Amy Dacyczyn "The Tightwad Gazette" quote on coupons
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Amy Dacyczyn "The Tightwad Gazette" quote on coupons

I found this quote while surfing the net today

Here’s a quote from Amy Dacyczyn in her “The Tightwad Gazette”:

“Readers frequently send me sales slips to demonstrate how much they save using coupons. With bold sweeps of colored markers they circle the figure that shows how much the coupons used added up to. They’re circling the wrong figure. The most important figure on your sales slip is how much you spend on groceries…not how much you save using coupons.”
    "Everyday as your walking down the street, everybody that you meet has an original point of view" -Arthur PBS

Imagine - Wife of 20 years to Hubby
    Mom to Buddy (son 17) and Little Miss ( daughter 13)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~It is so true. It's really cool seeing "Today you saved $84" at the bottom of the receipt. But if I can buy those same items for the same price with Aldi generics am I really saving anything? Even without coupons my grocery store puts a savings total at the bottom reflecting their sale prices. It may say I saved $2 on that box of oatmeal but compared to the same box at Aldi I only saved $.25.
    It really is more about how much you actually spend.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Obvious sound logic!!

I make my lists on Sundays with all the flyers, etc. I often find at the end of the week that I haven't gone shopping and am thrilled at all that I have saved!!
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

“Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.”
    — Peter Walsh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's so true. I find that even with $.50 or a $1.00 Aldi or even store brand is usually cheaper. My personal thrill is to get the marked down veggies, bread or meat and see what I saved. Now that is savings.
    Mom to Emma, Spencer, Connor, Lily,Fletcher, Amelia and Adeline.

Mortgage $0
    EF 3 mo income barring
    anymore emergencies

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Our stores aren't giving good discounts like they used to.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by joyofsix View Post
    That's so true. I find that even with $.50 or a $1.00 Aldi or even store brand is usually cheaper. My personal thrill is to get the marked down veggies, bread or meat and see what I saved. Now that is savings.

This is me

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Her quote makes sense. It is like buying something on sale that you don't need.
    May No Spend Days - 14 /15
    2014 No Eat Out Days - 132 /365
    2014 May Gas Challenge - $105 / $80
    May Keep Fit - 580 min / 750 min

2014 - 52 Week Saving Challenge - 3, 8, 9, 18, 21, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52

Don't tell God how big your storm is...tell the storm how big your God is.

Registered User greekislandgirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Years ago I was trying to lose weight and couldn't do it, couldn't do it... finally, though, I ended up being really successful. A friend asked me how I did it, and I said "I stopped congratulating myself for all the bad foods I passed up, and paid more attention to things I actually DID eat." Because what you didn't eat (or spend) doesn't matter.

Great quote!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm inclined to agree; however if I was going to be buying an item regardless then it really is saving if I go out of my way to get the best deal rather then just walking into any old store and paying full price.

Case in point Dog food. I have to buy a 20 pound bag of Pedigree every month no matter what the price is. Normal price is 12.99. I don't like to buy more then six months worth so
    12.99 x 6 is 77.99
    Target had a deal that if you bought 2 bags you got a 5.00 gift card. I had 6 3.00 off coupons.
    12.99 - 3.00 is 9.99
    9.99 x 6 is 59.94 Tell me how is that NOT saving 18.05 ?
    In addition to that I got 15.00 in gift cards. I used the gift cards to buy produce. produce I would have had to buy regardless of the price. If I had not done the deal I would have spent 92.99 for all of that. Instead I got it all for 59.95. Again how is that not saving?

BUT if I had bought something I did not need in order to get a good deal. If I had bought things I would not have bought otherwise then that is just spending.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I agree to a point...and I'm probably going to be blasted..but I don't see anything wrong with ocassionally being able to buy something because it's on sale that you normally wouldn't be able to buy.
    Example, hubby and the kid like Doritos. Personally I can't stand to even smell them. However Publix had them BOGO so the $3.99 each bags turned into $2 each bags plus I had a coupon for a free 2 liter bottle of Pepsi if you bought two bags.
    If they hadn't been on BOGO no I wouldn't have got them but as it stands they were able to get a treat which would have cost $9.87 ( no way ) but I paid $3.99. It's a matter of opinion I know. But I've consider the savings on some stuff on sale the possibility to have or try something new that I wouldn't have paid full price for otherwise.
    And I shop at Aldis alot but mostly Publix for loss leaders and BOGO's.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon Sales Challenge/July
    $198.62

Coupons for Year / $745.54

July/ Grocery
    $154.95 /Goal $250.00 Total

Groceries for Year minus Jan & Feb
    $504.98

Eat Out No More July
    Goal 20
    Accomp/11

No Spend Challenge
    Goal 10
    Accomp/10

Change Jar 2014
    $

Christmas Fund 2014
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by AnnK View Post
    I'm inclined to agree; however if I was going to be buying an item regardless then it really is saving if I go out of my way to get the best deal rather then just walking into any old store and paying full price.

