New ways for the extremely frugal to save $5 a month
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

New ways for the extremely frugal to save $5 a month

~So after seeing Sara's article about overused frugal tips posted again it got me thinking. There really are 1000's of little, obscure and boring ways to save a little bit. If you do enough of them you will see a significant savings. But it's always a challenge finding new ways to save when you're already a very frugal person.
    I'm in the mood for a frugal challenge!
    So, I've been writing a list of things I can do this month, that I wasn't previously doing, that will save $5. There are tons of things I do already like cloth diapers, leftovers for lunch and using the internet to find shopping codes to buy things cheaper online. I'm sure that's the case for most of us frugal people. I'm not counting those for my list, just new goals and renewed goals for the next 30 days.
    So how about challenging yourself to find some things you can do this month that will save you $5? It can be something new to you or something you used to do and will renew.

Here are mine:
    1. line dry 5 loads of laundry
    2. only drink coffee that has been made with reused grounds
    3. cut tv time in half-less than 3 hours a day for everyone-includes video games and exercising
    4. drive 30 miles less-1 less trip to town, 1 less trip to my mother's- I don't think I'll be good at tracking this this way so I'm going to put $5 less gas in the tank and when the tank is low, I don't go!
    5. make a dozen bagels and 16 hamburger rolls instead of buying at Aldi
    6. make 2 pairs of lounge shorts for ds instead of buying at Goodwill
    7. cut off and hem ds' too short jeans for summer shorts instead of buying at Goodwill
    8. alter two of my long sleeve tees into tanks for summer instead of buying at yard sales
    9. drink 3 less alcoholic drinks
    10. towel dry dishes in the dishwasher instead of running the heating element
    Total savings: $50
    I'm going to print out my post and put it on the fridge to keep motivated. Anyone want to join me?~

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow nuisance! That's awesome! I'll have to think on this, at this moment I can't seem to think of anything.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great idea - I'll be thinking about this too - but right off the bat I can.....
    1. Absolutely no meals not made at home - no breakfasts, snacks, lunches or dinners.
    2. Minimize trips to town and the other side even more!!

....tbc....
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

“Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.”
    — Peter Walsh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

~ cut out one meal eating out (ok, so we generally spend more than that for one meal - but we generally only eat out once a month)
    ~ cut out meat for another meal each week ( we already do at least one meatless meal a week)
    ~ back to using the solar lights on the porch (generally saves me nearly $20/month, but not enough sunlight in the winter to power the lights)

Savings of approximately $60/month

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

-switched dogs food to Sams club/Costco from Iams $15. savings
    -switched cats food from Iams to costco $10 savings
    -switched 3 meds to generic $150. savings
    -used coupon to get rid of video store bal. $28. savings
    -no more rentals fron Demand or video store $30. savings
    -switched dogs arthritis pills to generic $30. savings
    -started using my cvs coupons (red box) $3 today alone
    -use the summer clothes I have ????
    -don't buy w/o coupons ever-hundreds
    -season repair on lawnmwer saved $50.
    -grow seedlings at home-hopefully lots
    -give DS money for grad. instead of party he doesn't want-100's

Facing possible job loss-time to get tough.

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is really hard for me to come up with something. I'm still learning how to sew, so I can't make something instead of buy. I rarely use the car, so that's off the table. I don't buy food out. We already have slashed our meat consumption to the minimum I can get away with. I already hang out almost everything. The TV's rarely on, and the idea of cutting computer time...well

This is what I've come up with so far

I'm getting pork fat, I ordered 10 pounds, so I'm not sure how much lard that will make. But I'll be saving money there. I'll have to let you know how much I saved after I do it.

And

I need new dish cloths, I'm going to try to weave some out of old clothing, so $3-$4 there.

I'll keep checking in to see if anyone adds any new ideas that I can use.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I agree Polly, it's hard! I had to think of things that I'd actually have to make time and effort to remember to do not all the usual stuff that's routine to me right now. But I'm very distracted these days with the baby so I'm not in my usual 95% frugal mode. I'm more like 75% frugal mode. Anyone who is in 95% frugal mode will have a hard time thinking of anything else.
    I'm stalking the thread for more ideas too. ~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds great! I'll have to think hard to come up with things too. I already do a lot of things like line dry all my clothes, wash in cold, use less product ... hm...

I'm curious what you mean by this:

Quote Originally Posted by nuisance26 View Post
    2. only drink coffee that has been made with reused grounds
    How will the grounds get used the first time?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by acidcookie View Post
    Sounds great! I'll have to think hard to come up with things too. I already do a lot of things like line dry all my clothes, wash in cold, use less product ... hm...

I'm curious what you mean by this:

How will the grounds get used the first time?
    LOL I was just going to post asking this!! I have a french press. I do a teaspoon of grounds per day:

Day 1: 1 tsp fresh grounds
    Day 2: add 1 tsp fresh to the 1 tsp leftover
    Day 3: add 1 tsp fresh to the 2 tsp leftover
    Day 4: pitch it and start over.

Thanks for the topic, nuisance, I'll have to brainstorm on this one. I was curious about how you will do your leftover coffee, as well.
    "If you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, march down there and light it yourself."

