Frugal Village Forums banner

Anyone trying to not spend as much these last couple months?

3K views 26 replies 24 participants last post by  rebecca 
#1 ·
After going through our basic billing cycles/pays and impending holiday expenses- I am getting overwhelmed and stressed! I am thinking of different ways to cut back on anything and everything just so I don't overspend, overstress, and especially skip paying a bill for the holidays.

Anyone else going through this? What are you doing to stretch your money these last two months? Any ideas and or tips appreciated!

#2 ·
I put $100 in the budget for Nov and Dec for this Christmas. That is for 10 people and so far so good, I bought the 3 nephew-1-niece gifts and stayed under my $10 for each of them!

Two items for my SIL were from Freecycle, brand new unopened items. I might not get anything else for her and use that money towards someone else in the list.

I think the trick to the holidays is to scout all year long and to bake for people who already have everything but time.

YOU CAN DO THIS!

Reactions: Libby
#3 ·
We have college age kids (2) and we just got an unexpected bill for $1800. DD decided to take 3 classes instead of 2 due to lack of hours at her job. And vehicle ins is due.
What I did
-Dh and I agreed to a small xmas. Homemade and used goods.
Maybe a much needed mattress

-We are paying the car ins. in full to save 150. and excluding Ds because he isn't driving at university anyway saving another $150.

-We are just not buying "stuff". No dollar store,no estate sales,etc.
-We are just buying minimal at the groc. too and shopping at home for replacements
-we are fixing stuff. We are downloading manuals that repairmen use and then troubleshooting and ordering the parts off the web.
-We are wearing 2nd day clothes to clean house and do yard work. We have reduced.
-we veiw movies and computer games and play cards. Dh getting an ereader has really reduced costs.

#4 ·
~I'm an end of the year stretcher too but it's not about the holidays. I want to make my goal of only spending such and such.
I'm rarely going out so that helps. I'm buying only very important stuff when I do. I actually put off buying a pack of gum because I had to think about whether or not it was a need. For my sensory kid, it kinda is.
I've needed jeans for two months but I'm making do with what I have for now.
I reduced the grocery budget by $50 last month and came really close to making it so I'll count it as a success.
I'm trying to use up what food we have here in the house instead of shopping frequently.
Another big things that's helped is my BIL sending us day old breads, bagels, chips and goodies. He's a grocery vendor and has made friends with other vendors who now let him shop their "to trash" racks. The stuff is great and has saved me about $30 in the last two months. We have a ton of bread in the freezer.
Another thing I do this time of year is to sell sell sell. I get out what we aren't using, and make some money we can spend without affecting my budget. It's my end of the year bonus. :D ~

#5 ·
I, too, have been trying to cut back a lot. I 'thought' I was doing good in the month of September until I got my c/c bill and noticed we overspent!...AGAIN! Onto LofC it goes! :sigh: So, I've tightened my purse strings and am trying to buy the minimum. I bought winter boots for both of my daughters off kijiji...paid a total of $13 for the two pairs of boots--would have cost over $80 had I paid new at a store. I try my darndest to have as many no spend days as possible and ask myself if I 'need' or 'want' something. In the past two weeks, my c/c is really low, but now I feel poor. But I'm not going to let my feelings supercede my frugal ways. I have to stay focused and realize that I'd rather feel poor than really be poor in the end. KWIM?

Reactions: steelergal
#6 ·
I am trying to cut back by using more food from the freezer & pantry & trying to cut back on no spend day for once i go to store it hard not to spend more then i had intended to i also had car insurance this month to pay.

Reactions: steelergal
#7 ·
I do not plan on doing any stockpiling of groceries or HBA this month or next. I need every dollar that I can save. I had to cut my Christmas list down to the bare minimum of people. I only spent $35 on dh's gift. We also need to save for some things that have broken that need to be replaced. We are keeping our out of the way driving to out of the way places to only the bare minimum to the church and to the grocery stores and that is about the only places that we are going except to doctor appointments next month that are kind of far away. We are using about 1/2 less tank of gas per month by doing that.

That is all that I can think of for now. I am anxious to see what others have to say in this thread.

A2M

#8 ·
We are on the budget plan with our electric and the average is 200.00 a month so like now when the bill will go down because we can turn off the air and we don't have to run the heat here in Florida but once or twice a year and that is gas , I still pay the 200.00 even though what is owed is much less. That way a few times a year like right about now we have so much of a credit balance I don't have to pay for two months. The extra expenses of the holidays is made way less of a burden this way. The same goes for the water bill and the gas bill. I budget so much a month and continue to pay that even if the bill is lower so I build a credit with those also. It may not work for everyone but it works for me.

Also my dd started working and we were sharing my truck which ment I was stuck home all week. It has saved me gas money as she pays for what she uses. Now I wait till the weekend and use the car my dh drives to work which is way better on gas to do my shopping on the weekends and just put in what little gas I actually use. I have been putting my gas savings in my ING account.

#9 ·
I think it's the time of year.

There are a lot of extra things to do/pay for.

I am *trying* to keep Christmas simple and stress free (ha!)

I asked the kids today what parts of the holiday that they most look forward to and what we may be able to pass on (Gingerbread houses are out!).

Hang in there.

#10 ·
I try to save up monthly for Christmas - as a regular part of the budget. Luckily last year, I was able to get a great jump start towards my goal for this year's Christmas. The budget covers: gifts, wrapping/decor supplies, gas money for traveling to visit with friends and dinners out plus a lil something extra for the 'just in case' situations.

I like the idea of giving homemade food gifts especially baked goods. :D

Oddly enough, DH just started asking me what I'd like for Christmas :yikes:

#12 ·
we seem to have a family curse that something bad happens every november money wise
and this year it came 3 days early - a car repair for dd - well several things needed repaired and since we finally got it from her to fix which is hard with her schedule of college and work - when the tire blew and she had no choice we did it all.

989 $
and my work was slow last week and is even slower this week
:(
and being per deim i am last person on the totem pole when it comes to getting work

i shop for holidays year round for some things and for others i save up the $$ monthly or the GC i earn and save them for gifts .

when my kids were much younger i think when i just had 2 and they were under 7 i had a bad november and was very stressed about the holiday until the few days before and i decided i would never put myself in that position again. i figured a toy or item clothes etc i got at 75% off in june or a GC i earned during the year may not be exactly what they want but its better than nothing at all.

and when December comes and if am lucky enough to be able to get other gifts they may be requesting etc - if i have extras from 75% off sale they go into the gift box for birthdays or we donate them to toys for tots etc .

It was an eye opener that year that i really only could blame myself for any holiday stress - i had to shop last minute was in my bedroom wrapping when we had friends over for christmas eve - decided i would never do that again .

THAT SAID - of course come november its too late for that so:

find toys your kids have outgrown and sell them on craigslist etc

one year i sold my sons old geo tracks and used the money for a set of drums -very little money out of pocket

last year we had a yardsale and i combined the money from that and a sale at a craft store of buy 1 get 1 to get same son some k'nex kits and to buy 20yo a 50$ GC to salad works

i also just say no . even if they are santa believers i tell them santa knows mom has the final say - one thing 10 yo wants is an electric spark scooter - i said no . other gift he wants is his bigger main gift he can wait for birthday for that esp since he wont be doing alot of scootering in december ,

#13 ·
i also do less stock piling and more pantry freezer eating this time of year more because of the usual unexpected money things that happen this month rather than the holidays

#14 ·
Last year when I started back to work I took advantage of the Christmas Club offered. It's automatically taken out. Since I had only started getting a paycheck a few weeks before I didn't hardly notice it. I had more taken out than I would ever spend on Christmas but look at that as either emergency fund or to put in the trailer. Either way I'm glad I did it.

I've also picked up a couple things gift wise. Out of state kids and grandkids will be gift cards.

I've also been doing the major grocery trip every 2 weeks and picking up or only sales in between.

Been trying to use more out of pantry/stockpile and freezer especially since it needs to be gone and replenished/updated.

I had slacked up a little on watching the electric...not much...but some. I'm back to electric nazi.

