Being able to do things differently and/or see things diffrently - is frugal
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Being able to do things differently and/or see things diffrently - is frugal

So I was thinking about flexibility and knowing how do do things differently is frugal and would come in handy in down economic times.

Knowing that vinegar could be used to clean instead of store bought cleaners would come in handy if the price of cleaners was to much or the stores were out or low.

I can make mac and cheese five different ways depending on what is on hand or available or cheap.
    each needing different stuff, white sauce method, box, evaporated milk method, Velveeta method, and I have a recipe for Alfredo that used chicken broth instead of milk so I bet you could use Chicken broth in place of milk in a mac and cheese recipe but I have not tried it.

Only have long sleeves in the clearance or thrift store or hand me down box but need short sleeves can you make short sleeves out of the long sleeve shirts.

Toddler needs pj's and you have a tight pair of pj bottoms with some sewing you can turn them into pj bottoms for your toddler. No matching top? maybe a they have a ti shirt in thier drawer with a stain that could become the pj top. Or make a night gown for the toddler with an adult shirt possible from your drawer.

You can save money and have what you need by looking at things differently and knowing how to do things differently.

Like I tell Little Miss when she say "There is nothing to eat" I say don't look at what isn't there (your favorite treat LOL) look to see what you can make with what is in there.

So learn alternative ways to do and make things and look at things differently.
    "Everyday as your walking down the street, everybody that you meet has an original point of view" -Arthur PBS

Imagine - Wife of 20 years to Hubby
    Mom to Buddy (son 17) and Little Miss ( daughter 13)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

you r so correct it is easy to say but for some it is a different mind set. dawn dish liquid is for washing dishes and treating stains. veggies from left over become soup, sweat pants with holey knees or stains become shorts in the summer time. Raise the shade for light rather than turning on the light.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great post! We were challenged at church recently in this way. A missions team that had worked in Haiti was giving a report. They showed a pillowcase dress and urged us to make these to send to the mission. Just use an old pillowcase and open up the other end, so that it becomes a tube. Then use ribbon or scarves, or whatever to sew on straps. They said so many little girls over there are wearing these, and they are airy and cool for them. I never would have thought to reuse old pillow cases like this. Plus, they were cute!
    Spiritual:
    "You are fearfully and wonderfully made." Please... respect life.

Financial:
    Debt free, hoping to stay that way!

MY BLOG: glorybug.wordpress.com

1. Keep on writing.
    2. Get some balance in my life.
    3. Lose weight. Hopefully 20# this year.
    4. Continue to be looking for how God wants to use me this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by forHISglory View Post
    Great post! We were challenged at church recently in this way. A missions team that had worked in Haiti was giving a report. They showed a pillowcase dress and urged us to make these to send to the mission. Just use an old pillowcase and open up the other end, so that it becomes a tube. Then use ribbon or scarves, or whatever to sew on straps. They said so many little girls over there are wearing these, and they are airy and cool for them. I never would have thought to reuse old pillow cases like this. Plus, they were cute!
    Pillowcase dress are cute. there are several tutorial and instructions on the net on how to make them.

I have also seen cute dress made out of men shirts. Again several different tutorials and instructions on the net.

These are good things to know to have in your frugal knowledge bank.

I use to make Little Miss baby dresses by taking a onsie and adding some material to make the skirt.

I once saw a blog where a lady used the onsie her daughter was toddler and didn't wear hem anymore since she was potty training. so the mom used the old onsies and added material sewn to the the bottom to make the skirt then cut off the snap part and bingo a big potty trained/training girl dress.
    skirt
    "Everyday as your walking down the street, everybody that you meet has an original point of view" -Arthur PBS

Imagine - Wife of 20 years to Hubby
    Mom to Buddy (son 17) and Little Miss ( daughter 13)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I recently used white vinegar and water to clean my kitchen floor, it looks great.

I hate the unknown chemicals in cleaning supplies so I'm sticking with the vinegar.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like to take an empty spray bottle and fill it almost all the way up with water and then add downy to it and shake.

That is my febreeze. Since I use coupons and shop the sales to get the downy dirt cheap it is really cost effective. Pennies a bottle and I can go to town with it without worrying about the cost.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What an excellent post!

Just cleaned my counter with vinegar-water mix... I hate the smell of pine sol. I have some left under the counter, so am thinking I'll "make myself" use it up, just to not waste it! Can't wait for it to be just the vinegar cleaner, though!
    Kace - married to Dh for 14 years

Always pinchin' pennies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Vinegar, baking soda, cheap bleach, comet....any inexpensive cleaner is what I use. I've used vinegar and water to clean my linoleum floors for many years. I keep a spray bottle mixed with a little bleach and water to clean and sanitize with. I like to put a few drops of Dawn dish soap in it.

Old tshirts are great for cleaning rags as well as old socks. When my kids were little they liked sleeping in mommy and daddy's hand me down tshirts. Socks are great used when your staining furniture or wood work.

