How did you make being a SAHM a reality? - Page 2
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think the ladies have all given you good advice.

Good luck!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like you already have a pretty good savings going on there. I do think that you need to go ahead and get your dental and car maint. done now. Then make sure that whatever you spend on that, divide into 12 and set that aside each month in your budget so you know you are taking care of it should you need to again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Stockpile the pantry and the freezer a little. That is the only other thing that wasn't suggested yet. (or was it and I missed it?)
    Beak-1996, Toad-1998, and Q-1998
    House payments left: 0

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The only other thing that I would suggest is do and get the stuff that takes money to do. Lots of things don't take cash - you can make them yourself, or barter with people... but somethings you just have to pay for.... once you're stay at home you can make your own ketchup, knit your own socks.... but you still have to buy lightbulbs for instance.

I became a stay at home with no preparation, and no savings... just debt! it took a little while to adjust.

babs

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am a SAHM, but we are looking at something along the same lines, because dh and I want to move out of the area we currently live in within the next year. Here is our list of things to do.

1. Declutter the house.(Working on)
    2. Pay off credit cards.
    3. Get dh new glasses(DONE)
    4. Get cars repaired if they need it, new brakes, new tires, etc.
    5. Get all dental work done.
    6. Get all physicals up to date.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ScrapMama - it's so fun because your list seems soooo much like mine. DH and I have both seen the optician recently, cost us a fortune... We've had the car repaired, but it still needs tires for both winter and summer use. DH has had his dental work done, mine will be done february 24 th. I also try to declutter the house, so far I've earned about 250 US dollars doing it... Lots of stuff there
    Good luck with your plans!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cecilia!
    How great for you guys, it looks like you are getting things accomplished. We just had the brakes done on our minivan, we're taking in our Suburban before summer starts to get it taken care of. I have decluttered my children's toys and took a huge pile of stuff to Salvation Army yesterday. In the goal to move we are also working to simplify our lives. We've been giving away and selling excess furniture and appliances. I'm hoping to be all done before the baby gets here.

CorneliaBob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Supplementing one income...

What are some things that your family has done (or are doing) to supplement the one income?

What did you use the money for?

I have been selling on ebay, have had garage sales, do surveys and mystery shops.

Last summer my dh mowed our neighbors yard after he regular mower got sick.

We use the money for extras and to help with debt.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Working overtime and doing housekeeping. When I work overtime I can put extra money in my EF and doing the housekeeping helps me not go in my savings. Housekeeping pays for gas and some of my groceries.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We sell craft items and the money is used for extra things we might need or to do some fun things.

We've also had a couple garage sales as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hubby clears our neighbors snow and he & Mark also split the neighbors firewood for him. Mark earns extra $ for himself by helping the same neighbor harvest and haul his wood.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've done several things down through the years. I used to babysit some, have had garage sales, worked at a couple of party plan businesses, had a couple of video stores for a while but what works the very best for me is to work very hard at managing the money that we have coming in at all times.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In the past I have...

*done a certified family child care home (for one year until I had baby #2) I made decent money and had school aged children only so I was enjoying them. We played games and went bowling and on trips

*collected junk that neighbors were throwing out for stuff to sell on ebay or consign at a thrift shop (around the military people are always moving and throwing out lots of good stuff) I still do this. Everyone knows to check with me before tossing anything! Hubby HATES it

*when we lived in GA I would go to an outlet the day they did new markdowns and buy everything that was 95% off to sell on ebay. It usually did really well because it was new with tags stuff. I would peel the markdown off and leave the store tags, and sell at about half of the tag price. Whatever didn't sell (most of it usually did) I would store and list later or yard sale.

*mystery shopping, but the paperwork that needed to be done usually wasn't worth the $ they gave.

*Also when I lived in GA I did actually get quite a bit (average $50 month) from doing surveys. Pinecone was my favorite. Those $3 and $5 checks add up! Since coming overseas we don't qualify for alot of the product tests that I miss so much

Whenever I do something to supplement our income the rule is HALF goes to savings or for a rainy day and we can spend half.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I sell on ebay.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We sell on e-bay (helps with the decluttering goal too!) and my husband substitute teaches at the area schools. I used to give piano lessons when we worked in a Christian school (free use of facilities) but I don't now that we have our 2 girls. I teach my younger brother for free and would like to do more as my girls get older. I also worked part time at Michael's Craft store but my husband can make more in just one day of subbing so I gave that up. We don't want daycare to become necessary and we only have one vehicle, so some of our options are limited.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast