Frugal Village Forums banner

I need a yummy frugal dip for Christmas Eve

1K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  greekislandgirl 
#1 ·
we are having veggies with dip, crackers with spreads, and a meat and cheese platter and small hard rolls.

I need a dip that would be good for veggies and crackers.

I am already planning a hummus

and I am planning on the cream cheese with pepper jelly someone her at FV mentioned earlier ( Thanks to whom that was)

#6 ·
Oh....I will be watching this one........love new ideas.

For crackers.......and if you do homemade canning and have homemade salsa......pour a jar of salsa over some cream cheese. (I like it with veggies, but not everyone does!) some people stir them together...........

wunsagin............that sounds good.......will have to try it.
I usually use a can of clams or salad shrimp........not real frugal but darn good!!

#7 ·
Reactions: imagine
#8 ·
We had that yummy dip ( the elaborate one) at Thanksgiving at it was a big hit.

#9 ·
Reactions: imagine
#11 ·
ina garten (barefoot contessa) has a fab recipe that i make OFTEN.... its her green herb dip...i think sourcream, cream cheese, garlic, chives, parsley and dill all in a food processor and waaalaaa you have a fab dip! do look it up as it is a fabulous stuffing for straberry tomatoes also!

#13 ·
You don't have to use onion soup mix to make French Onion Dip. You can caramelize onions yourself. This is how I do it, they don't sell the mix here but even so the taste is 1000x better if you caramelize the onions yourself. Slowly caramelize sliced onions (about 40 minutes in a skillet on medium heat) with about 1 tbsp of olive oil (stir them every few minutes). When they are caramelized, puree them and add to Greek yogurt. You can use the 0% or 2% fat kind. I also add some fat-free mayonnaise, about 3 parts yogurt to 1 part mayo. The end result is extremely low-calorie, and tastes WAY better than store bought or onion mix versions.

Homemade Ranch Dip is really easy and good also:

2 containers of Greek yogurt (0% or 2% fat)
4 tbsp mayonnaise (I use fat-free, doesn't matter)
2 tbsp very finely chopped green onion
1 tsp (yes, it's a lot!) freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp finely grated parmesan or romano cheese - this is optional
a little salt
2 tbsp fresh parsley or 1/2 tbsp dried parsley

Stir it all together. If you want to use it as a salad dressing instead of a dip, thin with a little milk (stir it in a little at a time until you reach desired consistency).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.