My sister is so snobby!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default My sister is so snobby!!

On Sunday I went to by sister's house and picked up a tote of clothes that she doesn't want for her daughter, my dd and her dd are about 5 months apart in age, but where around the same size.
    Anyway, I was looking through this tote today and found some really cute clothes and such that she didn't want. Keep in mind that she got a good chunk of these clothes from her boyfriends sister, but still they were free.

I called her to see why she was giving me these clothes and she told me that it was because she didn't like them and wouldn't put her dd in them, they were ugly!!!

I just about freaked out on her. Everything I had in that tote was pretty much name brand (Tommy, Gap, Children's Place, etc), so whatever, I'll take the free clothes and put my daughter in them. She can put her dd in the high price clothing and I'll take her freebies!!!

She is only 24 and just bought a house this past year, I am thinking that sooner or later, the money train will run out and she'll be crying to me that she can't buy all this stuff, and to her I will say, should have used all those free clothes and dressed your dd in them.

Anyone else have family members like this????
    Last edited by momof2joys; 09-09-2008 at 07:17 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh, yea! I made sleep pants for my neices last year and then car blankets for the other neice and nephew...no thank you, no nothing...my sister's responses ( I have 2) were: our kids don't really like things that are homemade!!
    SICK SICK SICK
    My one sister, though, always brags about how much her house cost, her car, her clothes, etc...it gets old pretty darn quick! But yet, she buys all kinds of things on clearance throughout the year to give as gifts and then presents you with a list of all the things her kids want (Nintendo games, wii games, etc. )

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yes!! My sister is and always will be very uppity.She also spends money she doesn't have and her children are very snobby.I recently sent her a get well card with some pictures of my new grandson.Well a month later when she called me(we live in different states) I asked her if she liked them and she told me she didn't have the time to look through them yet!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

perhaps your sisters are jealous of you all and your ability to manage your finances and to be frugal and not be ashamed of it.Some folk don't know how not to spend money.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

YES!
    my ENTIRE family judges you based on what you HAVE...

not what you do, who you are, your character... y'know... the REAL stuff!

It's annoying... and what I do... is ignore them.

I'm learnin slowly to just respond "that's so nice for you" or some non-commital answer...

and if they ask me directly (which is rare), I simply state something along the lines of "i'm happy for you that you enjoy such&such so much... but it's not my preference."

good luck

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by JinglebellesMom View Post
    Oh, yea! I made sleep pants for my neices last year and then car blankets for the other neice and nephew...no thank you, no nothing...my sister's responses ( I have 2) were: our kids don't really like things that are homemade!!
    SICK SICK SICK
    :
    So she has money but no manners. Geeesh!
    Mom to Emma, Spencer, Connor, Lily,Fletcher, Amelia and Adeline.

Mortgage $0
    EF 3 mo income barring
    anymore emergencies

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have one aunt that is like that. Only cares about who has what anf how much of it. She's the alien in the family. My mom and other aunt are polar opposites from their snobby sister. She even said she wasnt going to go to her father's 80th birthday party b/c she wouldn't have the money for this flight and another trip that she wanted to go on.
    EF Challenge ($5000): $500
    Change Jar Challenge: $600
    Coupon Challenge: $
    Grocery Budget ($400):

Debt
    CC1 (NY&Co.): 0
    CC2 (Discover): 3083.72
    CC3 (Kohls): 0
    CC4 (Victoria's Secret): 0
    CC5 (Chase): 3755.21
    Student Loan: 4385.53

Updated 7//26/12

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We all have them in our families to some degree. Best to not let them get to you and just live your life. And if they want to give you their handoff's and you like them, take them and enjoy.

We all know who will come out ahead in the end and it won't be them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I take the mind set of live and let live.

there are plenty of people out there like this, I work with a bunch of them, and have more hen one in my family.

