Arbitron

Thread: Arbitron

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Arbitron

About two months ago I received a piece of mail from Arbitron. I thought it would be junk mail but then I opened it and two dollars fell out.

I picked them up and studied them. they looked real. My wife verified this (We work in cash handling and we have found counterfeits before.) I thought... huh?

Turns out it's some survey. So we went online and did another one. They mailed us $3. then they called me. They mailed us $5. Now they mailed us $10...

but they say they have chosen us to participate while using a personal meter which receives a silent signal during a broadcast. I do not know if I am comfortable with this. I do listen to two radio shows regularly -- Alan Colmes and Dave Ramsey, but I podcast them.

They say they will give me $15/month per person participating and then $50 after 90 days.

I was curious if anybody has any experience with this or am I going to be a guinea pig?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have heard about it, but don't know anyone that has participated.
    House - Start $127,944 Balance $105,032

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is interesting........never heard of it. Hope lots of info is gained.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know that arbitron is the standard for radio morning shows etc for ratings. it's similar to neilson rating for tv. that being said, I have never been asked to participate.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know if it was arbitron, but I had a similiar situation several years ago. I was contacted via a phone call and asked if I would participate in a paid survey. So I answered a few of their questions and they told me they'd call back in several weeks. I got a letter with $2. Several weeks later I answered the exact same questions and got a letter with $5 in it. They called back again, asked the same questions and asked me if I'd like to continue in a year long study for $50. I said sure because the phone calls were relatively short and only revolved around the type of formula I was using for my infant son. After that phone call I received a $10 bill and never heard from them again.....but it was all in cash.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

a couple years ago i participated in a nielson ratings survey and they sent me cash. First $2.00 then i got $10.00 cash.
    Steph

FY 2014
    7/25 books read this year
    10/20 no spend days for April

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We got one of the nielson ratings survey this year. Good thing, hubby opened it as it had $ 5 cash in the first envelope.
    Then they sent the big questionaire to be filled out.
    I did not do it, because I watch very little TV. I told the hubby he needed to do it, as he was the tv watcher. To my knowledge, it never got filled out. I figured if he put the money in his pocket, it was his job......not mine......
    Nothing we asked for, it just showed up in the mailbox one day.
    --------My signature--------
    The economy is now uncharted waters... grab a oar and start rowing. ~~
    Put the frog in pot, turn up the heat real slow, and the frog doesn't hop out. And by the time he realizes, he should , it's too late... think about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

How interesting as life gets curiouser and curiouser!! Let us know what you decide to do!1
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

“Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.”
    — Peter Walsh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've known several people who worked for arbitron in the call center I'm pretty sure it's a legit company

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, Arbitron is legit. They're in Columbia, MD, and have been a big client of my employers. I even interviewed there once but did NOT want the gig. Too long of a commute.
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    (Nerd Spender): Loving and extremely patiently tolerated husband of ceashels.
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We carry PPMs for BBM Canada, which is the same as Neilson ratings in the states. Ours' track both radio and tv (including shows broadcast on the Internet). It doesn't matter how much you watch/listen to, payment is based on the ount of time you wear your meter regardless of whether or not you were near any signal. It has a motion detector inside which is used to determine if you were wearing it.

One of the things it tracks, which doesn't happen with a diary system, is stations you hear while you are out. For example, playing over the pa system at a store or restaurant, or a coworker with a radio within earshot. Even though you may think you only listen to 2 shows, odds are that you listen to a lot more without even realizing it.

The meter itself is not a big hassle. It's about the size of a pager and just clips on to your pants. The only issue we have is with our youngest, as she tends to strip her clothes off a lot during the day and run around naked. But you probably don't do that. Otherwise, it's just a matter of remebering to put it on in the morning, and stick it back in the charger when you go to bed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrangler71 View Post
    One of the things it tracks, which doesn't happen with a diary system, is stations you hear while you are out. For example, playing over the pa system at a store or restaurant, or a coworker with a radio within earshot. Even though you may think you only listen to 2 shows, odds are that you listen to a lot more without even realizing it.
    How can they know if you are hearing it? My coworker puts the radio on in her cube, but I don't hear what she's listening to, because I wear headphones and listen to a radio show from my old hometown through the computer!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The meters pick up signals within earshot. If you are wearing headphones, you are supposed to attach an adaptor which allows the meter to pick up the signal coming through the headphones instead of what's nearby.