#15 ·
I so hear about Murphy- he always visits us this time of year, I think that is one of the reasons why I stress so much this time of year! My DH's battery is basically dead, thank goodness his jumper box is helping for now (he will be getting a new battery for vehicle later today). The unexpected bills are the biggest stressor for me!

I do try to buy throughout the year for the holidays for certain things, my girls are basically done (besides picking up my layaway). I did do a Christmas club this year, next year I plan on putting a bit more in so the stress factor is not as bad (a stress free Christmas is unheard of for me! LOL!). We have cut back on what we are getting the girls this year, but we got back into a family grab bag so that makes it a bit tighter (and of course we got both of my BIL's- grrr they are the hardest to buy for on the IL side!).

I also have decided not to worry a whole lot on the pantry/freezer stockpile, I will try to use up what we have because the last trip to the grocery store turned out to be a lot more expensive than planned (even while buying the sales and getting what was needed!).

I think I will also have several no spend days, I need to get my house completely winterized, organize the Christmas presents, declutter and deep clean the house for the holidays.

#16 ·
I have been trying to spend less for months now.

That said I am enjoying spending some now for Christmas presents ( and even the make up on myself) been keeping the spending down on those by looking for and chasing the deal as well as being creative.

I'm looking forward to the holiday baking cooking ( Thanksgiving Christmas, New Years) and buying the ingredients ( except the ones needed fresh) a bit at a time so they sneak into the regular grocery budget.

Reactions: QM
#17 ·
I usually spend less all year and shop sales/clearances for gifts, but this year things are really tight. With DH starting his own business this year, and several major repairs on his truck (he's a truck driver, so these were necessary and over $1500 each time), I just don't have the money saved up to get things done like I usually do. I'm trying not to let it stress me out. We've paired down the gift list, and I'm shopping for the kids as sales and great deals come up. Guess I'm lucky that my kids no longer believe in santa, and they know the basic situation of our finances. The few things they have asked for are not high in cost - though we have a few more expensive things we know they would enjoy and we plan to get those for them too - so getting there gifts isn't so much of a problem. More people will be getting homemade baking/candy gifts this year too. Seems that goes over better with the people I give to anyway lol.

#18 ·
My health is worse, and job prospects have been worse since our spring & summer flood, so my work income has dropped to $200 per month or less.
After the truth sank it, and I got over the shock and fear aspect, I re-did my budget to a bare-bones type.
I'm committed to bare-minimum groceries, and cutting out all unnecessary expenses. My Christmas gifts will be handmade, and I worked on a rag-rug yesterday, which I think is looking pretty good.
I've also got some gift-type items stashed away, so I should be able to make up gift-boxes & with a basket of homemade baking, that will suffice, in addition to sending out my Christmas cards.

I refuse to worry or cry about it; this is just the way it is.
I'll be alright; God will help me, and He has given me my stockpile and my emergency fund. I've got resources, and I will be making the most of them. With less employment, I will have more time to cook, bake, sew & mend, make crafts, clean & repair, and repurpose items. I'll use this time well and wisely, and save money. And some R&R will be nice too, after so many hectic years without a change or a vacation. I want to get in touch with Nature again.

#19 ·
I did really good about spending less in September and the first part of October. I chose not to buy any new fall clothes and was only spending money on bills and groceries and gas.

But in the last couple of weeks i have been spending.
New winter boots
Dr appts
Prescriptions

I will be spending a little money for my dad's birthday gift and of course Christmas gifts for the family. Also i will need to make a dish for Thanksgiving. I don't forsee spending that much on Christmas gifts this year.

I am hoping i will have a couple weeks in November to curb spending. Good luck to all

#20 ·
i started a thread where we can help each other find the best deal on an item we are looking for to make it less stressfull .
there is also a thread i started a few weeks ago on deals - advertised or unadvertised we come upon to share that someone may be able too use as a gift .

check them out may be of some help

#22 ·
We just took in my husband's 17 year old nephew and we are helping out his Dad and that is creating unexpected costs for us. I'm feeling the stress, but I have decided to give it to God. I can't control it all and hubby and I have talked, things will be tight this month. As long as we can provide a great Thanksgiving I will be happy this month. I have been able to purchase some Christmas gifts and we have some stuff on layaway and we will be putting a little more on this month. Hubby had a talk with his nephew that he needs to find a job, we shall see if that happens, we will put a roof over his head and feed him and that is it.