Case in point Dog food. I have to buy a 20 pound bag of Pedigree every month no matter what the price is. Normal price is 12.99. I don't like to buy more then six months worth so
    12.99 x 6 is 77.99
    Target had a deal that if you bought 2 bags you got a 5.00 gift card. I had 6 3.00 off coupons.
    12.99 - 3.00 is 9.99
    In addition to that I got 15.00 in gift cards. I used the gift cards to buy produce. produce I would have had to buy regardless of the price. If I had not done the deal I would have spent 92.99 for all of that. Instead I got it all for 59.95. Again how is that not saving?

BUT if I had bought something I did not need in order to get a good deal. If I had bought things I would not have bought otherwise then that is just spending.
    walking out paying full price is sometimes cheaper though.

sometimes paying full price for and item in bulk is cheaper than paying with a coupon.

take Vinegar for example

my gallon of generic vinegar is cheaper per oz at full price than most deals plus a coupon. even the latest Walgreen Easter deal with coupon that I found everyone talking about on line when I researched vinegar coupons today.

sometimes paying full price for a generic is cheaper than the name brand with a coupon.

My full price generic soda for 59 cents is a better deal than soda on sale at the grocery for 84 cents (if you buy X amount) Does that mean I always buy the 59 cents soda? No sometimes I spend more at get the other soda on sale. I can't say I saved the money when I spent more to get the name brand soda on sale.
    "Everyday as your walking down the street, everybody that you meet has an original point of view" -Arthur PBS

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by NikoSan999 View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with ocassionally being able to buy something because it's on sale that you normally wouldn't be able to buy.
    Example, hubby and the kid like Doritos. Personally I can't stand to even smell them. However Publix had them BOGO so the $3.99 each bags turned into $2 each bags plus I had a coupon for a free 2 liter bottle of Pepsi if you bought two bags.
    If they hadn't been on BOGO no I wouldn't have got them but as it stands they were able to get a treat which would have cost $9.87 ( no way ) but I paid $3.99. It's a matter of opinion I know. But I've consider the savings on some stuff on sale the possibility to have or try something new that I wouldn't have paid full price for otherwise.
    I don't see anything wrong with ocassionally being able to buy something because it's on sale that you normally wouldn't be able to buy either.

I'm just not sure I see it as saving money at least along with the the Amy quote.

Knock off Doritos at my Aldi's are $1.29 if I was to upgrade to the name brand on sale for $3.99. That wouldn't be saving money. It would be an upgrade in quality for those that prefer the taste of real Doritos. Finding them on sale would be a bonus to life. Would it be worth the extra spent especially when the extra is less because it was on sale? Sure it would for a Dorito lover.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You're lucky to have stores that sell their generic brands at such dramatically reduced prices. There is essentially no difference between the price of store brand and name brand products here, usually about .10-.20 on a $3 item. When something is on sale with a coupon, the regular priced store brand is never cheaper.

Kind of makes me wonder how your big name brands stay in business if stores are selling their private label items for less than half the price.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrangler71 View Post
    You're lucky to have stores that sell their generic brands at such dramatically reduced prices. There is essentially no difference between the price of store brand and name brand products here, usually about .10-.20 on a $3 item. When something is on sale with a coupon, the regular priced store brand is never cheaper.

Kind of makes me wonder how your big name brands stay in business if stores are selling their private label items for less than half the price.
    I wonder if the name brand stay in business because the store brands are made by the name brands.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by AnnK View Post
    12.99 x 6 is 77.99
    12.99 - 3.00 is 9.99
    ~I think Amy's point here is that you, Customer A spent $45 on 6 months of dog food(I'm subtracting the value of the gift cards since you bought produce you were going to buy anyway). You bought brand name and spent time clipping coupons and matching sales. Customer B orders 6 months of generic dog food from a Farm & Garden supply store and pays $45. (I really have no idea of price I'm just guessing for illustration purchases.) It doesn't matter if Customer A saves $33 because customer B 'saves' that too by buying bulk generic. So you have to go by baseline, which is how much does it cost for 6 months of dog food. In both cases above, $45.
    I know most pet owners swear their pets can only eat one food for whatever reason(I'll probably understand that better when we get a pup)but just trying to further explain how it isn't really saving.~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast