Frugal Village Forums banner

Fancy a Natter?

Tags
fancy natter
19K views 328 replies 11 participants last post by  britbunny 
#1 ·
Hi everyone and anyone,

How are things in your world at the minute?

Things are generally good with me, there is still some uncertainty about DH's job - but his boss has been discussing some long term projects with him so it points to his job being safe but you never know. I'm also looking for a job, but at the minute I'm looking for something I want to do rather than just any old job, but obviously there's not all that much about just now.

But other than work everything is brilliant. We all love the new house and the new area, getting out and about lots. Plus we have the bonus of quince and blackberry bushes in the garden *yum yum*

#171 ·
Morning everyone!
Yesterday was one of those days that I just couldn't get warm. It was also one of those days that we got just about every kind of weather thrown at us.
In the morning we saw the sun for a (it seemed) couple of minutes, then it became cloudy and a bit misty, then it started to snow and became windy and then near to the evening it started to bucket down.
Thankfully when I was out and about it was dry (had my last day of teaching yesterday for 3 weeks - yeah!!).

However we had a wedding reception to go to yesterday evening and believe me if dh had said - let's not go - I would have been delighted. However it was one of those things where we couldn't not go. A colleague of dh's was getting married and since dh is his boss, we had to go.
I grumbled inwardly thinking I could be in my bed early with 2 hot water bottles BUT when we finally got inside at the reception it was nice and warm. Everyone was complaining about the heat - I was lapping it up. It was great.

The bride was absolutely beautiful - she was like a princess. We had a great evening, chatted to the groom's father and chatted to some of their neighbors who had brought along their 'epilepsy' dog for their son who was also a guest.

This fascinates me. (One of our kids was diagnosed with epilepsy 10 years ago when he was 13 and thankfully - as it appears now - he has grown over it.)
I had heard about these dogs but never come into contact with one. It is a dog that is highly trained to 'feel' when their handler is going to have a seizure.
Amazing!!
It was also great to chat with dh's colleagues - hadn't seen some of them for a while.
So all in all it was great evening.

This morning I woke up quite late (7.30) and even though it is a little misty, when I opened the window in the bedroom I was greeted with a choir of little birds singing their hearts out.
What a great way for the day to begin.
(Can you hear how cheerful I am??)

Have a great day!

#172 ·
The wedding reception sounds lovely. I think it works out that way sometimes - when you think you don't want to go somewhere it turns out to be enjoyable (and warm).

I had to laugh at the "tank style" Volvo. Ours is a teeny tiny one so nothing tank like about it. There are quite a few really old ones about the place here (usually parked in the drive of the super expensive houses) and I love the design of them.

I didn't get up to much yesterday either. The weather was pretty poor, thankfully it's loads nicer today. I might get out and about and go for a stroll along the prom prom prom.

DH and his work colleagues are going to look at the Winter Gardens today. There's a festival of variety and circus on at the minute in Blackpool called "Showzam". At the winter gardens they have an exhibition of old circus and variety acts - palm readers, the bearded lady and that kind of thing. Some of the shows are free too which is good. Last year we went to a show called "La Clique" and it was fantastic. But I guess BPL is a good place to have things like that. They've even put some of the illuminations on in the evening when there's something on at the Pleasure Beach theatre or in the Winter Gardens.

I think tonight we're going to watch Lucrezia Borgia, we recorded it yesterday but DH was too tired to sit through the whole thing then so tonight it is.

Good luck with the rubber chicken KB!

#173 ·
Because of the wedding yesterday we weren't able to get our 'fix' of Criminal Minds (which we absolutely ADORE) but luckily we recorded it and will be watching the episodes this evening.

I'm sure that if I tell dh about the Winter Gardens and what they are doing he'll say that we have to go and visit Blackpool again one of these days (he always says this if I mention something about Blackpool).

Hope you manage to have a stroll along the prom today.
That's one of the things that I miss about living here - the beach.
I used to walk along the beach a lot - with the dog - preferably on a nice day in the winter.

#174 ·
Well, the work is scheduled to finish at the start of July so I'll take lots of photos so you can make up your mind whether it's worth a trip over or not! Even when the prom is done there's still a long way to go regeneration wise but it will be over the hump.

I'd recommend staying somewhere in Lytham St Annes though (well, I would wouldn't I, lol)

#175 ·
Once again I woke up to an overcast sky but the temperature is very mild. Once again the birds were singing. I wonder if the birds have any idea how they make my day.

KB I hope that your headache has gone and that you are feeling better.

Today will be a busy day even though I really don't feel like doing anything. Got to clean the house, do some grocery shopping and some laundry and to be quite honest I think that that is enough.