#23 ·
I have actually been trying to build up my stockpile for the last month to get ready for an impending layoff in February, but we had some bills come due this week that means there is no grocery money until next paycheck (bi-weekly), sooooo we will be living off of the stockpile for two weeks. I am very glad we have it, it just means being a little more creative and no complaining from the guys LOL.

#24 ·
This is just not my 'time of year' to cut back....but I also build
up some of my stockpile too.

I am baking for Christmas gifts. So that means hitting some sales.
And............spending more.

I can say I have been very careful with the $ I will pay.

Wellllllllllll...........until I went to our NEW TRADER JOE'S today........:thud: Had a splurge day today........Trader Joe's and Costco in the same day.......:thud: disaster!!!! :thud:

#25 ·
We are trying to be more frugal with our spending. I've been making more meals at home (which has been hard as I've been horridly sick w/sinuses & will soon be having sinus surgery). But on the days that I feel pretty decent, I make enough to have leftovers & then freeze the leftovers (sometimes individually, sometimes family size). That way on days I don't feel good I can just pop leftovers on & be done with it.

I've been searching out recipes & putting them into "practice" ... things like what to do with old bananas (sick of banana bread & smoothies) so I've been making banana pudding w/nilla wafers & such. Found an awesome recipe & my son, has been requesting that I make certain things. For a Momma who has always been a little reserved that I could make a good home cooked meal, I've been less concerned with how perfect it comes out as to experimenting & seeing if we like it. If we like it, then I keep the recipe, if not, it was a lesson learned. So far, I've had way more "keep" recipes than "not" lol ... I have a full pantry, so that helps! It's just I'm not always certain how to use it to the best of my ability. BUT!!! I'm learning!

Because I've been trying out new recipes & cooking more, I've noticed I stay home more & out of the stores. I've been getting more & more organized, making sure laundry is done, cleaning, redecorating (with what I already have on hand), & spending more time just hanging out with my husband & son. I've really been enjoying it! :hat:

We haven't even begun Christmas shopping, however, the more organized I get this house, the more "stuff" I'm finding... several times during the years I would have gifts I'd've bought my niece or nephew & then it "disappeared" on me & I'd have to get another one. So now that I've found those presents, it can either go to them for Christmas (if appropriate) or go to another kid in our family, etc.

I've also been impressing on my dh that he needs to take his lunch to work (instead of getting it from fast food etc) & he's been doing very well at it!!!

Another thing I've been doing is counting my blessings. I don't really NEED anything other the medical stuff going on now, we don't NEED anymore clothes or shoes, etc. Reminding myself that "this new thing" will not make my life better in any way, helps me to see reality rather than to get up on the hype of "what if" ... if that makes any sense lol...

Kim

#26 ·
I notice the fall is always spendy for us. I am stocking up the pantry/freezer, finishing off work on the house to prepare for winter, and we have 3 birthdays and an anniversary before Christmas.

This year we've decided to simplify things. The kids are all getting money on their student loans for Christmas and birthdays. DH and I are alone for Christmas and we've decided to have a 'no gift' Christmas. We were going to go away, but with my new diet I can't eat in restaurants. So we'll be staying home...I think.

The truth is, come January I am going to be housebound while DH has the car at work. It gets mega cold and very icy. I'll probably be housebound till March. Unless it's a dire emergency. We'll see. I will undoubtedly be saving money during those months.

My challenge is to not spend money over the Internet. :) I don't like shopping in general, but the Net makes it real easy. Especially when I can find things we can't find locally.

I've toyed with the idea of starting a thread here at the Village where I post every single penny spent out of disposable income, with the idea that the accountability would keep me in check. I don't know though. It didn't work on my vacation thread. I'm wondering just what might work for me... I'm open to new ideas too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.