Irritating article in the New York Times
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Irritating article in the New York Times

Now, I read the Times regularly and usually like what they have to say - it's generally quality news. But I really got steamed when I saw this article today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/28/bu...8money.html?hp

It's called "Food Shopping Tips Direct From The Store Manager." Sounds exciting, no? So I start reading it, and the store they've chosen is an upmarket boutique grocery chain for the middle and upper class shopper! A couple of the things they said were sort of useful, but really - telling us how to find the best artisan-quality deals? I suppose it would have been too déclassé to do an article from an Aldi or a Save-a-Lot - even a Kroger's for crying out loud!!! Surely not ALL of their readers are upper-middle-class and upper class folks whose biggest problem with groceries is whether or not their store has a "value guru." Puhleeeeese. I wrote them an email along these lines. Times are changing, so maybe the Times should change with the times. Guess I'm now officially a subhuman. Anyone else?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree, they should have picked a store that was more commonplace.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Even though the author visited an upper scale store, some of what he was saying applies to typical grocery stores. I was in foodlion today and there was a sign that said peaches $2.99 a pound and right next to it was another sign that said eastern peaches 99 cents per pound. I am thinking the first peaches must of traveled farther to be in that store.Where I am at the price of the cheese at $5.99 a pound compares to the prices of deli cheese at superwalmart.
    Challenges

EF $3975.00

debt:
    medical bill $890/$6000

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I love Whole Foods because they do seem to have the freshest produce... but if I had to feed the three of us by only shopping there, we'd starve!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think they should have based it off a Super-Walmart, Kroger or something along those lines... Who has money for fancy foods???
    Kace - married to Dh for 14 years

Always pinchin' pennies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Those types of things crack me up! Tips are tips for some but not others, and I just have to remember that. I was laughing the other day when a friend brought a magazine over to show me an article about cooking/shopping on a budget. She found it intersting (I have been trying to help her shop more efficiently on her budget), and she wanted my opinion! I don't know whose budget they were cooking on, but it wasn't mine!

The meals were $10-$15 each! My nieghbor was shocked, when I explained to her that most of my meals were under $5 each!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Do they even have an Aldi's in NYC?

I think they wrote to the majority demographic of their audience.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm sure they have demographics that tell them who their readership is and that's who they are playing to. There are lots of articles like that around and I just try to take what I can use and leave the rest

Thanks for posting!!!
    Nancy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Some peoples children. They need to get a grip.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It seemed to me that the point was how you can still have some top-quality food and save some bucks on it. Wal-Mart's cheap anyway, you don't need as many "tricks" to spend less there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The bit I loved was that you should buy pre-stuffed peppers to avoid throwing out unused pepper or sausage if you don't get exactly the right amount. These guys ever hear of a freezer? Or making an omelet and sausage for breakfast the next morning? I understand the argument that it is faster and more convenient, but this reasoning was definitely different.

Anyway, I guess if you're going to shop there, you might as well be as frugal as that choice allows. It is a legitimate choice for those who can afford it. It's just not for me and wouldn't align very well with my priorities. Different strokes and all that.
    Donna

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Okay, I couldn't make it to the end of this article. I can't believe this stuff. DH and I just came back from a shopping trip to the Farmer's Market (local produce) and stopped by the health food grocer on the way home. The Farmer's market sold a pint of organic strawberries for $4.50. We were suckers enough to buy them...after all, they're local right? And when we got to the health food grocer we found organic strawberries for $1.98/pint. Now where's this supposed deal for buying local??? I just don't see it. Sorry.

Jean

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Okay.. you're going to hate me I know it already.

I am not familiar with Aldi's, etc. We don't have that here. But I do know that eating cheap, processed, chemicalized food is not an economical thing to do. I suspect that is what Aldi, et al is selling. Again, I do not know for sure.

Why is it uneconomical?
    With cheap, chemicalized, hormone induced, processed, hemogenized food, the body doesn't absorb all the food. You only use about half it's contents.. but manages to keep hold of the chemicals. Slowly over time.. these things WILL make disease. Not cheap diseases either.
    Your body will be calling for more food to feed it's need. It's called hunger, or craving. It's telling you that your body lacks something. You eat more (aka BUY more). More calories to get that nutrient.

Eating high quality foods (that means you're going to pay for it) that are NOT processed, are fresh, and chemical and hormone-free is the MOST economical thing to do.

Why?
    If properly prepared, (i.e. you have not killed all the wonderful enzymes) your body absorbs 100% of the nutrients and nothing else. In the long run... disease is minimized. Because your body absorbed 100% of nutrients - you won't be craving and calling for more food.
    You can live on less food.

TRUST ME ON THIS ONE.

Someday.... I dream that everyone will know this. That everyone will understand this. That everyone will do this.
    And then may I rest in my eternal life as my name lingers in and out of human consciousness like a ribbon waving in the breeze.........

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Apparently this article is not aimed toward the lower and lower middle-class. So?

I don't mean to be snippy, but if you read an article about tennis, would you come back in a huff and gripe about how they should have made it about football since it is the more popular sport?

There's only billions and billions of articles dedicated to the low-income and super frugal. I'm sure you can find something that does suit you.
    ~Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.~

~The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.~