Cook from scratch and if you don't know how...now is the time to start searching this forum and googling others to learn how. Its not that hard to learn the basic skills.
    Wife to Danny for 30 1/2 wonderful years.

Mother of 2
    Ashley 27...
    Dustin 26...

Blessed beyond all measure.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default my daughter specfically asks her dad for one of his tshirts to sleep in at night...

she absolutely loves them.. she says they are the most comfortable things evah...

Quote Originally Posted by heartofmine View Post
    Vinegar, baking soda, cheap bleach, comet....any inexpensive cleaner is what I use. I've used vinegar and water to clean my linoleum floors for many years. I keep a spray bottle mixed with a little bleach and water to clean and sanitize with. I like to put a few drops of Dawn dish soap in it.

Old tshirts are great for cleaning rags as well as old socks. When my kids were little they liked sleeping in mommy and daddy's hand me down tshirts. Socks are great used when your staining furniture or wood work.

Cook from scratch and if you don't know how...now is the time to start searching this forum and googling others to learn how. Its not that hard to learn the basic skills.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thank Goodness we at FV have learned little tricks and using each others suggestions to maintain our frugal lives !

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I call this being creative, and thinking 'outside the box'. It's a necessity I think. My question is, how much could you do if the Internet went down due to cyber attack? I try to have a base amount of supplies and basic books on hand so I have instructions for doing things. Though truth be told, I could figure out a lot of things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this, but I use clothes-pins for chip bag clips. And again nothing new, but also re-use cereal bags for freezing. We go thru TONS of cereal and crackers, so TONS of bags! The cracker sized bags are perfect size for packing a hero sandwich for lunches. Cutting them in half is NOT an option! LOL!!

Also whenever I shop at places like JCP's, or Kohls, I do not hesitate to ask them for their largest bags instead of several smaller ones. These I use for garbage bags. If I told you it's been at least 2 years since I had to buy a box of trash bags, would you call me a "shopaholic"?? HA!

Another goodie that saves me a ton>> If your store offers free gift wrapping for your purchases, ask them for the gift wrap, boxes, bows, etc. for each item you bought to take home instead of them wrapping for you. I frequent a great store called Beall's, that is only in FL. They always have a beautiful asst of wrapping papers, from new baby to wedding styles. I have collected a huge lot of wrap for ANY occasion! I plan on schoolshopping there, so will be stopping by the station for sure.

For the little girls in your life >> Take an empty shoebox, gather decorative papers, fabric scraps, eyelet ribbon, and anything else you might have around to make doll house rooms. The eyelet makes great curtains hung on a tootpick curtain rod. Use empty thread spools for tables and chairs. So much fun searching, and a great way to get their imaginations growing.

The round style oatmeal boxes can be covered, and make great banks with an easy cut slot in the top. Try making animals for the banks. Again scraps of fabrics, pipe cleaners, googley eyes, etc.

Do those ideas fall under the topic? I have a tendency to wander OT sometimes. ...sorry if i did!

Theresa

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What great ideas! Thank you for sharing!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia View Post
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this, but I use clothes-pins for chip bag clips. And again nothing new, but also re-use cereal bags for freezing. We go thru TONS of cereal and crackers, so TONS of bags! The cracker sized bags are perfect size for packing a hero sandwich for lunches. Cutting them in half is NOT an option! LOL!!

Also whenever I shop at places like JCP's, or Kohls, I do not hesitate to ask them for their largest bags instead of several smaller ones. These I use for garbage bags. If I told you it's been at least 2 years since I had to buy a box of trash bags, would you call me a "shopaholic"?? HA!

Another goodie that saves me a ton>> If your store offers free gift wrapping for your purchases, ask them for the gift wrap, boxes, bows, etc. for each item you bought to take home instead of them wrapping for you. I frequent a great store called Beall's, that is only in FL. They always have a beautiful asst of wrapping papers, from new baby to wedding styles. I have collected a huge lot of wrap for ANY occasion! I plan on schoolshopping there, so will be stopping by the station for sure.

For the little girls in your life >> Take an empty shoebox, gather decorative papers, fabric scraps, eyelet ribbon, and anything else you might have around to make doll house rooms. The eyelet makes great curtains hung on a tootpick curtain rod. Use empty thread spools for tables and chairs. So much fun searching, and a great way to get their imaginations growing.

The round style oatmeal boxes can be covered, and make great banks with an easy cut slot in the top. Try making animals for the banks. Again scraps of fabrics, pipe cleaners, googley eyes, etc.

Do those ideas fall under the topic? I have a tendency to wander OT sometimes. ...sorry if i did!

Theresa
    I use the resealable tortilla bags for leftover taco meat. That way I KNOW exactly what kind of meat that is in the freezer. And 2 tbsp Dawn, 2 tbsps Amonia in a 16 ounce spray bottle filled with water makes a great all purpose cleaner.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great ideas! Love new ways to use items
    Frugalista Mama to DD 14 & DS 10
    Crazy Boxer *Sadie*
    **Debt Free Minus the House**

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast