Frugal Village Forums banner

I was so stressed today at walmart today...

8K views 67 replies 42 participants last post by  peanut 
#1 ·
we went grocery shopping today after work and i can tell you i was shocked at how the prices have gone up.....i spent 108.00 and i realy didnt buy a whole lot....we payed and i looked at dh and said...i am gonna start having to being the food police around the house....seriously...I don't know what i am going to do...tomorrow...i am going to save alot and stocking up on canned food...

#5 ·
well ya know

spaghettios alone were .98
spaghettios with meatballs were 98 a can...I couldnt get over that...why would they be the same price...daughter wanted the spaghettios alone but said nope we will get the meatballs and the dog can have those... hehe....seriously i just looked at dh and said no more...I refuse to buy stuff that we dont need anymore...no more chips unless b1g1 free type of stuff....seriously just cant afford it anymore...

#6 ·
Noticed this on bag of popcorn last week. It had been $1.93 for ages.... last week $2.29 and I never see the bulk bagged popcorn on sale (still a super affordable snack but prices are rising.....)

I paid .71 today for one apple today. *thud*

I am doing alot more going to multiple stores (safeway and albies today...) just picking up what I can get on loss leaders. Hitting Fred Meyer tomorrow for grapes and peaches before they sale ends. Luckily I have all these stores within a mile of my house :)

#7 ·
Just a example: Something that caught my eye a few day's ago in SamsClub they raised their price from $18.00 to $24.49 for Birdseed only in a 4 month span..I guess I won't be able to feed my birds this winter..I see the a huge increase in food prices in my area..It makes me sick! I've been going crazy getting the best deals to stockup on..I have mentioned this in a another post that this is my focus to keep adding everything that I use food and non-food items..I feel everyone that can spare their extra money to prepare yourself as best you can to make your life a little easier for what the future might hold for us..ie..goverment collapse,food shortages(this going to be reality with all the natural disasters) clothing so on and so forth..Another example is I just paid $789.00 for 220 gallons of #2 heating fuel....a $1.00 more per gallon than what I paid a year ago! Just to much to take it all in some times..HUGS to my cyber family..

#11 ·
I so agree...

we have oil but also have wood back up....we own 3 acres of wooded land...so i told dh he needs to please will you go out and cut down 40 trees so they can be drying for winter...He of course said yes he would but hasnt done it yet....I am gonna remind him today...40 trees...they are not huge trees but just taking 40 you wont even notice they are gone....cause i told him to move around and not take them from one place...You do what you gotta do...hoping to purchase cord or two also to get us through the winter without having to buy the oil...I just can't justify it anymore..just like at the grocery store.....while paying i told him...i refuse to be taken advantage of just because someone thinks we need it...if we can go without we are going to...

#9 ·
For feeding your birds just get some chicken scratch, it's the same thing and my birds love it.

Stocking up will definitely help and cooking from scratch more too. I put several things back today, it's just not lookin' too good!

#10 ·
My budget has seen the rise in prices. That and my children have been eating way more lately. Hubby thought I was just buying less and skimping on recipes until he found out that was not true and how much I have been needing to spend on food. I can see him taking a smaller serving then he use to and then longing for seconds at dinner but holding off to make sure the children don't want/need it. Generally there is none left for him. It warms my heart at his thoughtfulness while it breaks my heart at the sometime KWIM?

Side note I did not see a jump inprices this week just a gradual increase over the past year. The register total always has letting out a sigh.

#12 ·
The prices of necessities has risen making life more stressful but thankfully we can manage where some others don't have skills and knowledge to cope. Some of our friends eat out everyday, either for lunch or dinner or both !! They ask me to go often but there is only a scant room for eating out.

#13 ·
I've been taking advantage of almost anything that saves me money---

one of our groceries near here has a 5% discount on your entire purchase if you are over 50 and have AAA. Tada. (we got AAA when our kids began travelling long distances...and we do too, to go up north.

One of our local places keeps sending dh (and me) an email that has a coupon for $5 off for a 50 dollar purchase there.

I'll go to one of these places on different weeks and get their loss leaders and just what I truly need, and save a bit. Feels like at least I'm cutting the bill back to what it WOULD have been just a short time ago. :uhh:

I'd advise, if you're getting H&BA at the grocery, change to the Dollar tree for those items. Also, Aldi's and Sav-a-lot are a little cheaper for your food.

It's getting bad.

#14 ·
I actually lowered my grocery budget by $40 this year. Everytime I go to the grocery store I can't help but think the total seems awfully high. I do not purchase junk food and very rarely processed foods. The only junk food I allow is bags of popcorn which I season at home.

Right now I am happy that the grocery store has expanded itself and there are more lower or store brand items that are just as good of quality. I have even started to buy the store brand olive oil.

This post is reminding me to go over my utility bill. Really is frustrating.

#16 ·
I have noticed the same thing..........our milk has stayed the same for awhile and unless it is a loss leader I don't buy much else in the summer.........eating out of my garden.

There is one special bread that I buy..........and it has taken a couple of good jumps, so didn't buy it. Back to the bakery outlet I will go...........but I really liked it for sandwiches. It has too many seeds in it for me to mess with buying them all and make it. DARN!!

#17 ·
Today i went to shaws and save alot..

and spent $60 but so much more...i use to be able to go to walmart and save becausie there prices were lower but not anymore....

today with coupons i was able to get canned chicken for .50 a can...
i also picked up the spahgetti sauce on sale at shaws for $10/10 and dh asked me why so much sauce and i said you think 10 bad... I plan on purchasing 20-30 more jars before it goes off sale...I figure with 30 jars...I will be set until it goes on sale again...no more buying items unless they are on sale....

Reactions: mamamia
#18 ·
I cannot even think of the last time I had a serious grocery shop - just using the grab and go for the past two months - too scary. Thankfully DH is a great shopper and does it all - except stockpiling. I need to dive back in to make sure that we are stocked before the prices go even higher. Scary times that we need to control!!

#19 ·
It stresses me out too. The sale items have been for the most part useless to us as well. I don't care if little debbie cakes go on sale for $1 a box, I'd rather save on eggs or cheese or milk - something we can actually use :(

#20 ·
so tonight for supper is

a bag of knorr lipton sides rice with a bag of steamed veggies added to make it go further....we also have an ample supply of porkchops...and good old fashioned water to drink...

#21 ·
Our produce has been staying pretty stable, it seems, but it also seems that cheese is higher every week. I was excited to find one of our stores has boneless rump roast for 2.29 lb this week - it seems like lately there just haven't been any good beef sales, so I'm taking advantage of this. I bought three last night and may try to get another three on Tuesday. I'll crowbar them into the freezer somehow.

At this point I don't even try to keep an even keel for grocery costs - with pricing rising, stocking up is imperative if there's a good deal, so some weeks, like this one, will be very high. I hope it balances out in the end, but groceries have been predicted to greatly increase in cost for quite a while now.

#22 ·
Food prices, UP

EVEN THE DOLLAR STORE PRICES ARE UP !!

Especially on the food items. I go to the Dollar Store, usually once or twice a week and I have seen a steady uptick in their prices. The Dollar Stores in my town seem to be going a little upscale, carrying more brand name items, along with the brand name price. They are also really expanding their food sections. They are carrying more frozen foods, also. We have a $Deals store that is a much better bargain than the Dollar Store. It's getting harder and harder to save a buck !!

#23 ·
I'm trying to restock my canned goods and even our Save a Lot has higher prices than usual. So, I tried my hand at home canning some green beans. I was surprised at how easy it was and how much fun me, mom and my big brother had. I got 14 quarts and my big bro got 14 quarts. Monday I am going to mom's to can tomatoes.
I don't have the extra cash to do a big stock up on food so I am buying a few extras ea. time I shop and staying within my grocery budget. I buy a bag of rice and a bag of dried beans ea. time I go to the store.
I am planning to hit the Salvage Grocery store A.S.A.P. for some good deals.
It's time to make up some homemade mixes like Cricketlegs gravy mix (the best ). And some homemade brownie mix. I am also going back to homemade laundry detergent for most of our clothes. D.H. needs regular detergent on his work clothes.
I will be making homemade snacks again. Usually one cake, cobbler, cookies or brownies per week.
I continue to do my best with coupons, but the coupons are not as good as they used to be. Ex: $1.00 off THREE of somethng.....But I am back to being dilegent because I have to. And I know how good it will feel to be totally stocked back up. We are figuring on some bad weather this winter and I want to be prepared for blizzards and electical outages.
If only I could get out of our cellphone contracts without having to pay their stupid penalty....

Ahhh, the coffee prices are driving me crazy. $15 for the big can of folgers....not to mention $4 for most cereals. I plan to do alot of oatmeal and cream of wheat for my family.

I love reading the ideas here and getting inspiration. And being frugal really does empower you.

#24 ·
Everything has a bigger price or a smaller size.:dis: I took my kids camping this weekend (cheap entertainment, right). Anyway the instant coffee I take used to have 7 pkgs and now has 6! Grrrr

#25 ·
You do what you gotta do...

today i plan on going to town and buying the citronella oil that is 75% off at shaws....$1 something for a big bottle...i have been told that it will work in kerosene lamps...so i will buy it...Ya just never know and if need be someday....if i need a light and well the power is out...i am set...

#46 ·
today i plan on going to town and buying the citronella oil that is 75% off at shaws....$1 something for a big bottle...i have been told that it will work in kerosene lamps...so i will buy it...Ya just never know and if need be someday....if i need a light and well the power is out...i am set...
thanks for the tip. I saw some citronella oil cheap.....somewhere....thinking..thinking...thinking.........
I do need a few kerosene lamps. I should have kept the ones my grandmother had. I was such a city girl then!!!
UGH!!

#26 ·
I went to Aldi's yesterday and I noticed that even their prices have gone up on some products. I miss the days when I could feed two of us very very well for under 50 bucks a week. The stores here never have sales on meats or produce.The coupons I can get are usually for processed foods or stuff we dont use anyway. Struggling to stay within a budget for our food and household needs is becoming very very difficult.

#27 ·
Last year I noticed a rack at the produce section selling produce that were almost past their prime at a reduced rate. I used to be able to pick up a package of squash for around $1.00. Lately by the time I get to the grocery store the rack is always cleaned out of any produce.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.