One of these days I will take a day and do nothing! LOL

Have great day everyone!!!

#176 ·
Evening to you :) Hope you've had a nice day - mine has been busy! I'm feeling tired, but OK as it is the weekend. Today I was lucky enough to go around the town's market and picked up some lovely free-range eggs, but that wasn't the best part of the day. (Yet) Another new charity shop has opened in our high street and it had its grand opening today. I picked up a lovely pair of M&S linen-style trousers in my size for £3.50! Plus, the charity is one which will help a local charity, so I shall be donating my old books and clothes there in future. :)

The headache has thankfully gone, though DH is suffering a bit now - bless him. I made a lovely sweet & sour for tea and there's a bit of the sauce left over ... I think I shall do some kind of vegetable dumplings and lightly fry them once steamed to dip in it. Yum!

It has been a mix of damp and lovely and sunny today - we had more of the former than the latter but never mind. :)

KBxx

#177 ·
Even though it is mild today, it is raining and according to the forecast, it will continue to rain the entire day.

Dh has taken a couple of days off next week (Fri and Mon) and we are going away for a long weekend. We found a 'last minute' at Center Parcs for next weekend. To be great joy of dh it is a) near a golf course and b) the 'parc' itself has a 9 hole 'short golf' course (whatever the h... that is) but he's willing to give it a go (of course). Don't worry about me though there is enough to do for me even if it is only reading a book looking out into the countryside (not much of a hardship LOL).

This Center Parcs is in the south of Holland which is very beautiful with rolling countryside (a bump in the road in our part of Holland is called a hill LOL).

We got a great deal for the bungalow (it's a luxury one) and even with dinner included for the 3 nights that we will be away and a morning delivery of a paper and morning rolls, it was cheaper than the normal price for this bungalow. So we will be able to really get away and relax.
I can hardly wait.

Have great weekend!!

#178 ·
Have a great time, Dutchie! The place sounds lovely. I've never been to a Center Parcs (I must add it to my to do list) as we usually go camping but I have this thing about little cabins and bungalows - I just think they're cute.

The weather is the same here today - rainy and not looking like changing. As always for a Saturday, I have planned a day of cleaning so I can relax and enjoy Sunday. The good thing (for me and DH) is that the World Superbikes start tomorrow from Australia and it is a good sign that summer, or indeed spring, isn't that far away now. I've planned to get the bathroom and kitchen spotless, and to hoover the front room and dust (if there's time). I've got a nice easy tea tonight - tuna pasta bake - which DH has agreed to try. I'll add a fair bit of additional flavour to it so he can't really taste it. ;)

I also plan to do some baking today, in the form of some chewy cookies for the biscuit tin and perhaps some spicy sausage pasties for next week's mealplan. I bought a big chorizo sausage from my local supermarket for a couple of quid (bargain, I thought) and will chop some of it up with onion and additional veg to make into little pasties. :) If not today, then I'll do it Tuesday. Hopefully it'll make enough to freeze some for a later day, too.

And finally, if I can, I want to do some exercise! That's my day planned, my to do list full and my motivation waning ;) Hope you all have a good day.

KB xx

#179 ·
KB - maybe if you have time would you like to reply to the post on the general chat forum about 'those out of the US'. I think it would be interesting to get a lot of info from all over Europe if possible.

I would love to have your recipe for tuna pasta bake. We all love pasta and tuna but I've never found a recipe that we like that combines the two.
Thanks

Reactions: Kitchenbunny
#180 ·
Well, the tuna pasta bake was a bit of a throw together thing in the end, but this is what I used:

enough pasta for however many people
1 tin of tuna steak
half an onion, sliced
a red pepper, sliced
half a bottle of passata
1 clove of garlic
Big pinch of dried herbs
Shake of chilli powder

You cook the pasta as normal. Lightly fry the onion and garlic, add the herbs, peppers, spices and passata and cook while the pasta cooks. Add the tuna, top with grated cheese and either put under the grill or in the oven (a good way to prepare in advance, then warm up in the oven for 20 minutes). :)

As for the thread in the chat forum, I've been having a read of it and will try and come up with an answer. I'm not great at putting our national situation into words (DH usually corrects me on something or other that I've misunderstood) but I'll give it a go. :)

Having a roast chicken dinner today, and it'll mark the start of my rubber chicken experiment. Beyond that I'm hoping for a nice day where I might get out into the garden for a bit!

KB xx

#181 ·
Good luck with the chicken KB.

BB would you like to try your hand as well on the 'those out of the US' thread.
I loved reading the post by the Muse and then went on to read her blog. I have such admiration for her because she definitely doesn't have it easy in Denmark but is certainly making the best of it.
There are some similarities between our 2 countries but a lot of differences as well.