Car loan (ugh, again!)
    Husband's debt to work on, mine is gone except car loan. w00t!

Yah, I suck at this money stuff, I know. That's why I'm here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~DH makes a batch in the coffee press, I pour his into a thermos and then pour a bit more water over the grounds. Free decaf! Otherwise I go through a bag of decaf coffee a month @ $6+. ~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

mine is easy - promote independence with your kids my oldest dd 20 is moving out next month .
    she is strong willed and a bit tough to live with esp with just one bathroom for us all .

since she leaves everything on when she leaves - which is usually after i am gone ( lights Tvs AC ) wastes water -and uses too many towels and too much clothes worn 10 min and then washed she wastes shampoo and toothpaste etc etc - i figure i will probably save an easy 50 a month -

and she admits she will learn to not waste stuff when she is paying for it and its not just me nagging her to " annoy her ".
    although she buys alot of her own beauty stuff now and still wastes it at least she cannot blame anyone else and reality will hit that its her wasting it .

woo hoo
    *~Debbi~*
    Happily Married Mom to 5 ; PT Home Care RN
    Living with FMS

“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more;
    Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”
    Swedish Proverb

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Getting Gazelle like 7/1/10
    Paid off 6 CC's totalling $6807 in 2010
    Paid off car 9000
    Quit 2nd Job for health reasons so going slower .
    purchased used car in cash 5000
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Last month, I made a couple of extra payments. For our truck insurance and fire insurance. Each has a service fee each month. You can either pay the balance in full when the bill comes, or keep going monthly and deal with that nasty monthly fee.

I been playing the coffee grounds game for some time now. Just start with 2 scoops, and for each additional pot, add one more scoop. End of day, head that day's coffee grinds out to the garden. Coffee does go into a thermos, so the pot can be shut off.

I am also going to buy a $ 1 bag of marked down veggies approximately each week. Today's bag yielded a head of cauliflower, a seedless cuke, 4 tomatoes, 2 green peppers, and parsnips. I am making sure to use up everything from this bag, in a few days or less. Which means, I can leave the canned veggies on the shelf for a while longer.

I am working the second freezer down. Tracking my groceries tight, for this month. I am buying what I have to. Average so far, is about $ 28 a week. It would not be that high, but hubby's work lunches are starting to add up. And I can't get him to take a lunch box yet.

Freed up a few dollars so I can work the stockpile for canned goods and boxed items this month. As long as I don't put anything in the second freezer, I am golden I am not counting this stuff, in my regular groceries. I did find some B1G1 cereal
    ( store brand ) for him today. I am NOT liking the price of groceries. Stuff I haven't bought for awhile, gives me sticker shock when I do have to buy it again.

Been finding good deals at garage sales But I won't buy, unless it is something we will be using.

I did do some line drying this month, but we have had a LOT of rain. 3rd wettest spring on record here. As long as the OWB is on, it heats our hot water. Which keeps our KWH down. And I still track the reading daily

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hubs just bought a Walgreens card for $20 - but that gets you a ton of 10% discounts AND dropped the price of his BP med to $12 for a 90 day supply (which costs $50 from the mail-in pharmacy via insurance) It will also decrease the $$ I spend for the three OTC meds I take (sleeping pills for my daytime sleeping, acid reducer and allergy pill)
    Baseball season is almost over for us - which will save half a tank of gas per week!!!

Registered User greekislandgirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Some great ideas in this thread! I'm also in the "already so frugal I can't think of anything else to do" but I guess there's always something.

I'm currently using up my stockpile because we're moving soon. That's not a permanent fix but for the moment wow, is it ever saving me money! I'm averaging around €4/week on food instead of €60.

We also have stockpiled non-drinkable water for when the water is cut off (we have electric pump) and I'd more or less forgotten about it sitting in storage. I'm going to start using it to flush toilets and wash clothes. I'll probably wait another few weeks to start that because water doesn't last that long and I don't want to be stuck if the electricity does go out.

We are super super frugal on HBAs but we use a lot of dental products. I'm going to try to use less mouthwash, I believe that the amount you use is less important than how well you swish it around! I also use too much toothpaste and dental floss. Considering the actual portion of the dental floss that is actually used is like 6", and I usually use about 2 feet of it so I can wind it around my fingers to achieve the most perfect tension, yeah there's probably something I could do about that one.

We stopped eating fruit a while ago as it's not "meal related", it's sort of an extra. I HATE this one but we'll keep it up for another month until summer fruits are cheap. Can't wait for apricots!!

I finally started turning the burner off before the food is finished cooking. Residual heat is usually enough to keep things going for another 3-4 minutes in the pressure cooker or 1-2 minutes in a pan or regular pot. If I'm cooking an egg, I turn the heat off when I flip the egg over.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hmm, this really is hard.
    School is almost over so that will mean less driving.
    Teens will be home for summer so need to enforce snacking and electricity usage.
    Water for everyone with lunch.
    Absolutely no drinks or snacks at the ballpark or soccer field.
    Mom to Emma, Spencer, Connor, Lily,Fletcher, Amelia and Adeline.

Mortgage $0
    EF 3 mo income barring
    anymore emergencies

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast