Frugal Village Forums banner

It's nice to have rich friends sometimes. ;)

2K views 28 replies 25 participants last post by  peanut 
#1 ·
A friend better off than I am had her KitchenAid break down. Her son, being a good son, went to the US and brought her back a new super duper model. She, meanwhile, was talking about taking hers in to get fixed. I told her if it was less than $100 to fix it, I'd buy it off her. So...as of today I have a new KitchenAid mixer! She is bringing it over, with the book and accessories, later.

DH, I should point out is not impressed! He does not think I need a KitchenAid. He does not like KitchenAid. I'm not sure exactly what his problem is with KitchenAid, but I do know it will be nice not to have to knead bread by hand anymore. The arthritis in my wrists and hands makes it painful. So he's going to have to put up with $5 a loaf bread (for the healthy stuff he wants and I require) or a KitchenAid to knead the bread. (A bread machine is a one purpose machine I have no use for. A KitchenAid can be used for lots of things. I'm all for multi-purpose appliances. :) )

I've cleared off the kitchen countertop to make room for it. So that shouldn't be a problem. Just waiting for it to arrive... :)

So have you been the recipient of a wealthier friend's cast offs? What were they? And how did it work out for you in the end? I'm hoping my KitchenAid lasts for awhile yet!

See less See more
#2 ·
I haven't been the recipient of anything lately, but I just wanted to say what a great score!

I got my Kitchen-Aid mixer 3 years ago, and it was one of the best things I've ever bought! I use it at least 3 times a week, making bread, muffins, and any other baking I do. I think since I've gotten it, I've bought maybe 3 loaves of bread.

Enjoy it!

#3 ·
I am so glad you are getting one. I love my kitchen aid! It helps me make so many things, did I say I love my kitchen aid?...LOL

Hope you love yours as much as I do mine, it helps you, blesses you and you both enjoy all the wonderful goodies you can make with it . Arthritis is not fun, and this should help you.

Hugs and thanks for sharing your blessing. It made me smile after a rough day. :)

Reactions: peanut
#4 ·
I used to get hand-me-down computers from my parents but then the grandkids got older and now all hand-me-downs go to them, HA!

That's ok, when I have my own grandkids I'm sure I'll spoil them more than my kids.

My mom and I do make sure the other gets to go through any Goodwill donations before drop off. We hold our stuff until we can get together to do swaps and then drop the rest off together....and then shop for more....*oops did I just admit to that?*

Congrats on your kitchen aid!!! They are beautiful and useful!! I am very jealous.

#6 ·
Geesh you mean rich friends give you stuff? The ones I know bum stuff from me....and sadly I'm honestly serious about that. I guess that is the reason they have money and I don't. LOL

...congrats on the kitchenaid. I've not got one either but I'd love to have one.

#7 ·
Thanks everyone. I just think DH is against appliances on principle. He also didn't like it when I bought the Foreman grill at a garage sale for $10. I'd use it more often, but he says he doesn't like cleaning it. Then there's the yogurt maker we use constantly that he didn't want either. I think his aversion is to cleaning them. He does the dishes here.

krbshappy: so cool about the computers. You reminded me we got one or two from my parents over the years also. And so have the kids.

#9 ·
I must be a minority but I thought the KA took up too much counter space for its worth, but then I got it for free and didn't (at the time) appreciate its worth. I sold mine on Craig's List and had over 100 inquiries for it! So they MUST be popular. Now that I have more counter space at the new house, I'm earmarking my piggybank fund for another Kitchenaid mixer, only this time I'll get the guard that keeps the flour from being flung out of the bowl and coating the entire kitchen in flour! :) Congrats on your rare find.

#10 ·
Lucky you, good score.

#11 ·
I'm so happy for you I wish that I had a friend give me her kitchenaide!!!! Congrats to you & enjoy making lots of yummies w/it!!!

#12 ·
Congratulations!! What is it going to take to fix it? Have fun!!

#16 ·
Congrats. And enjoy the new kitchen toy.......I love toys!!

Yes, I "used to' come home with my car crammed of stuff
from my sister.........all sorts of garden plants (many unusual and sort of 'rare), rototiller, tons of clothes.

Loved it when I was there and she was cleaning closets.
Got a brand new Woolrich jacket that she 'didn't like"....WHOOT!

I would also ask her to 'save me things'.........one was denim........came home with a 30 gallon garbage bag CRAMMED full of denim.......

Those times are gone............

#19 ·
I live within 20 miles of where they make the Kitchen Aid mixers...I was able to buy a refurbished one for just over a hundred dollars..wonderful investment...Since you have arthirits one thing I would suggest making in it is meatloaf...I mix mine up with my KA because the cold hamburger and eggs just about kill my hands!!! plus everything gets mixed up really well and really fast!!! Good luck with it...my friend makes noodles with hers..requires a special attachment of course...:)

#22 ·
I wanted to say that my parents are fairly well off as are my SO's parents. They often let us "pantry shop" at their houses. They often buy more food than they need and will insist that we answer questions like, "Do you need any paper towels?" and "How are you on granola bars?"

I also get handmade quilts, free yarn and lessons to do crocheting and free fruits and vegetables from various gardens. I've got a stock of jarred jams and pickled peppers. They don't need to do this stuff but they enjoy it and they make so much they give them away to friends and family.

I've got a free crock pot in the kitchen from them and a free hand mixer. I should say with my blog I'll get freebies that I then share with them as well.

I like to think of it as in the old days when people canned and jarred all sorts of things and shared among everyone (except for the pantry store thing, which is different). I hope that some time I'll learn how to jar something. That would be after I manage to grow something edible. ;)

#23 ·
maybe I'm crazy

i was just having this same conversation with a co-worker not 10 minutes ago.

I had a kitchen aid mixer but I didn't like so I gave mine to goodwill several years ago.

hope you like yours

#24 ·
Yeah, I've since been searching online and seen very mixed reviews on this model...or the model I think it is. It's a bowl lift, but not a tilt. And I think it's either the Professional 500 or 600 series, which can be a bit finicky depending on the year it was made and whether the gear housing cover is plastic or metal! I'll have to wait and see... it still hasn't been delivered... My friend has not had time to get over and pick it up from the repairman yet. I hope she does soon, because I'm getting itchy. She dropped off the bowls, beaters and instruction manual yesterday. :)

#25 ·
YES, rich friends are great! Picking up a TV tomorrow that has nothing wrong with it and the price is right - FREE. They are just installing flat screens ALL throughout the house. The TV we are picking up is newer than any that we have now; so it is an upgrade.

#26 ·
Yes I am quite often and I love her so. A recliner, Stand up pic frames, a gas grill she bought for us as a present, 2 patio sets, curtains, a stove top griddle. A many more things that I can not think of off hand. Yes I would love her just as much if i did not receive handyme downs. I think it is perk because hubby is underpaid. (he works for her)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.