Frugal Village Forums banner

If you had to purchase food because a shtf scenario...

5K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  Paws 
#1 ·
and only had $300 to do so and you knew that this food was going to have to last for a very very long time...what would you purchase? The economy isn't getting better and i think as winter months start to get here and people are having to purchase oil to stay warm i think it is going to get worse. There are other things out there also that could happen. So that being said....I really have decided it is time to figure out some ideas on what to have on hand..
Scenario would be, would have a wood stove to cook on...no refridgerator as per say...(not that would happen) Thanks for your help...

#2 ·
Your scenario calls for canned and dried items. I would stock up on dried beans, cornmeal, dried milk and eggs, macaroni/noodles, canned meats such tuna or mackerel, spam, dried potato flakes, canned veggies/fruits. The idea is to have a balanced menu with only dried and canned items. I would not purchase anything that is a mix or processed, but rather stretch the dollar by buying "primary" foods.

#23 ·
Your scenario calls for canned and dried items. I would stock up on dried beans, cornmeal, dried milk and eggs, macaroni/noodles, canned meats such tuna or mackerel, spam, dried potato flakes, canned veggies/fruits. The idea is to have a balanced menu with only dried and canned items. I would not purchase anything that is a mix or processed, but rather stretch the dollar by buying "primary" foods.
This would be me. Actually it is.

Have to remember the OP said "only have $300 to spend and has to last a VERY long time".

Canned meat is expensive any way you cut it. Peanut butter is protein the same as meat. Also dosen't need fridged and is relatively cheap. As far as getting tired of something or won't eat....if the shtf for REAL....and it came down to eating 20 jars of peanut butter or go hungry I'm betting the peanut butter ( or whatever ) would get eaten.

As Savvy Sniper said about date opened and date finished using...She posted this long time ago and I did it. Surprised me. Found I used way quicker than I thought so had to rearrange my amounts and thinking to maintain a 6 month stockpile. Like I thought a big can of Folgers lasted about 5 weeks...not...lasts 3. A large cannister of Coffee Mate I thought lasted about 6 weeks...way off...lasts about 3 also.

So date mark some items and see how long they truly last. The vitamins is also good idea. I'm rearranging my thinking too on HBA/cleaning/washing powders etc. I'm going for a year on those.

#3 ·
dried eggs where do you get those..

sorry never bought dried eggs before? Thanks for your input...

#4 ·
#5 ·
I would recommend that you start off slowly. Buying extra when you find things on sale is the best way. That will make your money go farther.

It also helps to know how long something lasts, Mark the container with the date when you open it and make note when you finish it off.

Example - a large can of coffee lasts us approximately one month. I now have more than 12 cans. So I have over a year's supply.

I just bought a can of powdered eggs, but I haven't tried them yet. I am sure they will be fine in recipes. I am slowly adding various dried/freeze dried/powdered foods to my pantry - powdered cheese, milk, etc.

Just remember to buy what you eat and eat what you buy. It won't do you any good to buy cans of tuna if you won't eat it!

Check out honeyvillegrain.com. Get on their mailing list. They will let you know when they have sales/discounts.

#6 ·
Soup, homemade whole grain bread and hot cereal - you want to eat cheap but stay warm AND have decent nutrition??? Soup, bread and hot cereal.

#13 ·
Reactions: alotofgooddeals
#14 ·
Actually we are in decent shape.
Have dried milk, dried eggs, beans, flour, sugar, and coffee.
Also the freezer is full but if the electric went out, I would have to start canning seriously.
Plenty of canned goods in the pantry.
Only thing we would have to buy is fresh milk for the hubby.
If twas up to me, I would not even have it in the house.

I need to stock up on some dish and laundry soap. I try to stay ahead on our chicken feed.
The 2 dogs appreciate me when I stay ahead on their dog food too :)
TP is about a year ahead. Plenty of bar soap and shampoo.

I don't think our economy is getting better. We need our manufacturing jobs
back in the states. Buy Made in the USA.

#15 ·
i so agree... until they figure out that

we need to take care of our own first and put some jobs back in the good old U.S.A things are just going to get worse... I fear for what can happen...I am already way behind on bills because of having hours cut for summer....We start back up full time in a couple of weeks and i am just so thankful that i am not so far gone that i cannot catch up...It will take me till January when income tax comes back before i can catch up on things but i will get there... trying to prepare for having five weeks off next summer and not having to be broke next year to so it is always good to know what people stockpile....

