The best place to buy home furnishings?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default The best place to buy home furnishings?

We plan on staging the house ourselves before we put it on the market. I'd like to get some nice home furnishings to help make the house more updated, but keep the budget in check. These things I'm looking for, in particular, are couch pillows and slipcovers for loveseats and slipcovers for dining room chairs, etc. We'd also like to get some lighter draperies and window treatments for the kitchen, along with each bedroom.

We originally got items from JYSK, but we're wondering if there's a cheaper alternative to getting them from there.

http://www.jysk.ca/

I wouldn't be impartial to suggestions about places like Wal-Mart, but I am leery of shopping at Wal-Mart for these things.

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ikea is great for home furnishings. I expect you could find just about everything except the furniture (sofa)slip covers.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ross, Marshalls ...same prices as Walmart...Ross maybe cheaper
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon Sales Challenge Mar
    $10.43

Coupons for Year / $110.43

Mar/ Grocery
    $58.58 /Goal $250.00 Total

Groceries for Year minus Jan & Feb
    $58.58

Eat Out No More April
    Goal 20
    Accomp/1

No Spend Challenge
    Goal 10
    Accomp/

Change Jar 2014
    $

Christmas Fund 2014
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When my grandfather's house was on the market, the real estate agent arranged for a company to come in to stage the place. The house was empty at the time, and they bought most of the accessories and things they needed from Ikea.

I think this was because they have a really great return policy. This way you can buy things you don't really want but work to give buyers a good sense of the purpose of the space. I believe you get a gift card when you return, so only do this if you would shop there later.

They also rented some larger items from a consignment store, you might want to do this if you need something like a dining table that is a better size for your room.

I also know you can find inexpensive slip covers at Army and Navy and I think you can find a lot of throw pillows as well.

Good luck with the sale!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Homegoods and although I don't normally shop at Walmart, my neighbor just bought draperies there and they are beautiful, look really high end.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

target or world market

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm going to give Wal-Mart a shot first and see what the quality of the tablecloths, slipcovers, curtains and pillows are like first. We're getting both boys a new comforter set for Christmas, so that'll be taken care of before the rest of the furnishings.

If not, I'll check out Ikea.

If Target has ordering online and shipping to Canada for cheap, I'd love to get stuff from Target. Scratch that; Target doesn't ship to Canada.

I'll have to check out the Canadian version of Target then, which is Zellers. I don't mind Zellers but I'd rather get it from somewheres else.

I'll try Homesense also since it's like Homegoods, but different. I really loved the quality of the goods at Homesense, but I'd have to drag DH with me since the closest one to me is a long walk from the train. They have some absolutely fantabulous items at Homesense.

http://www.homesense.ca/en/discover-hs.asp

We don't want to break our budget, but we also don't want to make the house look all drab.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've never found anything decent at Zellers. You really don't need much and shouldn't bother going high end for linens. When we sold our last house I bought white and beige curtains. The beige ones came from walmart, I think $9 each. I bought 1 panel for each side, and shears in between. Too much curtain darkens the room. Our bedroom got a nice bedspread and white curtains - both came from the sears clearance centre - totalled about $40. We got a tablecloth at value village.

Light and simple. Our house sold in two days.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Check out Big Lots. I've seen lots of these kinds of things. Also, Tuesday Morning can have some really good deals.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I second BigLots. It depends on what you need. You can definately get some nice inexpensive acessory type things for the home there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I second Homegoods, it's an awesome store with lots of great stuff!