Frugal Village Forums banner

Seeing an increase in gas prices?

2K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  Ms. Clear 
#1 ·
I live in South Carolina and gas prices have climbed over a $1 per gallon. The station I buy from went up $1 in 24 hours. Another gas station in our town went up to $4.99 as of last night. We were paying $3.59 on Thursday morning. Thursday afternoon, the prices went to $3.79 and up to $4.59 by Friday afternoon. Some stations are out of gas.

Where do you live and is the hurricane affecting your gas prices?

darkchocolate

#2 ·
I've heard that the Carolinas & Georgia are getting hit hard. I'm seeing prices all over the place. Last night it was $4.399 at one station, but $3.999 at another. I haven't heard prices today, but seems gas stations can charge what they like until the government steps in. My "plan" is to drive even less... not a great plan, but what else can we do!

#3 ·
It may be just due to the hurricane season hitting the Gulf of Mexico area pretty hard. I think it was like this the year that Katrina, Rita and the other one slammed the area and dismantled quite a few stations.

#4 ·
We are in TN. The grocery store below work was closed by 1 yesterday. All they had that morning on my way to work was premium at 3.759. All the walmarts had cops parked everywhere. Traffic was blocking intersections (major ones) waiting to get in the parking lots.

I called my MIL in NC to see if she still wanted to meet and get Paige for the weekend. We did and although some stations where we meet at were between 4.199 & 4.249 (NC is always more than TN & SC, they part is in the middle of nowhere and always overpriced) they weren't going as nuts at those as they were at all the ones I passed throughout the day Friday around here.

Cops around here were breaking up fights, & directing traffic. people/cars all over the place. IT was total chaos. Think goodness the one I went to before work wasn't packed and the one I topped off at in NC (which is below a resort and always at least 20 cents more everytime I go past it was still only 3.859, so needless to say, eventhough I had only put 100 miles on the car since I filled up I got some there sicne I knew when I got back home places would be skyhigh or closed. 5 stations I know of are closed (some completely and a few left their stores open.)

I ran into the one below my house at 7 last night and he said he had 4000 gallons left. He ordered 12,000 & they told him it might be Wed. or Thursday til they get back with more. I noticed the prices were down so I drove past the pump leaving there and it 4.599, 4.699 & 4.839. I was glad I was on full when I saw that. Funny enough, on my way to work this morning it was $3.99.

#8 ·
What few gas stations that still have gas range from about $4.39-$4.89 a gallon now. What makes it bad is when you live in a small town going without driving is really not an option. Also I go to school 3 days a week and it is 20 miles each way. UGH!

#12 ·
We live outside of Phoenix. Nothing happening here. Gas is running $3.39 to $3.47 with no change over the past few days.

Hopefully now things will start getting better where you all are.

#13 ·
I'm in WV and in a pretty rural area. There are only 5 gas stations within 30 miles of me. 4 of the 5 were totally out of gas as of 4pm. They said stations even farther from us our totally out. The one here with gas was out this morning, got a load in this afternoon and expects to be out again by 7pm. They raised their price .25 in one afternoon! It went from 3.85 to 4.10. In town the three stations were priced at 3.99, 3.99 and 4.39 but didn't even have gas! We filled up our Blazer and it took 64.00 but I was afraid to not do it for fear that we'd not be able to get anymore for a while!

#14 ·
I'm in Louisiana - we're getting the end of Ike right now - it was a toss up whether I would be drowned or blown away walking in to work from my car several hours ago.

I was worried about gas last night. I was running too late to get any on my way in to work in the afternoon. But when I left at 11:00 the station on the corner by the hospital still had gas, wasn't very busy, and was only 3.59. When I last filled up maybe a couple of weeks ago, I think it was 3.53, so it had only gone up a few cents, and that could have happened before yesterday. Today coming in with the driving rain I was watching the road, not the gas signs so I don't know if it's gone up since.

#20 ·
I'm bad about not filling the tank if I have 1/4 also. Lately, we haven't had the money to fill the tank. We put $20 in he other day and went from Empty (Idiot light coming on) to just over 1/2 tank. It has been taking $37 or $38 to fill my 9 gallon tank.

Heck, I remember when I could not even put $20 in (when I first bought the car in 05). Most I could put in was $17 or so.

#21 ·
It went up a dime by me in MA. I did get hubby to fill up when I heard it might spike. I have just over 1/2 a tank, so I didn't get any. I figure I can stretch that another week. That'll be three weeks on this tank!

Hopefully it will go back down to previous levels by then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.