER complains.

Well the guy came yesterday and repaired the washing machine. He tried to explain to me what was wrong but it went in one ear and didn't stick before it left the other ear. Anyway it cost € 100.
What happened today - YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE.
I did a load of washing, put it in the dryer and went downstairs.
After about 15 miutes I started to hear a horrible noise but that is normal for around here at the moment because a couple of houses are been renovated. However after a while I took a look upstairs and discovered that my dryer was making the noise and the floor of the utility room was flooded.
To cut a long story short, the holder for the water was empty and the machine had been draining the water (full of dryer lint) onto the floor. Yuck!!!
I called the repair guy but he was out and he will call me back tomorrow. Of course I already had a backlog of laundry because of the broken washing machine. So now I have been washing everything and just hanging it up everywhere - thank goodness I hardly ever throw stuff out so I do have enough racks to hang up the clothes.

MURPHY GO AWAY!!!!!!

#72 ·
Oh my, not pleasant at all. Have you ever seen the movie "The Closet"? Whenever I have a bad period and then you think things can't get any worse but they do I think of one scene. The guy is sat in his flat, having a rubbish time, the news on the radio is really depressing and then to add insult to injury his toast pops up out of the toaster and falls out of the window. That's when you know you're having a bad day.

Yesterday I took action to get myself out of my funk. We got up nice and early and then when DH went to work I took myself off to the town. I went for a walk on the prom, did the weekly shopping and then signed up to volunteer at a charity shop! I start this afternoon. So I feel much better. I just hope it's as much fun as the last shop I worked out, this place seems a bit more structured but hopefully it'll be ok.

Hope your day picks up and the repair guy sorts your machine out once and for all.

#73 ·
Brit Bunny-good for you. Nothing to get you out of a funk like doing something good for others.

Been a busy couple of weeks. Cashed in our whole life policy and paid off all our commercial debt-wooot!! Can finally start building a savings cushion.
Also DH is in Bermuda Is. for his last trip before he starts a new,more stable section of the company. Unfortunately, a hurricane is heading in just as he is scheduled to come home. Yikes.
DD has finished her exams this week and has announced she will finish next semester and quit to become a nail tech. All that money wasted.sigh.
Heading out this morning looking for garage sales (tag sales). DS wants a computer chair but he also needs to take the arm off to play guitar so not buying a new one. Mostly, i like to chat and shop.lol

Dutchie- sorry to hear of your washing troubles. Our washing doesn't second rinse. So I have to do it manually and the dishwasher well hardly worth using. Hopefully,a new one soon.
Have a lovely day all.

#74 ·
Congratulations with the debt freedom! It's a great feeling. Hope your DH gets home without any drama. Do you think there's any chance your DD will change her mind back again once the stress of exams has lessened any? Have fun at the sales, we don't really have them around here which is a shame, it would be fun to poke around.

Well, I am just back from my first afternoon at the charity shop. I was told off for being unsuitably dressed! I couldn't believe it. I don't work on the shop floor, just upstairs doing the dirty work so never seen by customers. But it is not appropriate for me to wear jeans or trainers, I have to wear "proper" trousers and shoes. I can't believe it's going to cost me money to volunteer there.

And I didn't have a particularly good time, but I'm trying to remind myself that I felt the same way at my previous shop and hopefully it'll get better... Ho hum

#75 ·
Well, I am just back from my first afternoon at the charity shop. I was told off for being unsuitably dressed! I couldn't believe it. I don't work on the shop floor, just upstairs doing the dirty work so never seen by customers. But it is not appropriate for me to wear jeans or trainers, I have to wear "proper" trousers and shoes. I can't believe it's going to cost me money to volunteer there.

And I didn't have a particularly good time, but I'm trying to remind myself that I felt the same way at my previous shop and hopefully it'll get better... Ho hum

I hope that things get better quickly for you and that you start to really enjoy it soon.

I am now back in Holland and I have to admit that after we left Fiori at the DLR station yesterday (Sunday) afternoon at 2 pm UK time, I cried non-stop till I went to bed last night at 10 pm CET. I looked and felt a mess.
I managed to keep myself together reasonably well till we left her.
(Believe it or not I am crying again while writing this.)

I feel so stupid because it's not as if she is at the end of the world - she is only in London for heaven's sake and will be home in 6 months, but still.
She is my only daughter and we have always had a special bond.

A lot has to do with the room/appartment that we have left her in. When we were there to view it, they had probably cleaned the place up a bit and the whole appartment had been full of stuff including her room. Now the whole appartment was filthy, smelly and horrible. Now that her room was empty except for the bed and a wardrobe, we could see that her room was disgusting.

The owner had promised us various things and he hasn't done any of them. There isn't a lock on her door. The landlord and his wife still live there but will be leaving on Sept. 11th (or so he says). He has also said that she will have a tv by the time that they leave and that a desk would be in her room by last Sat. (28th). You've guessed it - it isn't.

While we were there in the middle of the day he (in a - once white - bathrobe) 'cleaned' the room by taking a broom around the skirting board and floor and then pushing a wet squeezy mop over the floor.

He had wetted the mop by putting it in the dirty dishwater filled with the remnants of the congealed breakfast eggs that they had eaten. EEEEUUUWWW!!!!

As soon as we could, I got some some dettol (all sorts for cleaning) and got stuck in.
When we finally left the house knowing that we wouldn't see him for a while he said, don't worry, I'll look after her, firstly my neck hairs went up (not a good sign with me) and then I told him that he'd better look after her.
We have let him know that dh's office is literally around the corner where all of his colleagues work.

One of the hardest things I have ever done in my life is leave her. She begged us to take her back with us but she knows that she has to do this for her degree course.
Of course things will get better (at least that is what I keep telling myself - only problem is that I don't believe me).

There is one small thing that may turn out to be nice for her.
About 2 months before she left for London she had a really nice boyfriend and they got on really well but they were both a little afraid of the long distance relationship and if they could do it. So they mutually agreed to put things off for a while at least till she came back from London. They dated on and off but they kept it low key.

The boyfriend had finished his degree and had had a job offer at a really good company but he still had to pass his driving licence (needed for the job).
He has been here a few times and Fiori's brothers actually quite liked him (a miracle in itself).

Well it seems that he has been sent to the UK to work. He was allowed to choose the place. He chose London.
He has a VERY good job. He is living in the Hilton (Park Lane?) and is flown home at weekends. He'll be there for around 3 months.
This maybe a nice little pick me up for Fiori.

One of the funny things that happened (yes there were a couple of them) - Dh is also very protective of his only daughter especially where boys and boyfriends are concerned and Fiori had been teasing him about maybe letting Colin (the boyfriend) stayover instead of letting him fly home at weekends.
Dh didn't find it amusing at the time when he first heard it.
However, on the way to the airport, he said, ah maybe things won't be too bad for her, she always has Colin. (This is a HUGE thing for him to say.)

So please bear with me for now, I am feeling a little sorry for myself:weeping:.

#76 ·
Well looks like I missed a bit.
Congrats to you regarding your DD. Hope she adjusts quickly. Seems once they start kindergarten we are always crying and giving them away. daddy's always struggle w/ the new guy. Glad she has a BF to stay around to make her feel better.
Yes,DH got back ok but left again Sun. so I am now concerned about Hurricane Earl which will hit cataegory 4 Thurs. Always something.
On a brighter note-have now lost 26#. Can't wait to hit 30# before winter.

BB-thanks regarding the debt. It has been a long journey after his accident (6 years). I have actually been out of sorts too. W/ fall coming on and also having to reboot how our money works. Hope your mood breaks soon too. Off to gab on the phone w/ mom to see if their car has been fixed. And to brag about the weight of course.lol.

#77 ·
Many many congratuations on the weight loss. That is quite an achievement. You should feel very proud of yourself.

I understand your concern about the hurricane, it would scare me too. We flew back in the remnants of a storm yesterday and since I am not a great flyer it didn't do anything to help how I felt.

(Now I lie, I HATE flying and am petrified of doing it - it is a necessary evil for me).

You know it is going to be a bumpy ride when the pilot announces that there is a lot of 'gusty' wind. (I believe that that is their term for gale force LOL.)

#78 ·
Dutchie-your going to make me eat the 25# back if you don't stop.lol DH said his landing was a bouncer this time too. I juust hope Earl doesn't go south where it hits Atlanta-where he lands.

And thank you regarding the weight loss. It's only been since May but I am so impatient. I am definately an Amer. in that respect.(now,now). I just thought w/ all the changes it would fall off (delusional). But another 50# won't make me look stricken.sigh. I am reversing 15 years in respect so I will work on the patience. Or try.

#79 ·
Mia - bb - where are you???

Haven't seen you on here for a while.
I hope that you are OK.
(((HUGS))))

#80 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm still here! Hope everything is ok, no more dramas. Hope Fiori is settling in ok. Congratulations frugalwarrior on the weightloss, I lost 42lbs with the help of people here a few years back, Ikwym about being impatient, but your weightloss is impressive!

This week has been a bit of an odd one. I decided not to return to the charity shop and feel very happy about that. I will be going to help tidy the sand dunes and beach on Sunday though so hopefully that will be more enjoyable.

It was Bank Holiday weekend last week so DH had an extra day off, and came home early on Friday so it was really nice. We did what all good English people do over a holiday weekend - went to the DIY store! We needed some lightshades, ordered some online and they just weren't right (thankfully from John Lewis so they came to collect them). We ended up getting two very nice shades from the DIY shop, exactly right for the rooms, we also got a lamp and a few other things for £20 less than the original two lights, so I was very pleased! The house is coming together quite well now. I managed to jiggle a few things around to accessorise the spare bedrooms, washed the curtains and am making do with them for this winter. Now everything is in its place and washed it doesn't look too bad. And for no spend I really can't argue.

We did get out of the house for a while though, don't fret! On Monday we walked right up the beach to Blackpool, the tide was out so it was easy to walk right up to the Pleasure Beach. We walked along the prom for a bit, visited south pier and watched some crazy people on this sling shot thing that swings out over the sea and another that catapults 200 feet into the air - ON A WOODEN PIER - ARE THEY MAD?!?! We then went through Coral Island arcade (I'd never been in there before, it was an assault on the senses) and had some lunch at a nice cafe near DH's office. Then we walked back, had a coffee and then collapsed at home. I think it was about 12 miles or so in total.

We are going to Blackpool this evening as it is the illuminations switch on. We're not going to the main thing as it's ticket only but there is a big screen at St Chad's headland so we'll be able to see everything from there. We drove through on... Wednesday and they were running the final tests on the lights so we had a sneak preview, they look really good! Robbie Williams (if you know him?) is doing the switch on so it's sure to pull a big crowd.

We plan to do the lot this evening - chips, candyfloss, ice cream, arcades etc. Plus there is an England match on the tv so I should imagine the pubs will be full (aren't they always?)

Other than that I have just been really a home bunny, getting the house ready for the winter, which I believe is going to be another bad one. Obviously we've not had a winter here so I'm insulating where it needs it and making sure we're prepared.

We did have a couple of other milestones this week, on Wednesday it was the first anniversary of DH working in his current job, and yesterday it was the second anniversary of us owning our car. Not usually a big deal but we saved up for 2 years to buy our car so I'm very proud of us, i cost £11,000 which is lots of nights in and staying out of the shops, I'm glad it was worth it. But hey, who doesn't love a Volvo?

#81 ·
I am so glad to hear that you are ok.

Funny you mention Blackpool. There has been a season of various things about Blackpool on BBC 3 (or was it 4). I have been watching or recording some of it.

Fiori is having some trouble settling in. We have been skyping every evening and we usually have to cheer her up. I know that every beginning is tough so I hope that within a couple of weeks she should be ok.

I did have to laugh at one of her text messages though.
She texted - 'I have worked 1/2 day, NOW can I come home?'.

I am glad that we were there last weekend to help her settle in (as far as possible). Dh has to be in Greenwich on Monday so he is going this Sunday too so that he can spend some time with her.
When we were there we walked around a lot helping her get the lay- out of the place which seems to have helped. She just now has to get used to everything and I am sure that she'll be fine.

Aren't the lights being turned on very early this year. If my memory serves me well, didn't it used to be the last weekend in Sept.
Have fun!

Better get going here - still got a LOAD to get done.

Have a great weekend everyone!!

#82 ·
Hi,

Awww, it's a shame it's taking a little while, but it's understandable that it would be so overwhelming. It's not often that someone moves house and starts a new job without anyone they know around them. Isn't the internet wonderful though - can you imagine how hard it would be without it?

I saw a couple of the shows about Blackpool on BBC 4, so far we've watched the Arena with all the different people and clips of the Conservative conference etc and also the show with the the old film footage. It was pretty cool. We have a couple of the other shows to watch yet.

I haven't been to the illuminations since I was a teeny tiny person so can't remember it at all. Not sure whether this year is early or not but they go on til November so it is a pretty long time, maybe they need to bring some extra cash in this year or something.

anyway, I'll post some pictures up if I manage to get any good ones. Have a good weekend, speak soon.

#83 ·
How was the turning on of the illuminations?
Did you make any photos?
I had to think of you that evening.
I asked dh about the turning on - regarding the date - but he thought that it had always been early in Sept.
Not really all that important.

Fiori seems to be settling in quite well now.
One of the flat mates has arrived (a Finnish girl) and they hit it off immediately and became instant friends.

Ton (dh) was there last Sun and Monday since he had to work there on Monday but she was quite upset when he left and it took a couple of days for her to settle again.
This really throws my plans a LOT.
Why you may ask.

