Food Stamps ... 1 in 11
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Unhappy Food Stamps ... 1 in 11

I was perusing cnn.com and came across this article which sites 1 in 11 Americans on Food Stamps. Granted, they are probably counting all members of a family, but that statistic blew my mind.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/05/06/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes

Dayton Ohio and the Eastern Shore of Virginia
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

From the article:

"The $135 she gets each month lasts two weeks, leaving her dependent on food banks such as Bread for the City."

That amount feeds me for a month or more, and I have plenty of eggs, butter and milk, plus reasonable veggies and a little bit of meat. We could do a lot to educate people about how to cook and eat healthy, economical foods.

But you're right, the statistic or 1 in 11 people really shocks me. People living so close to hunger, it makes for a very unstable situation when food prices go up like they have.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That number doesn't surprise me that much. We live in Illinois and we had trouble for a long time finding jobs that provided health insurance. Finally, I bit the bullet and checked out the state low income plan and we qualified (just barely, but we did). So we signed up and got approved for the state subsidized insurance, and they automatically enrolled us in the food stamp program without even asking us. I had us taken off of it, because, honestly we just didn't need it, we were able to pay for our own groceries. But I imagine alot of people who sign up for other state programs get enrolled and use it wether they need it or not.

I'm always amazed, and don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be critical, but it always amazes me when I am at the store and someone in front of me is using food stamps. More often than not, their cart is filled with junk food, doritos, pop, frozen junk, etc. I don't think some people realize that if they take the time to process and cook their own foods their dollar goes so much farther!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have to call a little BS on the woman in the beginning of the article.

If she qualifies for food stamps she definitely qualifies for WIC. And while WIC doesn't cover ALL the formula, it does provide for most of it. That's if by "milk" she meant formula cuz I hope like heck she's not buying cow's milk for her 4mo old.

WIC even provides baby cereal. And even if they didn't what does a box of rice cereal cost these days? $1-2 tops? And how much does one 15lb baby go through?

She gets $280/month in food stamps PLUS another $65/month federal subsidy and it's not enough for her and a baby? That's almost my entire monthly budget for a family of six people and six animals

And at the risk of sounding like a crunchy mom...that baby shouldn't be on cereal yet anyway

Rather than just blindly increase the food stamp amount, maybe they should educate some of them on smart shopping.

Flame me now lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The problem is you can educate them til the cows come home but you can't make them buy good staples and make them cook it.
    So until the only thing you can buy is flour, sugar, bread, potaotes, and fruit and veggies, meat, etc- they will keep buying junk food and soda.

Many people do not want to take the time to feed their families the good stuff so shove a box of mac and cheese and a couple hotdogs to the kids.
    Not saying all but have seen it even in my own family
    jmho
    To be One With The Universe In Spirit, Mind and Body

BEF $150/ $1000

"Every achiever that I have ever met says, 'My life turned around when I began to believe in me.'"
    ~ Dr. Robert H. Schuller, Minister and Author~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My sis's gf (x-gf not sure at the moment) gets $600 in fs a month for her and 2 los. That doesn't count wic, gov insurance and etc. My sis commented about how they couldn't make it if it wasn't for the $600 in food stamps. What does she think we do? There are 5 of us and dh and I together make less than she does. Plus we have to pay our med bills, they don't. They lied to get approved and I will not do that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was given a tour of the Lazarus House in Lawrence, MA. The nun in charge explained to us that the poor are poor planners. That most don't have planning skills. They go from crisis to crisis in their lives. They don't think I have X dollars and it needs to last me a month, therefore I have $X per week for groceries. Instead they blow what they have at the moment. And worry about it tomorrow. That there was little routine in their lives. This organization would take in a family, make them come up with a realistic plan, and meet with the councellor every single day to discuss what they did that day to work on their plan and what would they be doing tomorrow. For those with little children, they had them in their own nursery school and I was told that for most of them that this was the first time that these kids had a predictible routine in their lives.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, don't even get me started on food stamps! I know my oldest dd gets them and she's even said she can't spend it all in a month, and she buys JUNK!!! Honestly, I wish they would set up the food stamp program like WIC with designated foods only! I'm pretty sure most people can get by without pop, chips, frozen crap food and sugared cereal. Yeah....a real sore spot with me.
    Stinkbug