#16 ·
The other things we do is to stay ahead at least one season, for our wood for the OWB. And we make sure we have one big tank of propane ahead for the kitchen stove. And usually 2 little tanks full. I also try to keep our trucks 1/2 full or better most of the time, but especially so, in the winter.
If we stay ahead of things, we can do okay even when the budget goes tight because of a repair or something unexpected.

#17 ·
I would definitely stock up on beans, pasta, rice, flour, butter, sugar as well as some of the things others have said...you want to be able to stretch your dollars as far as they'll go. I just found Butterball turkeys on sale at Wal-Mart a couple of weeks ago for $.78 a pound so I stocked up! Couldn't believe it! Any meat that can be put in a slow cooker or braised and cooked low and slow would also be good to stock up on if you have the freezer room. I also agree with whomever talked about canned items...you want to make sure you have a balance of carbs, veggies, etc. And for whomever mentioned those suffering from anemia...you could always purchase a cast iron pan or two! Those help add iron to your diet!

Oh, and I would also stock up on powdered milk and vitamins--even though vitamins won't fill the stomach, they'll at least help you keep your health up!

#18 ·
The first thing I would do is sit down and make a list of the meals we like to eat. Then I'd start a list from that. And I agree with the buying only things you know your family will eat! If they won't eat it it's a waste of money and you will be hungry!

I stockpile......

Pastas
Pasta sauce
Canned tomatoes
Canned green beans, corn and peas
Canned kidney beans (I just don't like dried ones as well)
Pork and beans
Canned tuna
Treet
Canned soups (tomato, mushroom)
Canned fruits
Hamburger Helper meals
Sugar
Flour
Salt
Spices (cinnamon, chili powder, garlic and onion powder, etc)
Dried beans
Boxed potatoes like Au Gratin, mashed, etc.
Canned pie fillings
Canned milk (evaporated and sweetened condensed)

I also stockpile meats in the freezer and gas for our generator. I catch items on sale and buy as many as I can afford at that time.

Plus things like toilet paper, razors, paper towels, shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, etc.

#21 ·
I'd buy a lot of bottled water. In a real STHF scenario, you don't have electricity OR running water. If you live somewhere with naturally running water (springs) that are safe to drink, you can collect this water yourself, but if you rely on a kitchen faucet for water, you might want to have some water on hand for drinking and sanitation. All you have to do is watch what's happening due to the flood in Pakistan right now - 20 million people w/o access to water OR food. I'd rather have water than food....

Aside from that, I'd go for the canned and dried things as well. I might have missed it but I didn't see anyone mention dried fruits and vegetables. They keep and are very healthy. You can dehydrate your own if you want. My mom does this and has bushels of dried fruit of every variety, and some veggies too. Dried mushrooms are another option. All of these are also lightweight and portable, and take up much less space than canned.

#22 · (Edited)
I try to stay prepared for this type "scenario"...
My Food essentials would be:

~A good supply bottled water/spring water
~Powdered milk and/or canned condensed milk
~Various types dry beans
~Long grain white AND brown rice--OPTIONAL-Jasmine and Basmati rice
~Bread flour
~AP or SR flour
~Whole wheat flour
~Yeast
~Sugar
~Dried herbs, spices, and pepper
~Cornmeal
~Oatmeal - Old fashioned AND quick cooking
~Canned veggies
~Canned fruits with and without added sugar
~Canned tomato products
~Canned tomato sauce and paste
~Dried various pastas
~Canned meats such as chicken, ham, tuna, salmon and spam
~Salt-regular and Kosher
~Peanut butter-smooth and crunchy
~Cocoa powder
~Vinegar-white, cider, red wine, and white wine
~Grape jelly
~Home canned butter
~Home canned orange marmalade
~Home canned Apple butter
~Baking soda-(for baking and cleaning)
~Baking powder and/or cream of tartar
~Cornstarch-(for cooking and HBA's)
~Chicken, Beef, and Vegetable bouillon cubes/granules and/or soup bases
~Dehydrated fruits and veggies-(preferable home dried)
~Several large jugs 100% juice with no added sugar
~A couple containers V-8 type juice (with lower sodium)
~Instant potato flakes/mashed potatoes-only 100% potatoes-no fillers added
~Dog food-can and huge bag dry

So far, this what I keep in my pantry...As I use the products, I buy more and rotate the items to keep them fresh and in date for later use.

*I've never tried dried butter or egg powder products...but have been thinking about it.
If the taste is relatively decent and they work as they should, they could come in very handy!*

Reactions: NikoSan999
#31 ·
I try to stay prepared for this type "scenario"...
My Food essentials would be:

~A good supply bottled water/spring water
~Powdered milk and/or canned condensed milk
~Various types dry beans
~Long grain white AND brown rice--OPTIONAL-Jasmine and Basmati rice
~Bread flour
~AP or SR flour
~Whole wheat flour
~Yeast
~Sugar
~Dried herbs, spices, and pepper
~Cornmeal
~Oatmeal - Old fashioned AND quick cooking
~Canned veggies
~Canned fruits with and without added sugar
~Canned tomato products
~Canned tomato sauce and paste
~Dried various pastas
~Canned meats such as chicken, ham, tuna, salmon and spam
~Salt-regular and Kosher
~Peanut butter-smooth and crunchy
~Cocoa powder
~Vinegar-white, cider, red wine, and white wine
~Grape jelly
~Home canned butter
~Home canned orange marmalade
~Home canned Apple butter
~Baking soda-(for baking and cleaning)
~Baking powder and/or cream of tartar
~Cornstarch-(for cooking and HBA's)
~Chicken, Beef, and Vegetable bouillon cubes/granules and/or soup bases
~Dehydrated fruits and veggies-(preferable home dried)
~Several large jugs 100% juice with no added sugar
~A couple containers V-8 type juice (with lower sodium)
~Instant potato flakes/mashed potatoes-only 100% potatoes-no fillers added
~Dog food-can and huge bag dry

So far, this what I keep in my pantry...As I use the products, I buy more and rotate the items to keep them fresh and in date for later use.

*I've never tried dried butter or egg powder products...but have been thinking about it.
If the taste is relatively decent and they work as they should, they could come in very handy!*
Snap, I forgot about a few things...

~Cream of wheat
~8 grain hot cereal
~Cornflakes cereal
~Popcorn kernals
~Ramen noodles - chicken, beef, and shrimp
~PopTarts~~~Heaven help anyone that comes in between DD and DH and their poptarts....:nerv2:
~ In addition to regular long grain rice, I also keep Minute Rice on hand-white and brown
~Sugar-white granulated, powdered, and brown
~Pork and beans
~Canned soups-Chicken noodle and Tomato
~Spaghetti sauce
~Dog treats-long rawhide rolls, milk bones, and chicken treats...gotta keep these on hand to keep "The Boys" from jumping ship...:rollsmile
~Coffee - regular and instant
~Tea-regular, decaf, and green
~onions
~Potatoes
~Dried spices, herbs, and seasonings
~Oils-EVOO, Canola, Vegetable, and vegetable shortening
~Peanuts and cashews-whole and pieces
~Canned mushrooms
~Canned Asian veggies
~Dales, Soy, Tamari, Hoisin, Oyster sauces
~Condiments
~Dry Ranch dressing mix

Well...this is all I can remember now...lol

#26 ·
Strangely I have been thiking about this as well:

* peanut butter or other nut butter as preferred
* dried beans
* flour
* yeast
* dried fruit
* nuts
* canned tomatoes
* spices
* power bars (if found cheaply enough)
* tuna or other canned fish
* possibly canned veggies, I just got a great deal on beans and stocked up
* rice
* oatmeal
* seasonings to make soups, chili, etc...

#27 ·
I'm totally in on the peanut butter angle! When Dh and I were both in school it was a staple food for sure! =) We liked to get different kinds of jelly (still bought at Costco...cheap, BIG jars!). But, having strawberry, raspberry, grape, etc...helped it not get quite so mundane. :)

We always take vitamins...and have some in our little stockpile. So, that would definitely be on my "list"! :)

#28 ·
Stock up on spices. Plain old lentil / barley mush gets old quick. Jazz up a little of each with some spices and it is a different story - especially if you alternate spice blends for different flavors.

I'll second the nuts. They're a good source of healthy fat and fiber and can be ground into a flour in a pinch.

Has anyone mentioned flaxseed as a way to supplement fiber?

Can you do any indoor gardening?

#30 ·
No one has mentioned dried milk but I think this would be another great item to have on hand...can substitute it for regular milk in cooking/baking. Can drink it in a pinch. And I would imagine it'd stay good for a long while on the shelf!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.