Frugal Village Forums banner

How old is your coat

Tags
coat
5K views 58 replies 57 participants last post by  misfitz 
#1 ·
I've had the same coat for around ten years now that I bought at Old Navy. It's just basic, simple, cute and black.

I tell myself every year that I will buy a new one at the end of season but I never do. Probably because I'm not a coat person and will only wear one if it's like 20 degrees. :)

I think dh coat is even older. Of course the kids always get new ones because they are growing.

So how old is your coat, do you have a few, and how often do you buy a new one? :)

#2 ·
Mine is probably 10 years old, too. It's a Land's End, warm and looks brand new when it comes out of the wash. Can't complain!

#4 ·
Probably because I'm not a coat person and will only wear one if it's like 20 degrees. :)

So how old is your coat, do you have a few, and how often do you buy a new one? :)
Oh how I AM a coat person!! Love coats! Probably have more 'jacket' type coats than anything! To look at my closet FULL of them you would think that I have a real fear of being cold!! :laugh:

I have all SORTS of coats.....from 'grungy' - only worn out in the yard coats - to nicer coats.

I buy them.......I make them.......I re-arrange old flannel shirts to become a coat.........I LOVE COATS!! :tay:

I bet I have some that must be 20 years old......or more.....if they get 'scuzzy' looking they just become a garden coat! :yikes:

#55 · (Edited)
Coats! ! ! ! !

Oh how I AM a coat person!! Love coats! Probably have more 'jacket' type coats than anything! To look at my closet FULL of them you would think that I have a real fear of being cold!! :laugh:

I have all SORTS of coats.....from 'grungie' - only worn out in the yard coats for gathering kindle for fire - to nicer coats.

I buy them.......I make them.....I LOVE COATS!! :tay:

I bet I have some that must be 20 years old......or more.....if they get 'scuzzy' looking they just become a garden coat! :yikes:

I am TOTALLY a coat gal, too!

My warmest one is a gorgeous black Persian lamb coat fur. Before you sent me spray paint via mail pls know that lamb is a food in the country from which I purchased it. Greece. Just like your leather shoes, persian lamb fur coats are a bi-product of food.

My second fav is a leather (read rationale above) tea length coat I got in Prague during the last World Bank protests (VERY exciting time to be there, totally agreed with non-violent protestors, and I was super lucky to get this coat at low price). Detaceable fox fur collar is super gorgeous.

Before you hit the roof, remember that many farmers have to shoot foxes for invading, kidnapping, and eating their roosters and hens. My fox fur collar came from exactly this locale.

After that come my warm "Republican" wool coats (tho I have never been pro Repub or pro Demo).

I live in the NW of the Pacific Northwest. My most-used winter raincoat has a removable lining. It is my least fav coat.

That's cuz it was made in China, not North Am. My $ was at a temporary low pt so I bought something from evil China who uses polyester and works its factory workers to death.

But my fall/spring raincoat is made of silk and rayon - in Scandinavia. LOVE that coat! And since both fibres are strong, it has lasted 10+ years and still looks new.

For 20+ years I have purchased nice coats and then added $10+ buttons to replace cheapo plastic junk. Added $100+ to the value of each coat. Honest.

But I just realized TODAY that I totally NEED a new coat/jacket!

It frickin rains all the time here. And 3 seasons of the year it is cold.

So I need a 3/4 coat in mahogany-color leather (to complement my red hair). NEED! HTG! Truly. errrrr......Dontchya think?

I like coats. Can ya tell!?! LOL pn

#5 ·
in hoston we only need a coat about 4 days a year. mine is the one i brought back from england. wool, very warm. 10 years old.

#7 ·
I have a Pacifictrail coat I bought 17-years ago at an outlet mall. My friend bought the exact same coat and she's still wearing hers as well. My dress coat (funerals and weddings coat - LOL) is a beautiful gray 100% camel hair coat I purchased at a thrift store 12-years ago and I expect it will last me the rest of my life.

My Cougar snow boots - ordered out of a Sears catalog - I bought in 1976.

This proves good classic styles and regular care pay-off!

#8 ·
I have a fleece jacket that I wear when it is chilly that I got in 97 from work. I have been telling myself for the last few years that I need to get a new one. I think this year I will definately get one at the end of season sale at Belk.

#9 ·
My everyday coat is new - it's only 2-3 years ago. I splurged with the $10 when it was on sale. This was after I had worn one of DH's freebie promotional jackets for about 10 years. I also have a very dressy coat. I'm guessing it is about 20 years old.

#52 ·
I'm smiling as I say this so don't get me wrong, but...:p:p:p. That was so hard to read without thinking about the 16 inches of snow outside. My dress coat is at least 20(gulp) years old. It's black with specks of purple and pink. It hits just above the knee. I have 2 Rusty Wallace jackets, one is 14 years old and the other is about 5 years old. I also have a purple waist length jacket that is around 14 years old. My newest jacket is my leather Harley jacket. It is almost 3 years old. Something tells me I need a new coat.

