a "back to school" expense I hadn't thought of
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lightbulb a "back to school" expense I hadn't thought of

Glasses
    This is the second year in a in a row for needing new glasses at least new lenses.
    Times this by two children now and that is a big expense.

Also all the exams needed for back to school
    Health, dentist, and eye doctor. (many of the health forms need to be dated at least mid July to start of school)

Add that in with school fees, school supplies, etc. Back to school time is getting to be an expensive time of year. I'll definitely need to plan better next year.
    Last edited by imagine; 07-28-2009 at 05:13 PM.

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Imagine this is a very important subject you've brought up. All of those things can be quite pricey. If there's anyone out there who thinks that maybe they can't afford to get this manditory forms filled out you might look into these avenues.

Wal-mart has a special program for kids (eye exams) My Aunt took her son there and because of her income level I think it was free.

We took our oldest to the dental school for braces. (our insurance only covered $1500 of them) They did dental work and check ups also at the school for a fraction of the cost.

Of course for medical check ups there is always the free clinic. Most areas have one. Just check your local phone book. Check ups can go up to $200, we found that out when our oldest needed one right away and could not wait for our regular doctor.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Luckily our school system doesn't require those though they are suggested. I'd check and see if anyone is having a back-to-school special. That is how my 5yo will be getting her teeth checked on Friday. It's free!!
    Mom to Emma, Spencer, Connor, Lily,Fletcher, Amelia and Adeline.

Mortgage $0
    EF 3 mo income barring
    anymore emergencies

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    And depending on the ages of the kids.......don't forget the shots they may need. Do you get them any flu shots or such?

Yikes......feel for parents at this time of year!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I seen this on clark howard so i gave it try it's great http://zennioptical.com/cart/home.php i got my glasses for 12.95 with shipping it's no frills but for 12.95 it was worth it for another 15 i can order another pair for just sunglasses which i will in another month.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our area provides free/reduced immunizations at school enrollment or health office. For those whose income qualify.

They also have free sports physicals for high school students. (not a high school student yet)

We have to have extra health forms filled out by the doc at physicals due to all the paper work needed in replace milk at lunch. Allergies and asthma in and of themselves are expensive. (but that is a different subject)

We also found out the hard way that when you have a little one in glasses you need a very sturdy pair (generally more expensive) and you also need a good relationship with the place you bought the glasses as we are needing to constantly get adjustments, screws replaced, sometime complete glasses. Good thing the eye doc is close, knows us by name, plus they have candy on the counter. LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know if you have a Wal-Mart in your area, but I believe they are having a $9 frame sale.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by pollypurebred39 View Post
    Imagine this is a very important subject you've brought up. All of those things can be quite pricey. If there's anyone out there who thinks that maybe they can't afford to get this manditory forms filled out you might look into these avenues.

Wal-mart has a special program for kids (eye exams) My Aunt took her son there and because of her income level I think it was free.

We took our oldest to the dental school for braces. (our insurance only covered $1500 of them) They did dental work and check ups also at the school for a fraction of the cost.

Of course for medical check ups there is always the free clinic. Most areas have one. Just check your local phone book. Check ups can go up to $200, we found that out when our oldest needed one right away and could not wait for our regular doctor.
    We don't have a dental school near by? Once or twice a year they have dental students come and do free dental. First come first serve. Some wait all day and get turned away. We also have free or reduced dental care for children at the health department. I wouldn't want o go to either place. They are very restrictive on what they can do. Generally teeth are pulled a lot of the time. You can tell the children that go there as they have missing teeth or silver teeth (from fillings or caps). I'm so glad we have dental insurance even if it only pays half.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by joyofsix View Post
    Luckily our school system doesn't require those though they are suggested. I'd check and see if anyone is having a back-to-school special. That is how my 5yo will be getting her teeth checked on Friday. It's free!!
    Is the free dental check from the school or from a dentist?

Our school does hearing, dental, weight, and eye screening every year during the school year. (if your child don't pass a screening they send you a note and you have to bring in a signed note from the dentist, eye doc, or doc before a certain number of days)

They also do a peak flow check on my son at the beginning of the year. I guess so they have idea of normal in case he has an asthma attack and so the nurses can but a face to the name. The school nurse calls us every year before school starts to see what the plan is for allergies and asthma.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've had great success with Zenni optical too. Won't replace the exam, but definately helped with the cost of the actual glasses!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our insurance and most if your kids need shots just make appointment as a well check most insurance allow this once a year and it's free. or min cost. Check with your insurance company

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by semo_mom View Post
    I don't know if you have a Wal-Mart in your area, but I believe they are having a $9 frame sale.
    I looked into this the frames for kids are 9.00 but there lenses start at 55.00 here. not sure if this changes store to store.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by dmarie View Post
    I looked into this the frames for kids are 9.00 but there lenses start at 55.00 here. not sure if this changes store to store.
    Well this got me to thinking so I gave our local store a call. She said they have about 24 frames to chose from for the $9 special. Also the lenses are on sale here for $29 a pair, I believe she said $49 for scratch and transitionals (sp). The exam itself is $50 another $15 if you want the eyes dilated. I'm sure it does vary by store and area.

I wish I would of waited for my daughters. I had her eyes checked about two months ago and bought new glasses. A little over $300 at the same place. Geez!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post

We also found out the hard way that when you have a little one in glasses you need a very sturdy pair (generally more expensive) and you also need a good relationship with the place you bought the glasses as we are needing to constantly get adjustments, screws replaced, sometime complete glasses. Good thing the eye doc is close, knows us by name, plus they have candy on the counter. LOL
    I totally agree. My 8yo is murder on glasses. We've had two different options depending on our insurance at the time. I bought him $10 frame glasses at Walmart so not too expensive to replace and then Sears has a $25 replacement insurance that paid for itself 3x over.

Mortgage $0
    EF 3 mo income barring
    anymore emergencies

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    Is the free dental check from the school or from a dentist?
    This is done by a local dentist. Our school system provides no medical services except perhaps a quick eye check done in first grade and scoliosis screen done in 9th grade.

Mortgage $0
    EF 3 mo income barring
    anymore emergencies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast