Frugal Village Forums banner

Frugal Holiday dressing - share your outfits

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Ponderer 
#1 ·
Dressing up for Christmas ( or our preferred Holiday) is fun. It is fun to get dressed up in finery.

Do you do so frugally?

Share your frugal outfits.

#2 ·
I like to wear a nice pair of black slacks with a killer pair of heels (this year's heels will probably be the ones I bought for $20 at Ardene's that are suede and harbour a five-inch stiletto heel) and a long sweater with a belt (the sweater I got for 50% off and the belt was $5).

I had been eyeballing a cute cocktail dress with sequins that was $20 at Winner's, but I'm not usually the dressy type unless it's New Years Eve.

#3 ·
My party dress ( and Christmas Eve Service dress) is
a silk like skirt flows so beautifully - hand me down - free
Silk like ruffle shirt from J Jill clearance bought with a gift card - free
Sweater it is cold here - Goodwill - $3.50

Outfit $3.50 unless you count my shoes They were $100 shoes bought new looking at Goodwill for $7.50

So complete I feel glamorous outfit for $11 ( and the shoes were not bought this year)

Little Miss' Party ( Christmas Eve service dress)
A Christmas dress ("velvet" "satin" and sequined lace overlay) from last year bought at a consignment sale - $5
Paired in Justice style with a pair of leggings - bought at Goodwill $1.50

$6.50 outfit (none paid this year everything was already in her drawer/closet)

Now the shoes were a different story payless shoes These Girls - Smartfit - Jeweled Two Piece Dress Shoe - Payless Shoes

They were part of her Halloween costume and now her dress up outfit. We did pay the $19.99 for them but they have been well worth it we wears them any chance she gets.

Total outfit including shoes $26.50 none spent in November or December.

#4 ·
um....I don't dress up for Christmas. I'm 'the help'. LOL.

I have 29 people over on Christmas eve, and 23 on Christmas day. I cook....a lot. I wear comfortable and light clothes (the kitchen is HOT), and comfy shoes. And usually my shirt that says "Dear Santa...I can explain...."

Reactions: imagine
#5 ·
My preferred festive outfit - stretchy pants and a very baggy tee - both very old, worn in and purchased from clearance section eons ago. :D

MTTB - If budget allows, go back and buy that dress - wear it for New Years (host a simple shin dig with a dress code) :D

#6 ·
libby your "outfit" sounds right up my alley :)
i wear jeans and shirt or fleece top to my parents for dinner and then it jammies at my house.
to the work dance i will wear either a $5 goodwill dress or black slacks & a stiped black/white shirt my mom gave me with my jewelry bought at the $5 jewelry sale - haven't decided yet. and new year's i look forward to spending snuggled on the couch with the catkids in sweats or my jammies. only comfortwear going on here :grinch:

Reactions: Libby
#7 · (Edited)
I'll be 22 weeks pregnant at Christmas. Knowing I have a few parties to attend, but with different people, I bought a simple black cocktail dress in a second hand maternity store. I love the way it "showcases" my belly! I'll pair it with different shoes and accessories I already own.
I spent only 20$ for the dress which is a bargain. A new dress at the maternity store would have been over 80$!

#8 ·
Diva has her Christmas concert at school Tuesday and she has to wear a dress.

I bought the dress last year after the holidays for 75% off, I think I paid $5 for it. She isn't a girly girl, so I had to buy her tights and dress shoes ($25, but hopefully she will wear them again)

My outfit to wear to the concert (and then to the ex-inlaws Christmas morning for a visit) is a red sweater and black silky pants bought at the store down the street that is closing. Each cost $4.

OldMan will be wearing his uniform since he is working the 25th :ugh:

Once I get back from the outlaws house on the 25th, I am changing in to my jammies. Diva will too. It's our "thing"

For New Years Eve - we will be decked out in our finest flannel jammies and tinfoil tiaras :lol:

#9 ·
Hehe or lol, I just bought my first xmas sweater in vest form. It's red with big snow flakes for $12. I was going to wear it to the office with khakis.

I also bought a candycane pin for $2.

I don't have any formal holiday or New Years events planned this year. But, the next time I lose some weight, I do think I will find a flattering little mainly black dress for these occasions.

I have one purple (periwinkle) suit with skirt and jacket with crawl color and bell sleeves which does work for day events. I gave up dressing up for funerals and just wear some black slacks or skirt and a blouse + sweater.

I did need a new coat this year due to ah-hum, hitting the junk food too hard. I opted for a black pea coat in wool blend. It's a mid-thigh length. Grant total: $30 + tax. The local reject first-run store has had some good buys recently but the thrift has been totally reliable for leisure and office stuff.

#12 ·
I am home and in comfy clothes. Either cotton lounge wear or jammies. It is all about the comfort for me....always has been.

Reactions: imagine
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.