Free or almost free date night ideas?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question Free or almost free date night ideas?

Hi everyone. It's my turn to plan date night tonight. I'm wondering what might be a good thing to do in fall, with the nights getting colder and it being dark by 7 p.m. I'm thinking something indoors. But i want something that doesn't break the bank.

I'd like to leave the house with DH for a bit. Just not sure where. Library is closed. Could take him to a cafe for $10-12 for tea and dessert. But we've done that a lot lately. I took him to the second run movie theatre a few weeks ago. We had trouble picking a decent movie. We were really disappointed with what was available.

Anything else you can think of for a town that rolls up the sidewalk at 6 p.m.? What do you all do?

Jean
    Last edited by peanut; 09-19-2008 at 08:17 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Do you have kids at home? If not...

Registered User hugxlaughxsmilexlove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I ditto the above, LOL!

We've done floor picnics, candles, rose petals, romance shower and closed doors. You can do a "fancy" meal for two for real real cheap, candles can be cheap ($ store, craft store), same with fake rose petals (and you can use them again and again and again).. everything else is just your imagination.

Or an old movie favorite. Walk in a park somewhere.. dress warm and star gaze.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks. I'll pick something like that in two weeks time. Tonight I broke down and took him to a Vietnamese restaurant. It was $24 for the whole thing. I paid for it from my allowance.

He was pretty happy, but I noticed he reached for the bill with a worried frown on his brow. I hate that. He really doesn't need to worry when I say I'll pay. I mean I will pay.

We had a good time anyway. Mostly I was filling him in on my day. He didn't have much to say about his. I don't think it went very well. He commented he didn't get anything done he wanted to get done. It can be like that at his job.

Jean

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by mn30 View Post
    Do you have kids at home? If not...
    LOL! Well, since our youngest left home in August, this has been pretty much our standard entertainment! I was looking for something a little different...like, in addition to...

Jean

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How about having a bon fire in your back yard and making smores....

Or if you town has a park how about a fall picnic, (you could have fried chicken and other stuff) it would be quiet in the early evening. And you could go for a quiet walk after you finish eating.....

leezza

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by leezza View Post
    How about having a bon fire in your back yard and making smores....

Or if you town has a park how about a fall picnic, (you could have fried chicken and other stuff) it would be quiet in the early evening. And you could go for a quiet walk after you finish eating.....

leezza
    Ooooh! That would be a bit more expensive than planned. We don't have a fire pit...but we could buy one. I bet they're on sale right now!

Now the picnic in the park is a good idea for a night when he doesn't work late. It's dark really early this far north this time of year. The chill comes on by 6 p.m. and the sun is down around 7 or 8 p.m. Temperatures dip rapidly from the 20's to just over zero C. Maybe my next date night will be a Saturday afternoon picnic...

Jean

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

my idea's are a bit like everyone elses. pack a picnic, cozy blanket and star gaze.

Also you can make a pretty nice fire pit out of rocks you find around the yard or even your neighbors yards, and thats free! Or if you live in a developed area, take a drive to a woodsey area and pick up some rocks.

I try to make what I call "fun food" on weekends instead of going out. Things you might have as appetizers. Nacho's, taco's, hot wings, homemade pizza. Rent a movie, throw a blanket down on the floor and you have date night.

Just this past Friday my BF and I made a few drinks, had a fire in the chimnea and sat outside and talked after my son went to bed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Read to each other?

Do you know anyone with horses?

Bath for two?

Does it half to be at night? You could do breakfast in bed.

Camp in your living room?

Take a tour of a factory.

City walking tour.

High school sports. (that's our current fav. $2. for the whole family to get in)

When we lived in N.Y. we would do dessert picnics in the car (because of the cold) so we could see the stars (were from Fl., so we had never seen stars like that).

Skating?

Cook something together and slow dance while doing it then eat it by candle light.

Pick somewhere you guys have always wanted to go. Then go to a book store and see who can find the most unusual info on that place. A neat tourist place in that city.

Or in theme with the bookstore:
    Grab a few books from the humor section and take turns telling jokes to each other.

Play who gets the answer first:
    Record for longest kiss
    World's smallest island
    How many books are there in the store on a certian topic (don't forget the kids section)
    Weirdest book

Play games. Cards, video, computer, board...

Are you allowed to have other people at date night?

A treasure hunt?

Frisbee.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Borrow movies from the library for free.

Your private book club:
    Borrow books from the library; read; discuss.

Drop land line and get Voip phone service and call distant loved ones. (Vonage Canada has gotten cheap. www.Vonage.ca )

12. Similar Threads

1. Cheap Date Night
      By McD in forum Frugal Living
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 03-02-2011, 10:43 PM
    2. frugal date night
      By Sara Noel in forum Relationships
      Replies: 36
      Last Post: 04-11-2009, 09:16 AM
    3. Date night tonight!!!
      By Cricket1 in forum General Chat
      Replies: 20