I just smile to myself, because I know taht none of this stuff can possibly make them happy, I am also fairly positive that they are missing fundamentals in their life if they need to spend their money like this to make their life better.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by azangie View Post
    We all have them in our families to some degree. Best to not let them get to you and just live your life. And if they want to give you their handoff's and you like them, take them and enjoy.
    We all know who will come out ahead in the end and it won't be them.
    I totally agree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My sister has came down off her high horse quite a bit since getting married. She shops at Name Brand Clothing and buys her kids toys at Goodwill. She still refuses to do the thrift store clothes bit but she's coming around. My BIL is quite frugal. The man has 3 leisure outfits in summer/winter and just washes his clothes more often. The kids have so many clothes they get worn 2-3 times before they outgrow them. What a waste! My sister has an entire walkin closet floor to ceiling filled with clothes. She works retail and has to wear black. It starts looking faded after just a few wearings so she is always buying new stuff. I told her about Rit dye but she won't hear of it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hmmm...must be a "sister" thing?

Christmas before last we got all sorts of neat things for my nieces (good deals, but still...money from a tight budget). We got her several nice things... She's had a rough life (of her own making, but still...trying to be supportive). We were just trying to do something nice.

She gave us a $50 gift card to Walmart in return.

As she was leaving I went up to her and said thank you and was going to give her a hug. She said something along the lines of, "yeah, money...I KNEW you'd like THAT". And walked away...

I stood there slack-jawed. And hurt. We'd gone out of our way to do special things... We hadn't asked for anything in return. And, as usual...money was tight. We could have put the $$ on bills...or spent it on ourselves or others that would appreciate it.

We've never been close. Guess that's what I get for trying to reach out, huh? Needless to say...we stopped trying. We ran into them once near last Christmastime...haven't seen them since then.
    Kace - married to Dh 13 years

Love to

Full-time homemaker, full-time college student. Always pinchin' pennies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have an Aunt and two cousins that are like that. They all have money and think of me as 'the poor' relative. One of these days I figure reality will hit them.

Debbie

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My sister has always made fun of me for buying second hand clothes, stockpiing groceries, not buying name brand...and her biggest put down was that I hang my wash out on a clothes line..she said I wasn't saving any money and I looked like white trash...she will never get what is important in life and I feel sorry for her...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have.

My brother would rather rent a home(value 2.5 million) than buy a modest home in a middle income neighborhood. He has told us he'd gut our house and start over if were his. He's mid 40's and never owned a home. I'm 35, and will have no mortgage befor eI"m 40.

My BIL and SIL are HORRIBLE. They have refinanced their house 4 times in the last 7 years. They buy new and the best all the time. Her CC are maxed out and need home equity loans every couple of years, they bought 3 brand new travel trailers in the last 4 years, 1 new truck and they were looking at a Lexus! Now their ds has told us point blank they have spent his college fund. I remember a few years ago, SIL looked down at me and told us she had no idea how we will afford to put our 4 kids thru college, but THEY had the money to do it....what happened?

I don't worry about them. Their house of cards will eventually crumble. And they will wonder how we did it living on 3/4 of ONE of their incomes. They make 3 to 4 times what we do.

We are sitting fine. We have a solid plan, and will be getting rid of debt hard this year. So next year we can start hammering down the mortgage. We should have that done before our DS14 starts college. Helping the kids will NOT be an issue for us. (note: HELP, not finance them entirely).
    Mommy4ever to 4 wonderful kiddos. Homeschooling mom to 2 youngest.

• BEF: Goal 1 met....
    • CC1 pif - Jan 30
    • cc2 pif - feb 28
    • LOC PIF - Nov 29/13
    • Car(personal loan of 9 days) - PIF Dec 2/13
    • Debt repayment: 100% paid off as of Dec 2/13
    • vacation fund for family vacation goal Dec/14
    • FFEF 0/6 months
    • Retirement savings to start
    • Mortgage

DEBT, n. An ingenious substitute for the chain and whip of the slave driver.
    - Ambrose Bierce

The plan: All debt to be eliminated in 12 months(STILL ON TRACK) Paid in full after 10 months. Dh is the captain of this ship, this time, and we're sailing into the sunset. Who'd have thought, but this has brought us so much closer and stronger.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast