Frugal Village Forums banner

Alternative to Straight Talk...Trying Republic Wireless

6K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Pianolady 
#1 ·
This is my first "official" post, aside from my intro, but I thought I'd let you guys know of something my wife and I ran across a few weeks ago. First of, a little "setup"...

We currently contract with Verizon and our two year contract ends in January 2012, thankfully! Currently we have one smart phone and one feature phone with some minute packs. Basically, we pay about $120/month.

Faced with the prospect of re-upping our contract, I did a quick calculation and realized I didn't want to spend another $120/month for 2 years ($2,880 + the cost of two new phones...OUCH!). With this in mind, my wife and I were considering the move to Straight Talk at walmart which we guessed would cost us just shy of $70/month after taxes, or $1680 for two years. As most of you know, this is NOT a data plan, but has unlimited minutes/texts.

Then I heard of a new wireless company called Republic Wireless and so I signed up for the beta/email list because they weren't in business yet. But last week I got an email stating that they were opening up a limited beta and so I got in just in time! This plan costs $19/month and includes unlimited data/minutes/texts and has an initial phone purchase price of $199/ android smartphone, but we got a coupon deal for beta (expired now) for $99/phone startup. By the way, this is a no contract deal as well.

So we save $200 on this deal and I figured if the service is horrible, I only have to stick with it for four months to have spent the same amount as we would on Straight Talk. The 2 year cost for this plan is $198 for the phones and first month and $19/month/phone thereafter for a total of $1072 for two years...WOW

I just thought Id share it with you guys and will keep you up to date once the phone comes in the mail. Im part of their second mailing for beta users and we'll get our phones in December/January!

I can't post links yet, so google "republic wireless" and you can see what Im talking about!

See less See more
#2 ·
we also have Verizon, but no smartphones. we have the cheapest text/calling plan and our bill is still $94. our contract is up in April 2012 and we are thinking of changing over to Straight Talk. I will have to check out republic wireless and see how they compare. thanks for the info :)

#3 ·
It looks like this service uses wifi most of the time. It alots you550 minutes of actual cellular time, apart from wifi time (as well as limits on texts and internet useage on the cellular network). It uses the Sprint network for cellular service. If you consistently go over the cellular limits, they will terminate your membership.

So if, like me, you don't have wifi access at home(or other places you use your phone), and use your phone a lot there, then you risk them throwing you out of their network. I knew there had to be a catch!

If you spend most of your time in places with wifi access, then it should work great.

#4 ·
From my inquiries with republic wireless they state thats assuming you use zero wifi. Apparently you can use unlimited on the cellular network portion, but you need to use a certain percentage of it purely on wifi. So basically, if I download a gigabyte of data on wifi, that allows me to download, say 2gb on the cellular plan for that month. The cool thing is that their app on the phone shows you your graph so it won't be a surprise about where you're at. It won't work for some, but I hope it works for me because Id rather have an extra $1800 in our pockets :)

I'll keep everyone updated on the beta! Anyone else out there get in on the beta?

#6 ·
I only have my cell phone, and it is also my work phone. I get unlimited everything, including data, plus a free LG android smartphone through RawData for $40 a month. The service is through Sprint. RawData is a market research firm similar to Nielson Ratings. There is an app on the phone that records what TV and radio shows and commercials you are listening to via the digital signals, similar to a Nielson box. It doesn't record your phone conversations or any audio.

This is an awesome deal for me because I need a phone with a high data usage plan due to my business. The same plan through sprint would run me at least $100, and it wouldn't be unlimited.

#7 ·
I'm a big fan of Virgin Mobile, which also uses the Sprint network, but got "in" when the monthly rate was $25. So far, the old rate has been grandfathered in, so I'll keep it as long as possible. Even at $35 now, it's a good deal if you don't use more than 350 talk minutes per month (which I don't). This is the only cell phone I've ever had, with or without a contract, that gets good reception at my house (including the basement), so I canceled my land line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.