Cat

#11 ·
I also have several coats one I bought at Goodwill a couple of years ago for 10.99 it was a 75.00 jacket. I just bought a L.L.Bean jacket at SA for 7.00 original price some where around 50.00 .I have coats /dress jackets for meetings , church then I have the jackets that I need depending on the weather if it is 30 above a lighter jacket with a sweat shirt works good but if it is -18 like it was last night I wear the LL Bean.

#12 ·
I am a coat nut I have lots of coats ranging from 10 years old to brand new I buy them all the time its my one fashion weakness they range in price from 2.00 at the SA to mink bought this year.

#14 ·
I have a few coats. They are all OLD but still in good shape. A couple of them are from when I was a teenager and a couple are hand-me-downs that someone else was going to pitch. My newest one is probably from the early 90's. So we'll say they're mostly about 20 or 22 years old.

#15 ·
We, too, only need a heavy coat about 4 or 5 days a year. I sold my "big" coat in a garage sale about 25 years ago. I have several blazers "somewhere". We were given a logo'd windbreaker at work about 4 or 5 years ago and this year they gave us a really nice logo'd suede like insulated jacket. I wear those, or just wear long sleeved dress shirts to work. Otherwise it's long sleeved Tshirts or sweatshirts. Don't care to wear a heavy coat at all.

#16 ·
I bought a new one this year--the last time I bought one was abotu 5 years ago.

Now let me tell you the saga of my new coat. I saw the coat in Younkers when a friend and I were mall-walking trying to get Maggie to pop out. I was drawn to it like a moth to a flame. It's beautiful, cream colored wool with satin lining. The wool has gold threads woven through it in a basket-weave pattern. It's a dressy pea coat that falls right above my knees. And my favorite part is that at the back there is a little corset like detail with cream colored ribbon. Anyways, I couldn't justify spending 100$ on a cream colored coat. How impractical is that with two kids?

I did ask for it for Christmas, but did not get it. Hubby later said, "Oh I should have got it for you." But again, I told him it was impractical, etc. etc.

In January, I returned a necklace/earring set that I was given for Christmas to Younkers and got a 40$ store credit. I was with a different friend and wanted to show her the coat. THey had ONE coat left, in MY size. And it was 25% off. So, it was down to 75$, then I had a 40$ store credit.

So I paid 35$ for my beautiful coat that I love. I figure if I wear it for 5 years like I did the last one it equals out to 7$ a year. I can live with that.

#17 ·
We needs coats lots around here. I have 3. One is for when I have to shovel. Its ugly but gets the job done. One is for when its cold but not too cold and the other is for when its freezing. They are all almost 5 yrs old because before this I lived where you didnt need a coat.

#18 ·
I'm in Houston (like ladykemma). We don't have much need for coats. BUT I have a trench coat from my days of working downtown that is over 15 years old. I have a couple of hoodies that are a couple of years old.

I had a cheap leather coat that was falling apart. I just bought a new leather motorcycle jacket a week ago. I shopped around forever and got a great price. It should last forever. Hubby's leather motorcycle jacket is almost 20 years old and still as good as new!

#19 ·
I have two winter coats. One is a Columbia that I've had since we moved back up here from AL, about 7 yrs. I wear it when we go sledding, play outside or shovel snow.

The one I wear most is about 2yrs old. It's Calvin Klein, red, hooded, wool and gorgeous. I love it!!

#20 ·
my coat is about 5yrs old got it at Burlington Coat Factory for $30 origionally for $60 good deal and it's a parka and warm. I need to get a new coat something smaller more tailored cause I'm petite. Have to look for when they are having a sale again on coats!

#21 ·
My winter jacket is a Woolrich that came from a thrift shop around 1989 or so. It still looks great.

My "real" winter coat is a WW2 officer's wool greatcoat. It was made sometime around 1944. Our winters here are not severe enough that I've needed it much.

I also have a full length rabbit coat in black that I bought when I was working back east in ritzy downtown offices ca. 1990.

#22 ·
I have a brown pea coat that is about 4 years old.

#23 ·
I have lots of coats. :)

My oldest is my high school letterman jacket from running track. It's about 18 years old.

My newest is a coat I got last Christmas. It's a down coat with big, puffy collar.

#25 ·
I have a columbia mid length that I wear to walk the dog, etc. It's about 6 years old. A nice leather coat that I wear about twice a year (gift). Mostly I wear a down vest that I got at REI. It's very light weight but super warm! I bought it this fall.

#26 ·
Great deal on the coat, Nichole!

I've had my wool coat for three years now. I use it for work, and I have an assortment of coats that strangely and magically appeared over the years that I use for ranch work. Many of them are work coats (we get free gear every so many years, including severe weather gear). A couple were presents from my family. One is an OLD OLD fake suede thing that my mother got from a friend, who "earned" it by smoking enough Marlboro's to get enough points to "buy" it. I call it my Marlboro Man coat. :) It looks pretty good, and I've actually gotten compliments on it, but it is completely washable, so it gets the brunt of my abuse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.