More wagging - Less barking

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

when i went shopping for groceries with food stamps i did get a few boxed dinner things but most of what i got was like $15 in chicken and ground beef, a head of lettuce, a bag of baby carrots, a bag of spinach, a cucumber, a bag of celery, a bag of apples, milk, bread and a few cans of tuna and veggies. i also got 2 frozen pizzas b/c i knew by the time i got back i would be to tired to cook anything. i spent $122 and then we got ice cream a couple days ago so now its down to $20 some dollars. we will use the rest of it to get milk and cheese and maybe some more meat. we wont have to buy bread anymore b/c i finally got a bread pan yesterday b/c my mom bought it. i might buy another one at the dollar store whenever it isnt raining out. after we can get merrick and jason onto my food stamps card then we might get a bit more meat and stock up more in the canned/boxed stuff for our stockpile but other than that it would definitly be more meat and fresh stuff. so as u can see the $162 a month is just about right for the 3 of us but it might not be for everyone.
    Last edited by karone; 05-06-2008 at 05:55 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok I have to post here because I work for a convience store .. and you wouldn't believe the people using food stamps there...and they are not buying the tuna fish we have on the shelves either... its all pop , candy... chips.. frozen pizzas ect... I mean there are a few that come and buy the dollar sandwiches which aren't bad... for going to work. Or come buy milk... but for the most part its candybars.. pop, chips and frozen pizzas... ughh one guy even comes in a buys ice....and he is one i can't stand... he is on government assistance because he has sleep apnea.. thats what he claims... and doesn't work at all .. lives off his mother in laws social security and what he can get from the government... comes in and tried to beg the left overs from the roller grill from me... and every time he comes in he goes any thing ready to throw out. Even his 4 boys ranging from 17 to 25 come in and try to get as much free as they can .. and only one of them has a job and his own house ...I would give him any left overs..unlike his father who just buggs. me .. he will get free soad pop from the fountian cause i felt bad his wife was sick .. then whip out 10 dollars from his pocket and buy lotto tickets.. umm excuse me!!!!! It just bugs me when people abuse things like that.. when my family qualify for food stamps but i won't take them cause we can buy food without going under!!! I just don't want to take something I don't need yet .. ughh if only they would pay medical bills lol i would be set!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeMom View Post

If she qualifies for food stamps she definitely qualifies for WIC. And while WIC doesn't cover ALL the formula, it does provide for most of it. That's if by "milk" she meant formula cuz I hope like heck she's not buying cow's milk for her 4mo old.

WIC even provides baby cereal. And even if they didn't what does a box of rice cereal cost these days? $1-2 tops? And how much does one 15lb baby go through?

She gets $280/month in food stamps PLUS another $65/month federal subsidy and it's not enough for her and a baby? That's almost my entire monthly budget for a family of six people and six animals

And at the risk of sounding like a crunchy mom...that baby shouldn't be on cereal yet anyway

Rather than just blindly increase the food stamp amount, maybe they should educate some of them on smart shopping.

Flame me now lol.
    I sure as heck ain't going to flame you. You are absolutely right.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't qualify for food stamps because I have "assets" yet my only income is Social Security that puts means at about 50% of the poverty level. I have to rely on the local health clinic and food banks for medical and food needs.

The sad part is I notice more abuse than I do deserving families, so I wonder how many don't get the help they truly need. I drive a 10 year old car and even older clothes and then watch all these "needy" people in their brand new BMW's, Mercedes, SUV's, and trucks, talking on their cell phones as if there is no tomorrow, trying to push their way to the front of the line or get extra services. Makes me want to puke.

And it is going to get worse as prices climb and shortages occur.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeMom View Post

Flame me now lol.
    I am soooo not flaming you! I agree 100% with you. If we can pay 1/2 of what a family is allotted a month by learning good shopping habits, then they can to. DH and I both work full time an hour away from home, but we have a healthy meal on the table every day and spend so much less.

Guess, we can both get flamed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by karone View Post
    when i went shopping for groceries with food stamps i did get a few boxed dinner things but most of what i got was like $15 in chicken and ground beef, a head of lettuce, a bag of baby carrots, a bag of spinach, a cucumber, a bag of celery, a bag of apples, milk, bread and a few cans of tuna and veggies. i also got 2 frozen pizzas b/c i knew by the time i got back i would be to tired to cook anything. i spent $122 and then we got ice cream a couple days ago so now its down to $20 some dollars. we will use the rest of it to get milk and cheese and maybe some more meat. we wont have to buy bread anymore b/c i finally got a bread pan yesterday b/c my mom bought it. i might buy another one at the dollar store whenever it isnt raining out. after we can get merrick and jason onto my food stamps card then we might get a bit more meat and stock up more in the canned/boxed stuff for our stockpile but other than that it would definitly be more meat and fresh stuff. so as u can see the $162 a month is just about right for the 3 of us but it might not be for everyone.

You know how to use your food stamps wisely.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Both of my BIL's are on FS. The one with a family of 5 gets a little over $600 a month and the other who has 1 kid who lives with him 1/2 the time gets around $300.00. The one who has a family of 5 spends alot of his money on beer and cigarettes and still asks him mom for money for diapers every month. The other one doesn't want to work, so he lives with his parents and collects FS. They are both in their mid 30's. They have both been on food stamps for as long as I have known them. DH and I have both worked all of our lives up until last November when I was laid off while on maternity leave. We don't qualify for FS because we have too many assets. So because we both have worked and each have a vehicle an an EF we don't qualify. Doesn't make sense to me.
    Leah
    Married to DH (20 yrs) and mommy to DD(14), DS(12) and DS(6)
    21-
    2-

Debt free except mortgage

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast