Frugal Village Forums banner

What good prices are you finding?

3K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  JanieD 
#1 ·
We all know groceries are going up. What deals are you finding?

* Dole sliced pineapple large cans $1.00, plus .50 coupons off 2 = $.75 each
* Got Sadie some dog bones on the reduced rack for 1/2 price (outer box was open but inner packaging was sealed)
* Apples for .78 per pound
* Whole wheat bread for $1.25
* 2# loaf tillamook cheese $4.88

#3 ·
It's harder to find good deals here. I keep looking for the deals and coupons that were around last fall, when I got free oatmeal, canned fruit for $0.49 a can, etc. Don't think we're going to have those deals this year.

#7 ·
Ripe bananas $.39/lb
Chicken Wings $1.19/lb
Chicken Quarters $.47/lb
Cream Cheese $1
Pork Loin $1.99/lb
MinuteMaid Juice Boxes $2.99 - $2 Q so $.99
Pears $.50/lb
Pineapple $.99 each (fresh whole)
Cauliflower $.99
Cabbage - $.13/lb

Just a few things - the meats were mostly on markdowns (except the pork) but still, it's good prices, I think. :)

#9 ·
Wow , those are fantastic prices. Good job.

#10 ·
Sunday I got whole fryers for .59 per lb. and boneless skinless chicken breasts for 1.27 per lb. Saturday I got 5 lb. flour for .79 each and sugar for 1.69 for a 4 lb. bag and large eggs for .99 dozen; canned tomatoes for .39 can. Fixed up for a little while. Read a yahoo article this morning on how much the prices are going to be up in 6 to 9 months. Scary.

#14 ·
this past week I got
gala apples .59lb
bread 1.29 1.5lb
cool whip .38<--surplus store and it is the Target store brand, I bought 20 :)
bunch green onions .39

#15 ·
Mixed bunch of apples here are 97 cents a pound. Green cabbage is 39 cents a pound. Ground beef patties are $1.88 this week.

I generally wait and buy meat when it is under $2 a pound and then stock up the freezer with enough for at least two weeks, if not more. I don't mind what it is as long as it isn't tongue or organs. ;) Then I figure out what to make with it from veggies and staples that are on sale.

I can usually get away with only paying $20 every two weeks for meat.

#17 ·
Doing some freezer shopping at Aldi's this Sunday. Oct 30th. New ad just came in the mail, Butter @1.99 pound, down from 2.79 , Cream Cheese or neufchatel, 8 oz. 89c down from 1,49, Spiral hams 1.69 pound,stuffing mix for the pantry chicken or cornbread flavors, 89c a box.
Another local grocery has progresso soups 10 for $10,also a few other pantry items for buy one get one or 10 for 10. I dont need a lot of staples other than milk and bread this week, so will be doing a stock up shop rather than grocery shopping.

#19 ·
Just went to Aldi this morning. Got several bags of apples for about 1.50 a bag, bags of pears for .99, a whole pineapple for 1.59, the oinions were a good price also just can't remember what they were. I bought butter , but I see I should have waited as the OP said it will be lower this weekend. Maybe I will pick up some more then. I may get more apples and dehyrate them.

#21 ·
I was at WM yesterday and they had a basket up front, anything in basket @ $1 ea....bought 4 jars of 28oz planters peanut butter.

#24 ·
Would anyone who has the Aldi butter mind telling me ingredients on back? Thanks greatly appreciate!

#26 ·
I have the unsalted Aldi's one

Ingredients

Pasteurized cream, natural flavorings

Side note: Aldi's unsalted butter is $1.99 a pound while Land O lakes is $4 a pound in my area. other store brands tend to be around $2.50- $3 a pound around here

Reactions: HappyMama
#25 ·
Superstore has had a lot of great deals lately. I've been getting juice boxes on sale, along with coffee and bread has been good too.

A couple of weeks in a row, I snagged meat for 30% off that was way before its expiration date. Twice, I got a nice 9lb ham for $14 and twice, I got some meat to cut up for stew that was cheaper than stewing beef.

Last week, yogurt was a heck of a deal. Milk's still at about $4.39 per 4L, but I'll take it considering it was $4.59 for a long time. Lasagna noodles were $1.50 a box and granola bars were on sale, too.

I imagine this is all for the holidays coming up, so I'm expecting prices to skyrocket again.

#30 ·
Great deals - stock up while you can for the dead of winter, post New Years when there are NO sales to be found especially on groceries. :(

I'm finding shopping the ethnic aisles of the grocery store cheaper than the specialty gluten free, etc. aisles. For example, we found tapioca starch much cheaper in the ethnic aisle.

Also, I'm finding Chinese/Asian vegetables much cheaper than North American ones. We'll be eating international for awhile. :D
Thats awesome! I find that my sister (who does gf diet also) has no issues whenever we eat out at a Chinese restaurant. We go to any North American style and she has a long list of things she can't eat.

Score those deals any way you can :)

#28 ·
I'm finding shopping the ethnic aisles of the grocery store cheaper than the specialty gluten free, etc. aisles. For example, we found tapioca starch much cheaper in the ethnic aisle.

Also, I'm finding Chinese/Asian vegetables much cheaper than North American ones. We'll be eating international for awhile. :D

#29 ·
$1.00 can of Brooks chili beans
$1.50 can of Ragu Spaghetti sauce
Pantene Shampoo $3.59 but had coupon $3.00 when u buy two!
Apples Braeburn $1.79lb.
Kroger cocoa $1.00 box
Frozen corn $1.00 bag got 2 had coupon 40 cents off!

#31 ·
These are the deals I found around Thanksgiving.
Land O Lakes butter $2.50
3 lbs Granny Smith apple $2.99
bone in chicken breast .99 per lb
"name brand" pasta 16oz $1 (assorted types)
Merita whole wheat bread $1.44 (bogo, not required to buy 2)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.