I will certainly be trying the recipe KB.

Our weather has gone from bad to worse.
I don't think it could rain any harder if it could and it has been like that since yesterday afternoon.
Def a day to stay indoors.
However our kids have to play hockey this morning and I don't envy them one little bit.

We got caught up on all our tv series yesterday (did other stuff as well of course) and also watched Rizzoli and Isles yesterday evening - it ended in a cliff hanger - can't wait for next week.
(We'll be away next weekend but we'll program it to be recorded.) The series just started here a few weeks ago and we are hooked. (I just love American detective series - dh loves Miss Marple/Taggert/Midsummer murders etc. I have to admit that I also love Taggert (of course).

So my day won't be very exciting at all because of the weather - I think.

Have a great Sunday!!

#182 ·
Hello,

I have absolutely nothing to report but thought I'd drop by to say hi anyway. Hope you're having a good weekend. It's super sunny and gorgeous here, we had a drive into the Ribble Valley yesterday and it was very very nice. Just relaxing today and if the weather's still nice tomorrow we'll be going to a walk, we haven't decided yet whether it'll be to Blackpool or Lytham though.

#183 ·
Good morning everyone!
For a change it is raining today again - URG!!!!
I have had it with this rain but the forecast has said that it will be getting better later in the week only colder. Well I can take the cold, just not all this rain.
Although it is only 9 am I have done a lot and I want to get even more done today.
Got up, made coffee, had a shower and then we had our 6 month dental check up (at 8 am) and I also have to go to the dental hygienist this afternoon (teeth cleaning etc).
Further, it will be the normal exciting stuff - laundry, cooking, cleaning etc.
Yesterday was a washout is many ways, I really didn't do much except read and watch tv. I didn't even cook just shoved a frozen pizza in the oven. I don't even feel guilty about it.

Have a great day!!

Reactions: britbunny
#184 ·
I'm very glad it's been sunny here for the last week or so but it is pretty cold again. I was freezing when I woke up, looked out of the window and there's quite a frost out there - and all on the morning I have to venture out to get my hair cut!

I hate having my hair cut, which is probably one of the reasons it hasn't happened for 14 months. When we were very skint DH cut my hair for years but he hated it and now says he doesn't care how much it costs but will I please go to the salon! I have no clue whether this salon is any good or not, and I don't know anyone here who can provide suggestions (plus everyone in the street is pretty old so maybe not good in the younger person style stakes). So off I go. I have even thought about it and am taking a picture with me, fingers crossed it's not too bad. My hair is currently just below shoulder length and I'm having it cut really really short - typical me to choose a freezing cold day, lol.

Other than that, still not much doing... we're still trying to save up some cash for a few bits and pieces - mainly so we can finally decorate so we're just at home most of the time. I've recorded more operas from the tv so we'll work our way through them.

And I've been working away on my exercise bike, it's getting easier, but I'm sure the more I exercise the worse I feel, lol.

Hope you're all having a good week. Speak soon.

#185 ·
Hi again britbunny just noticed your post as i don't really get chance to post much i thought i would say hello.Im last in the line in this house when it comes to the computer !!
You made me smile as I really dislike going to the hairdressers too and only go when I am in desperate need usually once every year or so.
I was in Blackpool last week as it was halfterm and couldnt believe all the work they are doing around the tower area ,it's going to be lovely when it's finished.
Hope your hair experience went ok and you get chance to enjoy the sunshine it's a lovely bright day here in Morecambe.
Take care x

#186 ·
DD and BB - you guys are right around the corner from one another.

I absolutely LOVE going to the hairdresser. However it did take me a while to find a good one.

Reactions: Demented Duck
#187 ·
Hi DD and Dutchie,

DD the sun has really come out this afternoon it's gorgeous now! Ikwym about Blackpool, this is absolutely the worst it's going to luck before everything is unveiled. The prom is now shut in both directions which is a real pain for us but we just keep thinking it will be worth it!

The hair cut was fine. The hairdresser was really nice and it was pretty relaxed. She did a good job of my hair too so I will go back.

Enjoy the rest of the day.

#188 ·
Evening all, sorry haven't posted much. It's been an up and down couple of days, and I have to say at the moment I'm feeling a bit down. The sun has been out and I've had a lovely day, so I'm not sure why I feel low. :(

I should be back to posting a bit more regularly and positively in a day or so - these moods don't last long. Take care all.

KB xx

#190 ·
Thank you - boy has it been a busy week this week. Anyway, hoping it'll calm down a bit now. How is everyone? I've spent the weekend so far cooking and getting on top of the cleaning - made some lovely little coconut tarts with raspberry jam in and a lasagne, and have a lamb breast to slow cook today. No cleaning today, I think I'll have a rest. DH is a bit poorly with a migraine so I'll have to keep the noise down - glad I got the hoovering done yesterday!

