Tivo gurus ... help!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Tivo gurus ... help!

I am seriously considering getting rid of cable. I'm so sick of giving so much of my hard-earned money to Suddenlink cable. Presently, I have the cable box and channels that include the movie tier. I've already cut back on the upper channels (from 200 up--altho I miss it, oh well) I also have 3g cable internet-which I don't want to give up. The way I've justified this for years is that I'm such a homebody it is my entertainment dollars. I never go to the movies and wait for everything to come on tv.
    The problem is I have a tivo and I really love it. I've gotten a lot more out of tv since. It's so nice to work the tv around my schedule and worth it in my opinion.
    Does anyone have a tivo and not cable??? Is this possible without the cable box? I was thinking you had to have it hooked up to a cable box. I have the little thing that updates it thru the computer instead of the phone line. Also I'm curious about using it with the converter box -- I let the ones I received expire but hopefully another one will be coming to my mom's soon.
    And what about the AT&T thing where you can get cable anywhere? I'm not willing to cut back on having fast internet. Does anyone have any good options or scenarios???
    I live in Point Pleasant, WV and have Verizon phone (also thinking about getting rid of that) but wondering about the FIOS they are offering (not in this area yet but was thinking I should hang on for that option--supposed to be faster than cable) I am on a family plan with my mom thru AT&T for my cell, which I rarely use.
    Also, another question--does anyone download and transfer movies to their tivo thru the computer? I downloaded a movie once and it took forever--then I couldn't get it to transfer to the tivo desktop.
    Sorry about the long post--I'm just a klutz with this problem, but something I want to get figured out soon. Having money problems here lately--I'm trying to pare down, but don't want to get rid of everything only to have to pay a lot to get it back later (I know the phone company would do this). Suddenlink told me that the internet would be $35 without the cable.
    TIA to anyone who has any ideas

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The TiVo has tuners built in, but they can only receive what you can get without a cable box. That will be your basic cable only.
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    (Nerd Spender): Loving and extremely patiently tolerated husband of ceashels.
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

contact TIVO. they should be able to help you. They are really helpful people for the most part. AT&T cable in most areas is Dish Network so that would mean satellite internet(very expensive).
    I've never tried the downloading thing, because I have cable everything I can't update my TIVO without getting that update thing you talk about so I can only record when I'm home.

I actually think you can have TIVO without cable(remember Replay TV) I think my sister had it before they had cable in their house.
    Last edited by katholc; 09-18-2008 at 12:10 PM. Reason: add

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

thank you everyone for your replies. i guess i'm just going to have to try it out and see what happens (i just hate unhooking cords, it took forever to get it set up right with a dvd recorder and entertainment system---yes i love watching tv)
    i still may talk to tivo too.
    hope everyone has a great day--thanks again