Experiencing sticker shock hurts.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Experiencing sticker shock hurts.

I had to go to the bank yesterday and we needed to restockpile our coffee. The only place that sells it at a decent price is Safeway, so while we were there we figured we'd pick up a few more things.

Wow, I was astonished. $1.99 for a head of lettuce, $4.19 for a 1.89L of soy milk, and even the coffee was a dollar more expensive a can! I normally spend half of that on the lettuce, $1.39 less on the soy milk at the supermarket I normally go to.

I don't see how people can shop at these places, knowing that there's cheaper places they can go to and get the same items.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sounds like my Kroger store. I only go in there for the loss leaders and to check on the marked down meat and milk.
    Debra
    Married to Michael
    Mom to
    Chassidy 26
    Tanner 21
    Johanna 17

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I went to Walmart and Meijers today, 1 pound box of store brand spaghetti noodles were $1.18 at Walmart and $1.19 at Meijers. I couldn't believe it, it is 'normally' less than 70 cents.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I usually pay $1.50 for a box of whole wheat spaghetti at Walmart. Milk is $1.80 a half gallon. I have found some reasonable prices on the essentials at Walmart lately. Meat really isn't that bad considering the price per serving. Vegetables are a bit pricy so I buy frozen. It's $1 a package for frozen veggies for generic. The Wally World near me has bananas for 18 cents a pound on Thursday so that's when I do my shopping.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Food prices are climbing again here... Canned soups and pastas have shot up considerably just in the last few weeks... We're going to really get focused and eat from our stockpile as much as possible. Also, cutting down to very minimal eating out.
    Kace - married to Dh for 14 years

Always pinchin' pennies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I stay out of supermarkets as much as possible as our too big ones are a major ripoff, i shop at wharehouse type places and f + V stores, dont know how people afford to do a weeks shop at major supermarket
    CC 1 paid in full - 15/06/08
    CC 2 paid in full - 17/06/08
    mortage
    no debt but mortgage
    EF fully funded 7 months of wages!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hate going grocery shopping. With my health issues and this pregnancy I have to be careful what I buy. Things are just going UP UP UP. We are out of $ until Friday and we are almost out of Milk and eggs and a few other things. I have a WIC appointment on Wed and that will help LOTS. We also buy frozen veggies more often now because they are cheaper than the fresh. It's just getting harder to feed the family for a reasonable price. If I could eat JUNK, then it would be cheaper. I have to eat healthy for this baby.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The prices at our stores are bouncing around more than the numbers on Wall Street. I need a score card to keep track of where to buy what lately.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i have 3 major supermarkets where i live. i always shop between them all for the loss leaders. have done this forever. i cannot believe with the competition that there are some weeks that even the loss leaders are no deal. my stockpile is starting to shrink. how do you all feel about your loss leaders in your area? are they still reasonable?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

gardenstategirl........ i had to laugh at your comment.......but..... I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!!! LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are seeing it here too. I am bouncing from store to store buying loss leaders. It's tough!
    Frugalista Mama to DD 14 & DS 10
    Crazy Boxer *Sadie*
    **Debt Free Minus the House**

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our grocery prices here seem to be stable with the exception of beef (non ground), that has gone up in the past few weeks. Everything else is holding at the same price or even falling. I noticed the Folgers coffee I used to buy that was a little more than $7 and had sky rocketed to over $11 and stayed that way for months had recently dropped to just above $8. So everyone in the store was grabbing up all of the Folgers coffee.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The loss leaders here seem to be hit or miss. Every other week or so I'll find something to add to the stockpile, then there will be a dry spell. I've been picking up veggies, soy milk, dairy and eggs at Costco. I used to be able to pick them up at the grocery store cheaper but that hasn't been the case lately.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Its so unerving. Everytime I go to the grocery store. I see someone changing prices. This is never a good sign.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It seems the mark up's are happening daily. I find that many things that use to be about 2 dollars are now 4. I don't get it, wages are staying down, and everything is going up. Its spooky when each time you HAVE to go to the store it seems that everything is doubling. I hope it slows soon, or no one is going to be able to even afford the things they really need. I shop the sales, and really seem to be able to get some great bulk buys with the case lots sales. But I can't keep up with who has what cheaper on items like milk as they change so fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast