anti-reflective coating on eyeglasses
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default anti-reflective coating on eyeglasses

i will never get anti-reflective coating on my eyeglasses again.

i bought these eyeglasses in september, approximately six months old and the coating is worn off. actually half off so that one of my students wanted to know if i had scotch tape on my lenses. (he may have been referring to the bifocals?)

these glasses were 500 bucks and i don't have time to deal with returning them. got online and found another individual had removed the %&^ coating with toothpaste.

i thought - why not? well it worked. no more coating. yay!
    baby step 2- see blog for actual amounts

"stop being a victim, you are a perpetrator, taking things without paying for them is stealing, you are not a victim, you are a perpetrator. PAY THE PEOPLE YOU OWE, pray for the people you owe, and make it right. " hard nosed AA person, thumping his big book, addressed to me in AA meeting 7/30/2013

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That stinks LK. To have it be gone THAT SOON after paying the price for it.

Thanks for letting me know.......I seldom get the extras on my glasses.....including the 'invisaline' that they always want to sell you when you wear bifocals......but just reinforced what I have been doing. I refuse to pay the extra.....it won't make me see any better and I am not that vain about the line.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not this pair of glasses, but the pair I had before them, they used some kind of coating on them. I took them back and got another set of lenses made ... finally figured out the coating thing was the problem. I made them replace the lenses again...at no cost to me.
    This pair I made sure when I did the order, that they knew, I did not want ANY coating on them. My glasses are not cheap. I want them right. Thinking about going somewhere else the next time.
    My glasses have no line. Not that I am vain about this point...but I started with no line, and I continue this way. Once you get used to something, you stay with it.

What brand of toothpaste did you use ?
    --------My signature--------
    The economy is now uncharted waters... grab a oar and start rowing. ~~
    Put the frog in pot, turn up the heat real slow, and the frog doesn't hop out. And by the time he realizes, he should , it's too late... think about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry you had this happen. I'm surprised you had a problem with it. The anti reflective coating seems to last well for me (probably had it on 4 pairs of glasses & notice "wear" after 3 years or so). I've purchased my glasses at various places (local eye doctor, Lens Crafters & Sears). I did tried a pair without it years ago & felt I couldn't see nearly as well. I had them add it without having to buy new lenses (Len Crafters), just paid for the coating. I wouldn't spend the extra money if you can see just as well without it though.

May Groceries $228/275 Pet Supplies $109/130
    Coupons $24.99
    April Groceries $280/275 Pet Supplies $118/130
    Coupons $36.44
    Coupon Saving 2014 $153.91
    2013 $404.44
    2012 $395.16

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

hmmmm........I wonder if you can get back the $$ you paid for the coating.

I just got glasses within the last month (see whiney post on the cost) and turned down the coating, not really knowing why....I just don't usually order the extras. Glad I did, now.
    ______
    Cheryl

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I find myself. For I have learned that the greater part of our misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance, but by our disposition." -------Martha Washington

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You are supposed to use one of those special cloths to clean lenses with special coating and you are also not supposed to use cleaners on them (like Windex, 409, etc.). I would contact whoever you bought your glasses from and complain and see if they will help you out!
    House - Start $127,944 Balance $105,032

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've had the anti-coat and a couple of things - I always use the approved cleaner and wiper (cloth diaper washed as normal and put thru the dryer without the fabric softener) and when I put them in my holding case, I have the clip on sun glasses that protect the actual lenses from any friction against any other surface.

When I did not use those precautions, the coating wore away very quickly and actually started causing "light refractions" into my line of vision. As in they would create another line of light in my vision.

They do work really well, for me, and I don't notice the light bouncing off them. Does that make sense?

Sorry this happened to you, I know it's expensive, but maybe contacting the original provider?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've never had a prob with my anti coating on my main pair of glasses. I have the polarized lenses as well so this truly is my main pair of glasses. I do notice at night the difference between my main pair and my 2ndary 'indoor' pair...I totally need the anti-reflection coating for nighttime driving. That or put my contacts in lol.

Perhaps they didn't put it on properly or let it set long enough? I'd call to complain now so they have it on file and go back in when you have a chance.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I got the anti-reflective coating on my glasses a few years ago.

HATED IT!

It made me look like I had dark shadows under my eyes all the time, and it fuzzed up my vision a bit, even though it was supposed to be clear.

Needless to say, when it was time for a new prescription, I opted out of the anti-reflection covering.

Sorry you had a rough time with these!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ladykemma2 View Post
    i will never get anti-reflective coating on my eyeglasses again.

i bought these eyeglasses in september, approximately six months old and the coating is worn off. actually half off so that one of my students wanted to know if i had scotch tape on my lenses. (he may have been referring to the bifocals?)

these glasses were 500 bucks and i don't have time to deal with returning them. got online and found another individual had removed the %&^ coating with toothpaste.

i thought - why not? well it worked. no more coating. yay!
    That's CRAZY! We've had the anti-reflective coating on our glasses ever since they came out with it.. & we've NEVER had any problems! Wonder what you do differently or if it's just who did yours? that's so weird!
    Waiting is teaching me to lean on Jesus that much harder!!!
    Married 8 years to the man of my dreams!
    Adopting a baby... due July 27, 2014!!
    ME DH Austin Baby Eli

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

pearle vision.

i wash mine several times a day with soap and water.
    baby step 2- see blog for actual amounts

"stop being a victim, you are a perpetrator, taking things without paying for them is stealing, you are not a victim, you are a perpetrator. PAY THE PEOPLE YOU OWE, pray for the people you owe, and make it right. " hard nosed AA person, thumping his big book, addressed to me in AA meeting 7/30/2013

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

But WHAT do you dry them with?

Quote Originally Posted by ladykemma2 View Post
    pearle vision.

i wash mine several times a day with soap and water.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have add the anti-relective coating on every single pair of glasses I have had and I have never had a problem with them. The anti-reflective coating is especially helpful because I sit in front of a computer all day. I clean mine with pre-moistened wipes I bought from Walmart.

I think it's odd that so many have had problems with the coating on their glasses....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by beks37 View Post
    I have add the anti-relective coating on every single pair of glasses I have had and I have never had a problem with them. The anti-reflective coating is especially helpful because I sit in front of a computer all day. I clean mine with pre-moistened wipes I bought from Walmart.

I think it's odd that so many have had problems with the coating on their glasses....
    I used to have that problem too when I was working but all the monitors got switched over to LCD type and that problem went away. Oh..and I use my tee shirt to clean my glasses lol sounds odd but it works best for me, no chemicals just my foggy breath and tee shirt. BF uses black & white newspaper on mine sometimes as well - does a GREAT job of brightening my day literally hahaha.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You should NOT clean your glasses with products made of paper/wood products - newspaper, paper napkins, paper towels, etc. There are cloths made for cleaning your glasses. T-shirt type material is fine also.