It's my birthday in 10 days and instead of celebrating (most Dutch folks celebrate their birthday with a party) I had decided to ask instead that Fiori come back here for a weekend.

Now I have decided that considering how she is, it would be so unkind of me to want this. To be quite honest I don't think I'd get her back to London after a weekend at home.

Ton has to be back in London on Monday 18th (I think it's the 18th but in any case the Mon. around that date) and has proposed that we go together and make a weekend out of it but once again I don't know if it will unsettle her too much.
It will be her birthday on Nov. 30th and I was thinking of maybe going there the weekend before (Nov. 30th is a Tuesday) or maybe getting her here for that weekend, but once again, I am really not sure what the right thing to do is.

On top of everything I am slightly temporaily handicapped. I have sprained a ligament in my shoulder. A physical therapist is treating it very carefully but it is very painful. I never realised how much a person uses their shoulder.:pdoff:

#84 ·
Oh my goodness, poor you. I injured my shoulder last year and it is very painful and very frustrating. As you say you use your shoulders for so much.

I'm glad to hear Fiori has a nice flatmate and new friend, you must be relieved about that. Hmmm, it is a tough decision about your birthday though. It would be fabulous for you to see each other and I'm sure it would be a big boost for both of you, but parting is such sweet sorrow as they say. November 30th is still a little way away so you never know how much more used to being in London Fiori will be by then - a trip home could be a nice treat and the thought of returning to England might not be as bad as it may be right now (if that makes sense). Your birthday sounds like one of those occasions where you may feel whatever you choose has positives and negatives, it's going to be a little different that's for sure.

Sorry, I've probably made you feel worse, not my intention at all.

And at the other end of the spectrum, yes, I do have some pictures from the switch on. It was very busy so I couldn't stop to take many. We're hoping to go through on the tram one weekday evening, probably next month so I should be able to get some better photos then (I also don't have a camera, only my mobile phone). I'll put them into an album here so you can have a peek.

The switch on was great, we watched the concert on a big screen near the beach., It was so nice as the tide was going out and lots of people and dogs were playing on the beach, some with kites, lots with these glow in the dark toys and things. All the acts were pretty good - not really my kind of thing, but very entertaining nonetheless. We walked there and back, about 7 miles in total so it was a very pleasant Friday night. We also visited South Pier and played on the 2p arcades which was lots of fun - I won 30p *yay*

Have a good weekend and I hope your shoulder doesn't cause too much discomfort.

#86 ·
I LOVED the photos!!

Yes, you are right - no matter what I do for my birthday, it will definitely be different.

I have to go - even though it is POURING RAIN - again - I have to get some grocery shopping done.
I do some every day at the moment instead of a huge amount in one go - can't carry them all because of my stupid shoulder.

Have a great weekend.

#87 ·
Dutchie-best wishes on the chaos. Hope your shoulder heal well and FAST. It is making my mothering center go off When you talk about Fiori being unhappy. Explain to her how very lucky she is thou. Tell her there's an Amer. here who is very jealous.lol.

Brit Bunny-Super congrats on the weight loss. I am stalled currently (but I know why). I have so much more to go but I am not giving in yet. I just took a small hiatus last week for Labor Day thats all.lol

Well DH is done w/ this section of work and shouldn't have to go to Bermuda Is. anymore (boo hoo-NOT!!). He is growing impatient w/ all the paperwork for the next section because he is excited to start. He is bored and focusing on the house and us to "fix" Help,I say Help. We love him busy.

DD has quit university and started manicure school. I am trying to love it like she does. Ds has started senior year. And the house is empty. Hoorah. Time for myself and to put things back in order.I will miss them soon enough.
Everyone please take care. Gotta run.

#88 ·
Regarding Fiori - this is exactly what I have been doing - telling her how lucky she is and how many people in the world would give their right arm to change places with her.
Also regarding her work/study placement - I have been telling her that she has to make a go of it and make the most of it. If she has nothing to do, she should go to her colleagues and ask them if there is anything of their work that she can do for them. Just to be pro-active. If nothing else the time will go quicker if she keeps busy.

She is starting to settle in that's why I am a bit wary of going to see her or letting her come here for a weekend. I forgot to mention that the date that Ton has to go is Oct. (+/- 18) so it is a little while away so we can always book it in a couple of weeks.

This Sunday I will be going to Zurich and staying there till Thursday evening. Ton has a conference there and I can go along. Most of the partners of the delegates will be there too. It should be nice to see everyone again. It is a yearly thing (held in a different city each year) and there will be people there from all over the world.

I'll try and get on line when I'm there since Ton will be bringing his laptop along but he'll be needing it for part of the time.

So have a great weekend everyone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.