How is everyone doing?

KB xx

#191 ·
Hi there

KB hope you're feeling a bit better.
This is becoming a very productive weekend for us too.
Yesterday because of the BEAUTIFUL weather (also not cold) I dropped dh off for his golf game and then I got top soil (GREAT price) for the garden, did his parents grocery shopping with them, did my own grocery shopping and was back home with dh and it wasn't even 11 am.
After having coffee outside, dh and I got dug into the garden (no pun intended) and within a few hours, part of the garden was spruced up. We both have broken backs now unfortunately LOL.

Today we hope to do some more of the garden (not too much), dh has some work for the office, I have my teaching class to get sorted out and we will going for drinks to dh's parents.

ALL in all a very productive weekend.

Hope you have a great Sunday.

#192 ·
Good to hear you both sounding chipper!

I am a very excited bunny kitten today as it is the first game of the rugby league season *hooray* so we are off to the very wonderful city of Sheffield. Dh loves Sheffield as he did his Masters there so it's always good to visit. Plus it is a very nice drive as we venture off the motorway once we're past Manchester and drive the scenic route across the top of the Peak District. Not so much fun if the weather is bad but it's not so we'll be grand.

Will speak more next week, but my battery is about to go so have a good day and see you soon!

#193 ·
It has been productive so far today too. I've parcelled up 4 portions of lasagne for the freezer, made the stuffing for the lamb breast using 1 of 5 lemons in the fridge, sliced another of them and open froze for drinks, then the remaining three have been peeled and the juice extracted. I'll use the peel to try and make my own candied peel - can't be that hard. Then I've opened and chopped two mangoes and open frozen the flesh ready for smoothies or summer puds.

I love Sheffield too. It's a nice place and the shopping is pretty good too. Hope you have a good time! Enjoy the rugby too - I shall try and catch a couple of the matches on TV when I can (if any are televised). The motorsport season kicks off soon though so my time of watching sport on TV will be limited as to what DH wants to watch. I do like watching it too...

Dutchie, sounds like you're making good progress in the garden. I recommend a long hot soak in the bath if you can to loosen up your joints a bit. We've been up since 6am so hopefully I can catch a nap this afternoon.

Have a good one!

KB xx

#194 ·
Sorry not to have posted this week but it has been very busy.

BB - how was your trip to Sheffield?

Firstly, this week I HAD (according to Fiori) to get a new phone. My subscription had expired and was allowed to pick out a new phone. Of course it is a smart phone (according to Fiori the only thing to do nowadays - how the he.. it works I have no idea - I'll master it eventually - if I can master an IMac then I can do this too eventually).

So I was there on Tuesday - took hours. On Wednesday I started teaching again and on Thursday I picked up some new chickens AND went to the hairdresser to get my roots touched up. Friday was miserable weather so I cleaned.

The rest of Thursday and a lot of Friday went towards guarding the chicken coop to stop the other chickens (3 white ones) from slaughtering the 2 new brown ones. They have finally begun to tolerate each other. If you are interested I have posted a new album with a couple of pics of the 'ladies'.

Our weather has been beautiful this weekend and if - for once - they get their forecast right, then we should be having good weather for the rest of the week too with temps going up to at least 15 c.

Dh has been busy this weekend in the rest of the garden and it is now finished. The herbs that I sowed last weekend (inside in pots) are already starting to come out - but that has more to do with the southerly window they're in plus some regular water than any skills of mine.

When my teaching course finishes on April 22nd I'l really be getting into sowing seeds for veggies. The mini-greenhouses that we have inside are all ready for them.

So better get going to finish off my prep for next week's class.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

#195 ·
I would love to see pictures of chickens!

How are you getting on with your smartphone?

I, of course, do not have a smartphone - I'm a housewife, what do I need one for? DH has had an android phone for a few years and likes it a lot but I'm hugely underwhelmed by stuff like that (yes, I know I'm in the minority with this).

Sheffield was a great day out, it was very sunny so it was a really nice drive. We went for a wander around the city centre before the game, saw lots of people shouting at Lib Dem types (they were having a conference in the centre of Sheffield). So that was exciting - although not for the police who were all looking exceptionally cheesed off. Oh for the days where the Lib Dems wished they were interesting enough to require £2 million security!

You both sound like you have been nice and busy. I really haven't. I've been getting on with my wallhanging, getting out and about and doing some puttering around the house but nothing substantial. I've been doing lots of exercise but am really bored of food so looking for new and exciting things to cook. That's about it.

Enjoy your week!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.