Frugal Village Forums banner

Anyone else prepping for bad times ahead?

4K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  larabelle 
#1 ·
I've been listening to a lot of predictions for the years ahead and paying attention to my own geographical area and I'm prepping for bad times coming. Maybe I'm wrong, which would be great, but I'm going to work on the "what if" principle. I'm taking care of debt, working on extra streams of income, building up our pantry, purchasing guns, some guard dogs, and purchasing a property where we are placing a second home. It's for my brother and his family. My mother is moving in with us, so that we can take care of her financially and she is helping with taking over with child care responsibilities when hubby and I work. I'm storing up on clothes for each of my kiddos, the baby is just a year old and I already have items going up to her being a size 4T. I just think it is better to be safe than sorry. Anyone else stocking up and getting prepped?

#3 ·
Yes, prepping over here in Greece too. Things are probably going to get worse before they get better. The pantry is bursting at the seams. We're paying off our debt on time but not trying to rush it in case the currency changes in our favor. I work on building community with others so we watch out for each other. Not relying on electricity for things as much as possible. Keeping our money out of the country and doing our best to increase our savings. No weapons or dogs (although we are very friendly with the local stray dogs and we just gave one a warm rug yesterday when it was cold and wet - they feel territorial and protective towards us). I'm not getting involved with weapons - I'm just not there yet mentally. DH is ex-army and knows how to handle weapons and if it becomes necessary I suppose he'll deal with that. One of my resolutions for 2012 along with everybody else is to get more physically fit. Obviously staying healthy is really important if things are bad. And come spring, I plan to start a balcony garden, even though our light is pretty poor, I figure I can do something.

#4 ·
I think the idea that bad times are coming and we must prepare now is a historically consistent human idea. Getting ready and being ready make one feel more secure. Who doesn't want to feel more secure?

Do I think the global economy is teetering on the edge of going off a cliff? Absolutely. And it probably will crash and we'll have a global depression. However, I don't think things would get so bad that governments would fail and chaos would ensue. This isn't the break up of the Roman Empire. We aren't going into another Dark Ages. I do believe the standard of living of most Westerners could shrink dramatically. I hope it does because I think the rate of consumption of the average Westerner is obscene.

I do think there will continue to be governments and order. I don't think I'm going to have to shoot people coming to steal my food--and I wouldn't anyway. So I don't have guns and have no intention of getting any. If I thought things were going to get that bad, I'd stockpile 2 decades worth of food and water, not 2 years. But no matter what I could do, it would be pointless. I could never have enough guns and ammo to hold those who wanted my stuff at bay even if I were going to get my own arsenal. But maybe if I had shoulder-mounted rocket launchers...

#6 ·
I do think there will continue to be governments and order. I don't think I'm going to have to shoot people coming to steal my food--and I wouldn't anyway. So I don't have guns and have no intention of getting any. If I thought things were going to get that bad, I'd stockpile 2 decades worth of food and water, not 2 years. But no matter what I could do, it would be pointless. I could never have enough guns and ammo to hold those who wanted my stuff at bay even if I were going to get my own arsenal. But maybe if I had shoulder-mounted rocket launchers...
I often think that if things DID get that bad (which I also doubt) that one would need to have stockpiled a decade's worth of supplies, I'd rather be among the ones that don't make it. What a miserable way to live!

My stockpile is not intended to make up for food shortage. It's to enable me to purchase items ONLY when they go on sale, thus saving me money over time. :)

#7 ·
if things get that bad, I don't think I'll be worrying about having clothing or canned food for years to come. I'll focus more on the fact that I am a runner, an avid outdoorswoman and believe that my BF and I could easily survive and thrive in the wilderness.
You mean you don't have a plan for the Zombie Apocolypse? We do :)

#9 ·
I'm not in the States either, but we in Canada feel a world wide recession coming on as well. Possibly depression. We aren't sure yet. Technically we're doing okay. But if Europe goes, Canada is in trouble.

So yeah, I have a full pantry and freezer. I am struggling with my new diet and wondering how much I can acquire and store as cheaply as possible for how long. I seem to be going through tapioca starch and rice flour at an alarming rate!

No weapons here. We'll be sharing with people around us if I have anything to say about it. DH might have other ideas. But we'll see. I do tend to sneak things out behind his back to people. I figure if I do all the work for the canning, then I can give some of it away to people who will return the jars. And when he wants to throw things out that still have life left in them, I try to make sure they are recycled to someone who can use them. I consider this building up 'cache' with the neighbors/friends. They help me too. I suspect we will rely more and more on each other as time goes by.

We're going over our budget for the new year now, and I'm looking at ways to cut. It's looking tight with all my medical issues this year, but we're going to have to figure out a way to do it. I'm torn between paying off the kids student loans or hanging onto the money in case they need to move closer to home at some point. I'm leaning more towards the latter than the former at the moment.

#12 ·
I'm in England, I dont really understand the financial stuff so wondered if you can explain the "if Europe goes, Canada is in trouble" thing. What do you guys think will happen?

Your point about relying more and more on each other, I've been getting that feeling lately, as in more people are thrift shopping here and reusing/repurposing/recycling things and passing them on to people who may need it rather than throwing things away. A friend now passes on her daughter's clothes which didnt used to happen but she knows we're in the same boat. My Mum knows our situation and asks around when we need something which recently resulted in free wood for our fire. It has made me think that the worse things get the more we will do this. I just have no idea how bad things are going to get.

#10 ·
Like greekislandgirl I'm trying to get a pantry going to only buy sale items, but not for emergencies - just to lower our grocery bill (which we are struggling with). We are trying to get out of debt and save a larger EF, but we would be doing that with/without any crisis looming. We can't really do anymore than we are right now, so I can't 'prepare' any more than getting out of debt and trying to save every penny we can.

#11 ·
Do I think we're in for a bad ride ahead in 2012...yes.
Am I prepared...probably not, but I'm working on it.
Guns...yes, we have them. But we had them before we heard any potential negative predictions or had any bad feeling/vibes. I really don't know if I'm willing to attempt to stockpile weapons or ammo...but not saying it's not a good idea...cause it probably is.
Guard dogs...again, had them before any predictions...unfortunately, I lost one in October...and still miss him terribly. :( At this time, I'm not interested in getting another dog.
And yes, I DO stockpile...but again, I was already working on this before hand to save money.

#17 ·
...unfortunately, I lost one in October...and still miss him terribly. :( At this time, I'm not interested in getting another dog.
So sorry for the loss of your dog. We've had that happen to us and it hurts so much. They are a part of your family. Take care.

Reactions: Paws
#13 ·
I don't know if I'm ready for the zombie apocolypse, I need the "How to deal with zombies for Dummies book". LOL! I like the idea of getting a sense of community. It's something I am learning to foster more. Today, a friend came over and let me use her new carpet shampooer and told me not to buy one and just use hers when we need it. She brought over her 2 adorable little ones who my kiddos played with and kept out of her hair. My oldest daughter played babysitter to the baby. I would like to do more of that with other families.

#15 ·
tiff: as I understand it Canada is invested in Europe quite a bit. And the repercussions of Europe going under are significant for us. I'm not an economist or financial person, so I don't know all the ins and outs of the situation. All I know is I've been told to watch for Europe.

It's funny, because I'd think the US going south would be a greater concern for us. But our government seems to be more concerned about Europe. At least if you listen to our news and talk to people.

#16 ·
I have a mindset for preparation, including everything except for the dogs and guns. Dogs cost too much, guns too, and that just sets the stage for conflict.
My parents made it through The Great Depression without guns or dogs (as they pertained to defensive actions against marauding humans). Dad had guns, but only for hunting. We had a dog once, but he didn't like living in town, so went to live with a farm family.

I also believe in The Second Coming of the Lord Jesus Christ, which is eminent, being one of the next Biblical prophecies to be fulfilled.

#19 ·
I really have no idea how bad it will be but But I think that the economy is not getting any better. Am I worried about my debt yes and no I pay what I can. But I am much more concearned about my stockpile, how much the cost of gas is going up, and maintaining our needs. We have no guns and we want 1 not an arsenal...We have 3 dogs, 2 are little and 1 is middle sized they bark a lot....So a little worried but not distraught.

#20 ·
I wouldnt even know where to buy a gun in England, most people here wouldnt get a licence for one, only criminals have them lol

I suppose my question is, what are you prepping for? Is it hard times as in expensive food/cost of living or is it for something more than that, ie food shortages etc?

#23 ·
I hear ya. There is a bad element of professional scams taking over this country. The victims are just being used to feed the system without a thought for their health or financial stability. It's all to feed 'the professional lifestyle'. There are a lot of silent supporters and speaking out gets you called crazy. These scams are overwhelming the social services and charity system and even the govt is threatened. It's no longer a matter of ethics and honesty in business, it's just a matter of deciding if you can tolerate what is wrong in some workplaces or do you wish to move on. You're better off not confronting employer unless you are being set up to take the fall for something illegal, then be assertive. Otherwise, if you don't want your name associated with an employer or financial dependence on something that will eventually cause a legal scandal, find another job.

I'm working on getting off a govt handout which is threatened so often, it makes me nervous. I need to be working again soon...I hit a loophole in the system that will screw me if I don't pull myself out. I have to take out some loans (on top of the devastated savings and bills from marginalization and a stalking I've been enduring) to get the right education to get into another field. Office support work is now $1 above minimum wage even with 5 years of experience plus a business suit manditory environment. Call centers here closed; aerospace was always impossible to get into without connections and lays off every other year as a rule.

Very much to my disappointment, I'm going to have to undertake a court battle to get my stalker to leave me alone. This will be at my expense too...the local free system will not help me as there is more than one defendant. Legal aid won't take this either.

My goals:
1. Education
2. Lose weight so I may take any kind of job just to survive.
3. Court ordered relief of my stalking, harassment. Maybe restitution granted.
4. Get paid part-time job in my field -- throw it at the debts.
5. Move into full-time job -- throw it at the debts.
6. Replace vehicle or expect major bills as I worn it out running around finding full-time work.
7. Increase savings.

Luxury thoughts are not allowed right now. I just think about work.

I had it so good before the stalking issue affected my health and left me on welfare. I see now, this was the man's intention from the start...there were others. His wealth has him protected and able to run around torturing people without the need of having to earn a live.

Taking xmas time to focus on my coping skills. All the damages, harassment, threats and my frustration with the cops/courts has really taken a toll on my physical and mental health. I need my 'peace' back for my well-being.

#24 ·
Not really yet, but we've talked about it. Hubby wants me to have cash on hand. In the new year, we will be eating down our current stockpile and paying down bills/saving an on hand emergency fund with an eye to starting a more organized planned stockpile. We have special diet needs as well s five kids making things a bit more difficult.

#25 ·
well to buy and get a gun itsnot so easy to get here ...you need to go to the police and they check you up...and so on.. ...it takes time so long time.

but we have a dog, she is kinda small and tiny ,but she doesnt bark so mutch :)

i have a nice size of stockpile and im saiving cash and buying gold and silver+junk silver too...

beacouse i think 2012 its gonna be hell of a year ..globaly

#26 ·
I'm going to be working on paying down our debt and building a stockpile in the coming months. I'm not focusing so much on building up a savings aside from what we already have, because if things get really bad, it's not going to do any good. You can't eat money, least of all devalued money.

But yeah, I get that feeling too.

#27 ·
Well we are also stockpiling.
The debts are all paid off and the EF is funded however now we are saving for a house.
No to guns however lately we have been thinking about it.
Only one little dog ...and he does not even try to knip the UPS man's feet. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.